• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro d'Italia, stage 9: Lugo-Sestola (172 Km's)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RichieTheBest said:
if a rider is good enough, he never waits until 3rd week. i really doubt quintana will smash everyone on the campione, grappa and zoncolan. all this stuff reminds the 2011 tour pyrenees in a way
I agree.

That's what I have noticed in the past from watching many Grand Tours.

I am starting to worry.

Having said that nobody knows Quintana's game yet. He could be playing everyone. Let's wait and see.

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
roundabout said:
He is a loser period.

"I am going to work for another rider, I will be the last man for Evans, blah, blah, blah"

When will he take at least 1 turn on the front for Evans?

I think BMC are playing it smart and letting Sanchez take it fairly easy until the major mountain stages, that would be the smart play.

Morabito is good enough to play in the medium mountain stages, so use him up and then let Samu take over in the 2nd & 3rd weeks.

Either that or his form stinks...

Vino attacks everyone said:
DT is hating on my boy Aru, so I have to defend his honor :p

In general we hype Aru cause he is arguably the biggest gt talent from Italy. And who doesnt love Italy :p

+ of course, he rides for Vino

The biggest gt talent in the making or the biggest gt talent? I'd put Pozzovivo ahead of him right now....I do think though that Aru will continue to get better, but right now I think Pozzovivo is better.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thus far this feels a little like Giro 2012, Tour 2011. No one took Evans, or Hesjedal too seriously, and then all of a sudden they hadn't put enough time into them. It's great to say Quintana will smash Evans on Zoncolan, but if he waits until then he'll need to put over 2 minutes into him, which requires a good Quintana day and a bad Evans day. Almost another week until we find out.

RichieTheBest said:
if a rider is good enough, he never waits until 3rd week. i really doubt quintana will smash everyone on the campione, grappa and zoncolan. all this stuff reminds the 2011 tour pyrenees in a way

If a rider is hindered by injuries incurred in the first week, he does what he can in hopes that he is healed for the pivotal stages.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Let me help you - a Dutchman with a distinct Australian accent. Even I - an Aussie - could detect it :confused:

he'd be easier to understand if he wasnt Dutch

didnt think his accent sounded Australian. but used a lot of Australian terms like 'mate' a lot obviously from being in Orica milieu for a couple of seasons

roundabout said:
He is a loser period.

"I am going to work for another rider, I will be the last man for Evans, blah, blah, blah"

When will he take at least 1 turn on the front for Evans?

He's just confused. Evans don't look or sound like Contador ! Either it's injuries or fitness or they are saving him for later. Morabito will sleep well for the next few weeks and has done a great job so far. None of the GC teams have looked that good in the hills except AG2R and BMC. Movistar are off their game. Maybe carrying some injuries like their team leader. Uran has been going along steadily but his team have been nowhere. Maybe a lot of riders still recovering from the big crash that knocked out Katusha's chances.

movingtarget said:
He's just confused. Evans don't look or sound like Contador ! Either it's injuries or fitness or they are saving him for later. Morabito will sleep well for the next few weeks and has done a great job so far. None of the GC teams have looked that good in the hills except AG2R and BMC. Movistar are off their game. Maybe carrying some injuries like their team leader. Uran has been going along steadily but his team have been nowhere. Maybe a lot of riders still recovering from the big crash that knocked out Katusha's chances.

Actually, Uran's team, mainly Poels, have definately been there.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The leeway Pozzovivo was given says a lot about how little favourites rate him. His attack was simply meh and the favourites didn't really bother with him.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
well it should be remembered that its not just a climber's race
there are still two time trials and a number of lower hilly stages

thats why Pozzovivo isnt rated as highly. he may end up king of the mountain with his power to weight ratio up steep climbs, however the midget is not the complete grand tour rider

hmm hate rest days when the race is getting interesting
might watch those recorded Tour of Cali stages... no spoilers!

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Actually, Uran's team, mainly Poels, have definately been there.
Also Brambilla is doing just fine. Pauwels and Serry OK as well.
[De Gendt has been MIA but the Stelvio will be a sweet reminder for him I hope.]

Saxo is strong enough in the mountains with Sorensen, Rogers, Majka and Roche. Powalnski and Rovny have been good as well.

My guess is that these teams are just keeping their energy for later in the race, letting BMC burning their matches for now in stages that won't win the race.

Lupi33 said:
the midget is not the complete grand tour rider

I thought that too. But then as has been pointed out Possovivo's strong result at last years Vuelta ITT - ahead of Horner and Nibali. That suggests to me he is a little more than a 1 trick pony (going up steep climbs). Also the latter km of yesterdays climb was shallow gradients - 3 or 4% yet he still made time. Then you must remember he is young. In theory Posso could be stronger now than when he did the Vuelta. I am impressed by him.