• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BBgjhy1CEAA78pJ.png

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Euskaltel picking up some nice points here :) Nice to see Blanco with good start. After the months they had, it's should be great for the team morale!

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Was it just me watching online or did everyone else seen just the winner and nothing else but trees and trees and trees? At least online they didnt show what happened after Gerrans crossed the line. If I'm not alone, this race really is a real joke.

Edit: maybe not the race but the event organizers and TV coverage.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is a great day for Slagter. He has been overshadowed by other climbers like Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the team, because these four are supposedly more talented. But now Slagter will get recognition as a WT stage race contender.

He reminds me of Purito. Such powerful acceleration on short steep climbs.

CQmanager said:
Was it just me watching online or did everyone else seen just the winner and nothing else but trees and trees and trees? At least online they didnt show what happened after Gerrans crossed the line. If I'm not alone, this race really is a real joke.

If you looked carefully through your coloured glasses you would have seen a massive crowd.

TheEnoculator said:
This is a great day for Slagter. He has been overshadowed by other climbers like Gesink, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Kelderman in the team, because these four are supposedly more talented. But now Slagter will get recognition as a WT stage race contender.

Purito is his idol.

Hopefully this is the start of many good things to come.

TheEnoculator said:

The latter is true, he even has the same height and weight as Purito (as per Wikipedia, of course).

But he's not a stage racer, that's what they've been trying to make him, but the really long climbs are just a bit too much for him, thus far. He actually had a free role in the Giro last year, and he managed 30th. But he did show his awesomeness in Assisi.

theyoungest said:
The latter is true, he even has the same height and weight as Purito (as per Wikipedia, of course).

But he's not a stage racer, that's what they've been trying to make him, but the really long climbs are just a bit too much for him, thus far. He actually had a free role in the Giro last year, and he managed 30th. But he did show his awesomeness in Assisi.

He should concentrate on the Ardennes classics.

The old Amstel finishing on the Cauberg would have been perfect for him.

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Squire said:
I think we might have gone for the same bet ;)

Gilbert was at least in the big group that survived the first ascent. Couldn't see Visconti, but he might have been there.

Probably. :)

Just wondering if Visconti was one of those 3 Movistar guys setting the pace?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
CQmanager said:

Yeah, the coverage at the race finish was not great but overall the race is very well organised. You can not deny that.
Geraint Too Fast said:
He just cracked. He didn't completely implode.

He kind of did. Went out ot the back in a short period of time very quickly.

Well done to Slagter but I must say that it was good to see Santaromita climbing so well, he looked great on the climb, going with Machado.

Santaromita has retweeted my tweet about him riding the best I have seen in a long time! :p

JRanton said:
It was an implosion. Not only did he lose 28 seconds to Slagter but he lost 12 seconds in just 600m to the biggest group of contenders who came in at +16 down.

Did he even make the top 20?

Fair enough. Maybe tiredness is affecting my judgement, I'll see if I have a different opinion after a few hours sleep.

TRENDING THREADS