• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Cleanest Peloton Ever

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
The periods were there just to fulfill the silly character quota. My point was more like, really, you don't know targeted testing is standard procedure?

Don't they still test some random riders at every stage during GT's? Like, all jersey's, the stage winner and a bunch of random riders?

My point was that they should skip these random tests and focus all recourses on high profile targets.

sniper said:
the sales numbers of 'generation' are slightly better than those of 'era'.

Yes but Contador went pro in 2003. The people mentioned in your quotes (or the people mentioned by the people in your quotes) are much younger. How is Contador from the new generation? He currently rides on the new era (of cycling), yes, but he is not from the new generation (of riders).

Walkman said:
Don't they still test some random riders at every stage during GT's? Like, all jersey's, the stage winner and a bunch of random riders?

My point was that they should skip these random tests and focus all recourses on high profile targets.

The point is all the GC testing means nothing when the testing authority won't open cases on positives. Nevermind the fact there's a huge hole in the bio-passport for grand tours.

DirtyWorks said:
The point is all the GC testing means nothing when the testing authority won't open cases on positives.

Care to elaborate?

I am not up to date with the UCI/ASO/WADA business. The only thing I can recall along these lines is the attempted cover up of Contador's positive. Are that kind of actions frequent?

DirtyWorks said:
Nevermind the fact there's a huge hole in the bio-passport for grand tours.

Please explain, I would really like to know! :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
Yes but Contador went pro in 2003. The people mentioned in your quotes (or the people mentioned by the people in your quotes) are much younger. How is Contador from the new generation? He currently rides on the new era (of cycling), yes, but he is not from the new generation (of riders).
i agree with you of course.
and it's noteworthy that the snake oil sellers don't make the distinction.
all speak of 'new clean generation', purposely ignoring that guys like contador are part of the old school.

sniper said:
i agree with you of course.
and it's noteworthy that the snake oil sellers don't make the distinction.
all speak of 'new clean generation', purposely ignoring that guys like contador are part of the old school.

Ah, cheers. Sometimes I find it difficult to understand another poster's position. ;)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
You have to wonder why the doping green light during the Vuelta?

Outside the winner of the TdF, the TdF looked pretty natural. I guess that would have been ridiculous with Froome and Contador making it into Paris.

The 2014 Giro was clean-ish too.
could it be a logistics thing?
many teams being based in Spain.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
ah right this again.
Broken record.
broken record?
they just came back from injuries and nobody knew at what level they were going to perform at the vuelta.
to see them perform at this level now gives a good retrospective indication of how strong they would have been at the tour.

sniper said:
broken record?
they just came back from injuries and nobody knew at what level they were going to perform at the vuelta.
to see them perform at this level now gives a good retrospective indication of how strong they would have been at the tour.

Considering the injury layoffs and lack of competitive racing, it makes you wonder how far away from their peak form they actually are. Overall, I feel that their presence in the TDF would've made the sport look a lot less clean than it did without them.

thrawn said:
Froome messed up tactically today. He attacked standing up, when we all know attacking whilst seated is better.

Check the last minute before Contador eases away from Froomie. The infamous seated attack trying to ride Contador off his wheel is there. Contador rides away as Froome pays for the acceleration.

Pretty hard to see though as the camera changes too quickly.

Benotti69 said:
Quoting Vaughters who called it a new generation in 2008.

Only 2 years between Froome and Contador.

A new generatiom in 2008 would be those who entered the scene around that time, no? Certainly not Contador who was around since 5 years before. Did he say new generation referring to riders or era?

BigMac said:
A new generatiom in 2008 would be those who entered the scene around that time, no? Certainly not Contador who was around since 5 years before. Did he say new generation referring to riders or era?

I think new generation is referred as post passport era as the speeds are supposedly down and we won't see crazy stuff like in "old cycling". :eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:

Vaughters said it cos he wants to succeed in cycling and was selling a clean sport because Armstrong was gone and Vaughters was saying it was no longer cool to dope.

New generation was the catch phrase. it means nothing because doping never went away. New generation learns to dope to keep up and when the new generation looks at those who have succeeded before them they follow the same path. I cant imagine more than 1 or 2 who will say looking at Piti, " nah i dont want a Ferrari, if it means doping and winning loads".......

May 26, 2009
Visit site
burning said:
I think new generation is referred as post passport era as the speeds are supposedly down and we won't see crazy stuff like in "old cycling". :eek:

Yeah in new cycling you don't see a clean rider attack several times on a climb, in the dirty era that stuff happened all the time. Also there are more tailwinds on climbs in this new generation, but that's down to global warming, surely?

May 2, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Check the last minute before Contador eases away from Froomie. The infamous seated attack trying to ride Contador off his wheel is there. Contador rides away as Froome pays for the acceleration.

Pretty hard to see though as the camera changes too quickly.

Was referring to the attack he used to drop everyone bar Contador.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Almeisan said:
Have there been more bans for NESP? First time I hear about a ban on that substance. I wonder about why to use NESP and not just use EPO straight out.

There is another NESP positive listed on UCI's Provisional suspensions list.

Another Italian: Luca Benedetti. He is 26 years old and has already sat out a two-year suspension. Here is an interesting blog post about him: http://blog.cyclingpro.it/2014/05/24/gli-ingaggi-discutibili-di-amore-vita-luca-benedetti/

Benedetti gave an interview in 2012 where he talked about working with Matteo Cappè and training with Riccardo Riccò. Riccò and Cappè was caught by the police in April, buying "epoetina alfa e testosterone" from a hospital worker.

Is it common to test for Darbepoetin/NESP? Does the standard EPO test detect Darbepoetin/NESP?

The last positive I find on dopeology.org is from 2003: Vincenzo Di Falco

May 19, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:
There is another NESP positive listed on UCI's Provisional suspensions list.

Another Italian: Luca Benedetti. He is 26 years old and has already sat out a two-year suspension. Here is an interesting blog post about him: http://blog.cyclingpro.it/2014/05/24/gli-ingaggi-discutibili-di-amore-vita-luca-benedetti/

Benedetti gave an interview in 2012 where he talked about working with Matteo Cappè and training with Riccardo Riccò. Riccò and Cappè was caught by the police in April, buying "epoetina alfa e testosterone" from a hospital worker.

Is it common to test for Darbepoetin/NESP? Does the standard EPO test detect Darbepoetin/NESP?

The last positive I find on dopeology.org is from 2003: Vincenzo Di Falco

Correction: He was given a two-year sanction in 2010, but it was later reduced to one year.

After the ban he raced as an amateur until 20 May 2014, when he got a contract with continental team Amore & Vita - Selle SMP. He had his first race day for them at Philadelphia Cycling Classic (1.1) in USA on 1 June. He came fourth. Then he won the first stage of Tour de Beauce (2.2s) in Canada on 11 June. In the meantime he'd been tested on 6 June (out of competition?). His last race day was on 27 July. Now he is proviosionally suspended for a derbepoetin positive 6 June.

On 25 June he gave an interview (google translate):

"In 2010 I suffered a two-year ban, even though I spent only one, because of the events related to the doping involving heavily amateur team for which he competed. I want to reiterate that as an amateur I have undergone several doping controls and that they are always negative. I assume that this ban has hurt me and that somehow has delayed my landing of a pro contract, despite the 21 wins among amateurs often obtained in prestigious races. Anyway, I'm glad to have had this opportunity thanks to the family and the fact Fanini to compete for a team that has always been at the forefront in the fight against doping should give pause to those who criticized me unfairly. Luckily the team Amore & Vita I found a real family. "

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=69756

TRENDING THREADS