• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Cleanest Peloton Ever

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
No mention of Alex Dowsett today.

Why not?

Should acknowledgments only go one certain direction?

That's what I can't stand with a certain section in this place.

No problem or issue in highlighting dodgy links that riders have but things should be looked at both ways.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

Why not?

No problem or issue in highlighting dodgy links that riders have but things should be looked at both ways.

What did he do?

gooner said:

Why not?

ok, here we go

Alex Dowsett: Probably Not Clean

happy?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:

Why not?

who thinks Dowsett is clean?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
So are we suppose to be outraged or highly suspicion at anything else Dowsett did besides take the lead in Britain?

Full disclosure I haven't seen the stage yet, was it a suspicious ride or beyond what his capabilities should be or something?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
So are we suppose to be outraged or highly suspicion at anything else Dowsett did besides take the lead in Britain?

Full disclosure I haven't seen the stage yet, was it a suspicious ride or beyond what his capabilities should be or something?

surely if he did anything remotely suspicious the clinic would be all over it already, being anti-british and all.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:

I was genuinely confused as well, checking the web for news of a Dowsett positive, but it appears what gooner is actually saying is that we should now regard the peloton as cleaner because Dowsett, a rider gooner has apparently divined to be clean, did well in a race. :p

May 26, 2009
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
I was confused as well but it appears what gooner is actually saying is that we should now regard the peloton as cleaner because Dowsett, a rider gonner has divined to be clean, did well in a race.

Aside from the 2 riders(that the UCI have told us about)that have been popped in the last 40 hours. I'd have to agree with gooner......NOT

The 2014 peloton = the cleanest peloton.......EVER!!! :D:D

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
Gooner's argument is so bizarre that at first I thought he was asking why people weren't accusing Dowsett, which would show an anti-Sky and pro-Movistar bias.

I wasn't using Dowsett's performance as a means to further a cleaner cycling argument as has been done in a strawman manner by others on the back on what I said. You can't be certain on any rider with 100% faith.

This was done in an individual manner. Here is a guy who has shown a more realistic trajectory in his career path. No different to someone like Phinney who also has a past link with Lance but is considered by some on here as one of the more believable guys. Like Phinney he has addressed painkilling use, including tramadol.

His ride today wasn't Cancellara mode by any stretch of the means but nonetheless a great ride in a 3 man group where he did most of the pulling to get yellow and hold off the chase. It wasn't a monster performance or anything. Tom Stewart who I haven't heard of before this week was able to stay with him. The peloton made a strange blunder in allowing him to go in the first place and 6 man teams played a part. That has to be brought into context with it.

Point being, nothing jumps out at me in his performances and I see no reason while judging someone independently, why we can't acknowledge a performance that wins a stage from a rider that's further down the echelons of the peloton. Should it matter it's only the Tour of Britain? Should it matter he's not one of the big names? I don't think it should. If people disagree with that, are we saying only trophy names count? By all means, I want those guys busted but I don't think that should be at the expense of recognising riders levels down in the peloton. This reminds a few weeks back at Utah when Horner and Danielson were mainly being discussed. Again no problem in that, and in particular the point about Danielson and whether he was truthful in his account to USADA. Nonetheless Phil Gaimon's ride on the Mountain High stage was highlighted. A guy Betsy has spoken about on here but when he was brought up, it was similiarly scoffed at as if he was someone that wasn't important enough.

FWIW, I'm far from enamoured at what I'm seeing currently at the Vuelta and that's putting it mildly.

Of course(not referring to yourself), I knew a few were going to throw the Anglo card and it was entirely predictable and the names attached here to the comments haven't left me down in coming forward on them.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Ryongsyong said:
Because the peloton gave him and the rest of his breakaway companions nine minutes, brainiac.

I never knew breaks happened like that.

Nine minutes with 90km to go. Plenty of kms to wheel the break in. The chase was even heating up then.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I wasn't using Dowsett's performance as a means to further a cleaner cycling argument . . . You can't be certain on any rider with 100% faith.

. . .

Yup. You can't be certain anymore, and therein lies the problem. As you point out with Phinney, we have some young riders who are more believable. Atm, I believe Phinney is not saucing.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
Of course(not referring to yourself), I knew a few were going to throw the Anglo card and it was entirely predictable and the names attached here to the comments haven't left me down in coming forward on them.
that's what i call successful baiting.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:

Yet you keep coming back like a flie on cow poo?

Dont get me wrong, I like your contributions but you are - just like sniper above mentions - more and more trying to bait people.

And yes, 2014 is the cleanest peloton ever!

gooner said:

Why not?

gooner said:
I wasn't using Dowsett's performance as a means to further a cleaner cycling argument as has been done in a strawman manner by others on the back on what I said. You can't be certain on any rider with 100% faith.

This was done in an individual manner. Here is a guy who has shown a more realistic trajectory in his career path. No different to someone like Phinney who also has a past link with Lance but is considered by some on here as one of the more believable guys. Like Phinney he has addressed painkilling use, including tramadol.

His ride today wasn't Cancellara mode by any stretch of the means but nonetheless a great ride in a 3 man group where he did most of the pulling to get yellow and hold off the chase. It wasn't a monster performance or anything. Tom Stewart who I haven't heard of before this week was able to stay with him. The peloton made a strange blunder in allowing him to go in the first place and 6 man teams played a part. That has to be brought into context with it.

Point being, nothing jumps out at me in his performances and I see no reason while judging someone independently, why we can't acknowledge a performance that wins a stage from a rider that's further down the echelons of the peloton. Should it matter it's only the Tour of Britain? Should it matter he's not one of the big names? I don't think it should. If people disagree with that, are we saying only trophy names count? By all means, I want those guys busted but I don't think that should be at the expense of recognising riders levels down in the peloton. This reminds a few weeks back at Utah when Horner and Danielson were mainly being discussed. Again no problem in that, and in particular the point about Danielson and whether he was truthful in his account to USADA. Nonetheless Phil Gaimon's ride on the Mountain High stage was highlighted. A guy Betsy has spoken about on here but when he was brought up, it was similiarly scoffed at as if he was someone that wasn't important enough.

FWIW, I'm far from enamoured at what I'm seeing currently at the Vuelta and that's putting it mildly.

Ah, so what you were doing was telling everyone what they should be posting?

Why don't you just mind your own business? If people want to post about Dowsett they'll post about Dowsett. If they don't because they don't care about some smaller races while a doped GT is going on, they wont. Its THEIR choice not yours.

Why don't you just post your own opinions? Or don't post at all, no one will miss your Murdoch fetish anyway.

But you and the rest of the Cyling Taliban ( I think now all banned) are way out of order telling everyone what they should be posting. :rolleyes:

Thank you Mullah Gooner but I think everyone can make those choices perfectly well for themselves;)

TRENDING THREADS