• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tirreno - Adriatico

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Publicus said:
Lets go Andy! Let's finish two races in a row! Seriously, I'm hoping for the best--too much talent to see it squandered and my selfish reason is I want a completely stacked Tour this year.

He gave up in strade bianchi :rolleyes:

Gotta wait a bit longer for that :D

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Lets go Andy! Let's finish two races in a row! Seriously, I'm hoping for the best--too much talent to see it squandered and my selfish reason is I want a completely stacked Tour this year.

Horner can shag bottles and wait for him if (when) he fades. Ach!

But so far my predictions this year have been off the mark. They don't appear too concerned for the TTT title. Horner and Schleck? Nich gut!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:

I have been after Andy a lot the last 2 years, but with his current form and mental fragility I think its pretty gutsy start TA knowing he will get spanked hard by guys he would normally compare himself to. I like that move. Shows some balls. Hope he completes the race and turns things around for the better

Lo Squalo is going to come out firing on all cylinders!

"I am not afraid of them, and to start Tirreno-Adriatico for me with the number one on my back has a significance that I fully recognize."

"According to the Astana Pro Team Manager Giuseppe Martinelli, the team has worked hard to boost the rider’s chances in races against the clock."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-consecutive-Tirreno-title.aspx#ixzz2MfOtSNkD

Cimber said:
I have been after Andy a lot the last 2 years, but with his current form and mental fragility I think its pretty gutsy start TA knowing he will get spanked hard by guys he would normally compare himself to. I like that move. Shows some balls. Hope he completes the race and turns things around for the better

Considering he hasn't tried to be competitive at this point in the season in the past I would think he wouldn't and shouldn't compare himself to his rivals for the sake of his fragile state of mind. Just getting in the race miles and building his form is what's important. He obviously can't and won't do that by training on his own. I hope he completes the race too. It good for the sport to have him at his best and back to battling with his rivals at the Tour and the Ardennes(just not likely this year). Hopefully he's realistic about what lies ahead and won't become discouraged when he reaches late April and July and he's not able to be a factor. If he has a drop in motivation and morale because of impatience then he'll be in trouble.

cineteq said:
Lo Squalo is going to come out firing on all cylinders!

"I am not afraid of them, and to start Tirreno-Adriatico for me with the number one on my back has a significance that I fully recognize."

"According to the Astana Pro Team Manager Giuseppe Martinelli, the team has worked hard to boost the rider’s chances in races against the clock."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-consecutive-Tirreno-title.aspx#ixzz2MfOtSNkD

Nibali puts the screws to Wiggins about his Oman appearance:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/new/nibali-wants-leave-mark-on-tirreno-adriatico

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
jaylew said:
Horner's not a bad TTer at all. Of course this is his 1st race of the year so who knows where his form is.

He said last year that the TTT was very difficult for him. Something like two turns at the front and then he just sat on. I hope they don't expect more from him this year since last year TA was his first race back after the Tour crash. With Andy in the mix they are going to have limit their losses. If they don't loose more than 30 seconds that would be a victory for them.

It sounds like he's done the motopace work knowing it will be a week point. Hopefully, he will have less trouble. Arriving cold from just training could make it difficult to adjust, but he has enough experience and will, most likelyhe will make it ok. Horner's a pure climber anymore.

Angliru said:
Nibali puts the screws to Wiggins about his Oman appearance:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/new/nibali-wants-leave-mark-on-tirreno-adriatico

LOL! Nibs starting to talk a bit of trash about Wiggo pre Giro :)

Not about Bertie though:
“He never rides just to be a spectator,” Nibali said of Contador. “Wherever he goes, he leaves his mark. He wants to be a protagonist even if he’s racing around the house, never mind at Tirreno-Adriatico.”

The Shark is never a spectator either, it's one of the reasons I like him :)

Angliru said:
Just getting in the race miles and building his form is what's important. He obviously can't and won't do that by training on his own. I hope he completes the race too.

Andy finishing and not getting dropped to badly should be all that is expected of him.

However what are the Team aspirations here???? Stages vs. GC I guess. Because if they tow Andy in the TTT all GC chance might be gone for Horner. If they drop Andy could he be outside the time limit and they are 1 man down?

Guess they are just looking to get a stage or so by someone (not Andy) and get some form for riders?

BEmbKMACYAAk2gR.jpg

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Andy finishing and not getting dropped to badly should be all that is expected of him.

However what are the Team aspirations here???? Stages vs. GC I guess. Because if they tow Andy in the TTT all GC chance might be gone for Horner. If they drop Andy could he be outside the time limit and they are 1 man down?

Guess they are just looking to get a stage or so by someone (not Andy) and get some form for riders?

It could be dicy with the weather. Cancellara can make up for both sitting in to some degree I think. He won't be happy if he has to ease off. This is important for Milan-San Remo. I am sure he would rather have one and not both.

TRENDING THREADS