• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Gent-Wevelgem, March 30th, (1.UWT)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
A bad race. On the other hand, I'm glad that Degenkolb won. He deserved that win after Sanremo. That race is also the last one he has to win to have won all sprinter classics (Sanremo, Wevelgem, Hamburg and Tours), like Freire did before him.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Lanark said:
A bad race. On the other hand, I'm glad that Degenkolb won. He deserved that win after Sanremo. That race is also the last one he has to win to have won all sprinter classics (Sanremo, Wevelgem, Hamburg and Tours), like Freire did before him.

You forgot the biggest of them all, the Scheldeprijs

Dazed and Confused said:
Just saw Stannard crashed, any reports on the damage?

Doesn't sound good:

After the race, Doctor Phil Riley was able to shed some light on Team Sky's casualties, but admitted it would take more time for the full extent of the riders' injuries to be known.

He said: "CJ [Sutton] has a nasty flesh wound to his left knee which has been cleaned and dressed and he’s going to fly home to Spain and have it reassessed in a few days’ time.

"Ian has had CT scans which have confirmed a back injury. He will stay in hospital on tonight and will also be reassessed tomorrow before we decide whether or not he has to go home.

"Geraint is fine. Our physiotherapist Nathan Thomas checked him over after the race and G also confirmed that to me over the phone."

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30353_9241078,00.html#0AKjI47dWoPVv0qf.99

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if someone has already written a comment about Giant-Shimano's ubiquity in sprint finishes this season, but it's very prominent. I can't remember a sprinting power house like they are in recent history.
HTC-Highroad franchise was winning piles of sprints, but mostly relying on one man, and shortly on the other.
Besides mutual sporting background and philosophy, they seem to be sharing the same business approach as well.
Hopefully Giant-Shimano will last longer and develop their team through the all aspects of cycling.

I see Degenkolb is looking forward to De Ronde... I'll be wholeheartedly behind him. The annual attention on eternal favorites has tired me a bit. Degenkolb, Kristoff, Roelandts... these are the men I'll be supporting this year.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
podunavac said:
I don't know if someone has already written a comment about Giant-Shimano's ubiquity in sprint finishes this season, but it's very prominent. I can't remember a sprinting power house like they are in recent history.
HTC-Highroad franchise was winning piles of sprints, but mostly relying on one man, and shortly on the other.
Besides mutual sporting background and philosophy, they seem to be sharing the same business approach as well.
Hopefully Giant-Shimano will last longer and develop their team through the all aspects of cycling.

I see Degenkolb is looking forward to De Ronde... I'll be wholeheartedly behind him. The annual attention on eternal favorites has tired me a bit. Degenkolb, Kristoff, Roelandts... these are the men I'll be supporting this year.

They've done an excellent job of keeping all of them busy, too. Kittel is the sprinter for the real flat days, the one to challenge Cavendish. Degenkolb gets the classics. Mezgec gets to take home victories in the weeklong stage races. Plenty of victories to go around for these guys.

Unrelated but it seems like Farrar might have been the first one to go down in the crash today. I guess that wouldn't be particularly surprising.

VeloHuman said:
They've done an excellent job of keeping all of them busy, too. Kittel is the sprinter for the real flat days, the one to challenge Cavendish. Degenkolb gets the classics. Mezgec gets to take home victories in the weeklong stage races. Plenty of victories to go around for these guys.

Unrelated but it seems like Farrar might have been the first one to go down in the crash today. I guess that wouldn't be particularly surprising.

Greipel did mention that Farrar caused the crash.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Jspear said:
Hopefully Griepel heals quickly. How long does it usually take for a collar bone to heal? I wonder if he'll be ready for the Giro.

Depends on rider but Giacomo Nizzolo was back on the bike after only 1 month when he fractured his this season. However, Greipel apparently has some torn ligaments as well, could delay his recovery a bit. July's Tour is still a few months away, but the Giro... not sure.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice with for degenkolb, good to see him grab himself one of the cobbled one days for his palmares. He's looking in good form, will be interesting to see what he can do at RVV and PR.

Hope that Stannard will be okay. Would be horrible if he had to stop cycling because of his injury. He's one of the few true cyclists and a true hardman in the peloton that just likes to suffer and make other people hurt.

Afrank said:
Nice with for degenkolb, good to see him grab himself one of the cobbled one days for his palmares. He's looking in good form, will be interesting to see what he can do at RVV and PR.

Hope that Stannard will be okay. Would be horrible if he had to stop cycling because of his injury. He's one of the few true cyclists and a true hardman in the peloton that just likes to suffer and make other people hurt.

What do you mean my "true cyclist and hard man?" I'm trying to understand that statement. I agree with you - there is obviously certain riders who are tougher than others....I guess I would just say that there a very large number of such riders....not just a few. What other riders would you classify as such?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:
What do you mean my "true cyclist and hard man?" I'm trying to understand that statement. I agree with you - there is obviously certain riders who are tougher than others....I guess I would just say that there a very large number of such riders....not just a few. What other riders would you classify as such?

I basically mean he's a rider that doesn't complain or whine, doesn't refuse to work with others, and always gives it his all in all conditions. A hardman of cycling that just goes to the front without complaint and makes everyone hurt. The reason these types of riders ride and race I think is purely for their love of cycling.

Perhaps more a better word then true cyclists, would be a true racer.

A few others: Voigt, Hansen, Hoogerland, Magni.