• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Paris - Nice, stage 5: Crèche-sur-Saône - Rive-de-Gier 152.5km

2014 Paris - Nice, stage 5: Crèche-sur-Saône - Rive-de-Gier 152.5km

So far this race has been amazing. Could not ask for better racing.

Paris-Nice-Stage-5-1393229310.png

Paris-Nice-Stage-5-1393229317.jpg

Paris-Nice-Stage-5-1393229323.jpg

Côte de Saint Martin en Haut
Côte de Sainte-Catherine

Will the sprinters survive?

Amazing race? Not quite, but stage 4 was pretty good.

This stage can also work, but a team must step up on Côte de Saint Martin en Haut. So lets see.... Tinkoff appeared to tank on stage 4 with very little to play for now unless they get back in business.

Note the 2nd best placed Sky rider is +10 minutes down (quick scan, could be wrong). Team weak here or just tactics?

Dazed and Confused said:
Amazing race? Not quite, but stage 4 was pretty good.

This stage can also work, but a team must step up on Côte de Saint Martin en Haut. So lets see.... Tinkoff appeared to tank on stage 4 with very little to play for now unless they get back in business.

Note the 2nd best placed Sky rider is +10 minutes down (quick scan, could be wrong). Team weak here or just tactics?

It was mainly a joke at all the hate on this race and its route. But overall I still think it is quite good.

Definetely, if something is to be made, they better do it on the climb to Saint Martin. And for Sky, I'd say it is tactics. They had GT well placed and protected before he attacked. They are all in with him.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Another day and back to crappy route design, hopefully the riders make something out of it. Can't see Degenkolb getting dropped here, so the obvious choice to take the stage and yellow back. But I just hope some teams go ballistic and tear the peloton to pieces.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Who's favourite for this stage?
Degenkolb, Nibali, Slagter or Thomas?

Sky need to let the sprint teams do the hard work at the start then finish them off on the Cote de Sainte-Catherine!

Parrulo said:
God this route is terrible. . . . if any further proof was need, all we need to do is check the amount of posts the race threads have been getting.
Until Costa wins... then it's the best race ever ;)

podunavac said:
Promising profile.
I don't believe any sprinter will be in the front group at the finish line. Something like in Belleville more likely.
Matthews, Degenkolb, maybe Hofland can survive this.

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Degenkolb for me today.
I'm not loving the PN route either but it is different I guess. With everyone complaining that Milan-San Remo is becoming the same as the other monuments, it's nice to have something a bit different in a fairly major stage race.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
NUFCrichard said:
Degenkolb for me today.
I'm not loving the PN route either but it is different I guess. With everyone complaining that Milan-San Remo is becoming the same as the other monuments, it's nice to have something a bit different in a fairly major stage race.
it's not different ata ll. we already have a ton of stage races with no mountains in them

Degenkolb for me also, the routes can never be prefect, most unreasonable fans want the typical mtf that cracks everyone and lots of hill finishes, but it just doesnt work like that, these stages have been decent and gc is going down to wire.

I think as long as a race isn't solely decided by a time trial ride its a good one.

TRENDING THREADS