• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Paris - Nice, stage 5: Crèche-sur-Saône - Rive-de-Gier 152.5km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
Degenkolb for me also, the routes can never be prefect, most unreasonable fans want the typical mtf that cracks everyone and lots of hill finishes, but it just doesnt work like that, these stages have been decent and gc is going down to wire.

I think as long as a race isn't solely decided by a time trial ride its a good one.

they could'vew made almost every stage like yesterday then it would be good. but the first 3 days were boring with no hope for wind either

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
So the penultimate climb has to be raced hard now. Bad news for the sprinters. Good news for the race.

Interesting little problem for Sky too. They will probably end up doing most of the work but the guy who would usually spend a massive amount of time on the front is leading the race :D

Regarding Rui Costa's unspectacular performance yesterday, I would like to point out a few things:
1) His best result in a WT stage race before Romandie is 13th place in Basque Country last season. Also his best result in the Ardennes is 9th in Liege (leadership, suspension,...I know).
2) This season his goals remain more or less the same as in the previous years (Ardennes, Tour) so I would expect his shape to follow a similar pattern.
3) Is a top10 a good result? Not really, I don't think so. It would be his best ever though. A top5 or even podium is in order considering the level when we look at Tirreno.
4) He's the World Champion now but what does that change? Normal non-alien riders don't change overnight and start to dominate the calendar from February to July just because they won a one day race.
So my expectation for Rui is a solid season with lots of good placings and podiums in 1 week stage races, semi and proper classics. Maybe less wins than last season because everyone will be looking even more at him now. But I certainly don't expect any major evolution in his steady and slow rise.

As a passionate fan, GO RUI crush those guys, you're the best!!

manafana said:
Trevim have to agree, rui costa won worlds doign what we knew he could do, what has changed since last year that makes him so much more favoured to win week races is beyond me
Exactly, he's a strong contender of course but it's not like he's a favourite or a benchmark for anything, specially this early in the season.

trevim said:
Regarding Rui Costa's unspectacular performance yesterday, I would like to point out a few things:
1) His best result in a WT stage race before Romandie is 13th place in Basque Country last season. Also his best result in the Ardennes is 9th in Liege (leadership, suspension,...I know).
2) This season his goals remain more or less the same as in the previous years (Ardennes, Tour) so I would expect his shape to follow a similar pattern.
3) Is a top10 a good result? Not really, I don't think so. It would be his best ever though. A top5 or even podium is in order considering the level when we look at Tirreno.
4) He's the World Champion now but what does that change? Normal non-alien riders don't change overnight and start to dominate the calendar from February to July just because they won a one day race.
So my expectation for Rui is a solid season with lots of good placings and podiums in 1 week stage races, semi and proper classics. Maybe less wins than last season because everyone will be looking even more at him now. But I certainly don't expect any major evolution in his steady and slow rise.

As a passionate fan, GO RUI crush those guys, you're the best!!

All very pretty but you are ignoring his crash at PN last year which conditioned his first part of the season. He was the leader of Movistar for PN last year ahead of Quintana (who ended up finishing 4th).

Parrulo said:
All very pretty but you are ignoring his crash at PN last year which conditioned his first part of the season. He was the leader of Movistar for PN last year ahead of Quintana (who ended up finishing 4th).
I know that but my point is that he's not a very prolific rider in races like Basque Country, Catalunya, Nice, Tirreno, Down Under. So it shouldn't be a big surprise that he doesn't win.