• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
How is the Butcher's TT'ing? Is it acceptable, bad, a little bit horrible or is it a mere disaster?

His results seem to be about the same as Joaquin Rodriguez (he was pretty close to him in the 2011 Vuelta time trial and the 2012 Giro). I don't think he trains a lot on this discipline, maybe he can improve with age, but considering his build he'll probably become below average at best. But if he puts more focus on short hills and classics it wouldn't be much of a problem. His climbing ability in the high mountains is far too poor now for his time trial abilities to become an issue.

Pentacycle said:
He surprised me today and I agree with you that I've underestimated him. But imo he profited from the work Hagen and Thomas did until the last km, where he indeed did one of the best Purito imitations ever, attacking in the last few hundred metres of the race. There was quite a headwind, so any early attacks were pointless. He actually raced very smart.

Purito is still much better though, Slagter will never be close to his awesomeness. :cool:

Duh ofcourse Slagter profited from Hagens work. Hello, this is what all puncheurs do.

movingtarget said:
They really have to do something about the coverage. They showed the first three riders over the line and did not even show where Thomas finished or the time gap. Ridiculous. I wonder is there is also a need to have so many cars parked on the course especially when the roads are often narrow. Pretty dangerous for the riders. Great rides by the first two. Thomas just didn't have the legs. His team were good. Two good stages but the rest were pretty dull. A few longer stages would be good but it's early season and the riders don't seem to mind as it's usually so hot and often quite windy. As usual the last day is an anti climax but Adelaide wants their criterium. I wonder why they don't have the criterium on the first day and then finish the race with a road stage into Adelaide ? Maybe make the race a bit more exciting on the last day.

Have the first criterium on Sunday night, then stages/race starts on Tuesday to Sunday. No point having another Criterium Tuesday night.

Commercially its makes more sense to have over 100K of spectators in city centre on Sunday afternoon for couple of hours.

Hugh

Unkown said:
Don't get why Machado also attacks with 5 km to go and gets caught within the final 2 always.

Just call it style.

Great start of the season for Euskaltel and Blanco, placing 2 riders in the top10. This Izaguirre brothers seem like good all rounders, much more than your typical basque climber. Now let them go away to Movistar just like Intxausti and Castroviejo :D Biggest fail probably comes from Saxo Bank, they couldn't place a rider in the top20. They seem to carry last year form...
Oh and Rafael Valls, a solid top10 today. Not bad, looking forward to his next races!

Lanark said:
His results seem to be about the same as Joaquin Rodriguez (he was pretty close to him in the 2011 Vuelta time trial and the 2012 Giro). I don't think he trains a lot on this discipline, maybe he can improve with age, but considering his build he'll probably become below average at best. But if he puts more focus on short hills and classics it wouldn't be much of a problem. His climbing ability in the high mountains is far too poor now for his time trial abilities to become an issue.

I was wondering this more for races like TA or PN than for GT's. Rodriguez started to ride GC's of GT's pretty late right. Who can tell Slagter will never be able to.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It was nice to see Blanco do so well in it's first race since loss of sponsorship. Really stick it up Rabobank's ****.

The only cycling news in the Netherlands is about doping, so I think Rabobank is very happy they quit in time. There is barely any mention of the TDU in the Dutch media at all at the moment. That is also why I doubt they will find a sponsor anytime soon. You have to be half insane to sponsor a cycling team with the current media behavior.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
honestly I don't get how Radioshack always manage to place multiple riders in the top ten but can never win a damn race!! All they seem to be fantastic at doing is winning team GC!! This has been their talent ever since last year!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
the asian said:
He should concentrate on the Ardennes classics.

The old Amstel finishing on the Cauberg would have been perfect for him.

For Amstel he would have had a very good chance, but it's not an uphill finish this year, so it doesn't really suit him. He has a much better chance with Wallonne. I would put money on him for Wallonne.

If he can handle 250 km to constant climbing, maybe even LBL.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Slagter's program always was about the Ardennes classics this year, he's just getting into shape like the rest of the hilly classics guys. So JTL better watch out ;)

Dutchsmurf said:
The only cycling news in the Netherlands is about doping, so I think Rabobank is very happy they quit in time. There is barely any mention of the TDU in the Dutch media at all at the moment. That is also why I doubt they will find a sponsor anytime soon. You have to be half insane to sponsor a cycling team with the current media behavior.

its a copy of the German media after Ullrich/Puerto in 2006. It cost them T-Mobile and Gerolsteiner and Milram and a lot of German cyclists in the end.

I think Vacans and Argos will feel the effects too (Vacans also searches for a new sponsor btw)

auscyclefan94 said:
Oh yes, I am sure a rider at the age of 23 who is starting out his pro career has plenty of doubters:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: There in this very thread if you'd looked.Predictions saying Slagter was overrated,had no chance,would finish 5th etc.You obviously didnt read the full thread,i tipped Slagter,didnt see many others doing the same.Like you for example?

hughmoore said:
Have the first criterium on Sunday night, then stages/race starts on Tuesday to Sunday. No point having another Criterium Tuesday night.

Commercially its makes more sense to have over 100K of spectators in city centre on Sunday afternoon for couple of hours.

Hugh

Forgot about the earlier race. Oh well it is what it is. I think I enjoyed last year's edition more but Corkscrew stage and Willunga were both good.

Congrats to Gerrans and Slagter.
Sky did very well but having only EBH as a climbing domestique would have hurt Thomas' chances.
I liked the fact Blanco, OGE, Movistar and RS tried to ride aggressively.

Being on Wilunga yesterday was great (atmosphere and all) and i could proudly say i did not get passed by any cyclist going uphill and finished 2 mins in front of my Dad. Menglers was harder though.

The day before (Tanunda) i got 11 autographs- O'Grady, Kittel, Gasparotto, De Gendt, Will Clarke, Howson, Rabon, Favili, Kern, Moinard and Morabito.

Andy would not sign on the day and Gilbert wouldn't either.

movingtarget said:
I think McEwen's commentary has been great. He has found himself an alternative career.

Yeah, for sure. Robbie has always been very passionate about cycling, speaks well, and is not afraid to say anything, and that should serve him well. He's a definite upgrade to Ligett and Sherwin with his knowledge. Maybe P & P won't say so many nutty things this season if Robbie continues to work with them. One thing I like about Robbie is you know where he stands... he really wears his emotions on his sleeves.