• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 13: Valls→Castelldefels (169 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2013 Vuelta a España, Stage 13: Valls→Castelldefels (169 Km)

mapa13.jpg

13_perfil.png

13uk.png

13_puerto.png

Weather: There will be alternating sun and clouds in the sky of this stage.

Winds: The wind will be light in almost all this route. It will blow from the South and Southwest in all this stage, therefore it will be from right side mainly in all this itinerary.

Temperatures: Oscillating between the hot 28ºC and the mildest 23ºC in the high stretches of the journey.

Profile of Rat Penat (can only insert 4 pics): http://www.ramacabici.com/altimetrias/ratpenat.PNG

Looks like a stage for the puncheurs, Phil's second win? Maybe Purito and valverde in there as well?

maltiv said:
What's your source? Based on the profile of the last kilometers it seems to be at least 12%? (40-50 altitude meters gained over 300-400 meters)
I have mapped the final both with bikeroutetoaster and tracks4bikers, and I have watched the final through street view.

I'd say it's 4-500 meters @ ~5%, with the last 200m the steepest. Up to 8-9% in the end.

This is the steepest place:
EnZsj.jpg

G1trA.jpg

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Quibbling about the last 500m aside I think a strong break should be able to take this.

I predict a break of at least 12, with LL Sanchez to win the stage (about time he did something as he's been invisible so far :rolleyes:) .....

All real sprinters and perhaps most of the puncheurs will be dropped on the cat 1 climb, after that, who's gonna chase the last 40km. Could be an early break, could be a break after the cat 1 climb, could be a reduced sprint. It might be that Movistar push it on the Cat 1 climb and try to set up a sprint for Valverde, he still hasn't got his stage win, which he always gets (unless he wins the whole damn thing)

Red Rick said:
All real sprinters and perhaps most of the puncheurs will be dropped on the cat 1 climb, after that, who's gonna chase the last 40km. Could be an early break, could be a break after the cat 1 climb, could be a reduced sprint. It might be that Movistar push it on the Cat 1 climb and try to set up a sprint for Valverde, he still hasn't got his stage win, which he always gets (unless he wins the whole damn thing)
Saxo to put Kreusiger in the break and see him battle for the uphill finish

actually might be quiet an interesting stage, the fact it comes were it is gives the break away a chance so loads will fight to get in it, their is a battle for sprinters to get to a doable finish which also could suit a few other riders in the field.

TRENDING THREADS