• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Paris-Roubaix, 257 Km's, Sunday April 13th (1.UWT)

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
EBH is still a big name, but Sky now has about 4 or 5 classics riders who are stronger than him. Even someone who isn't a classics rider but a GT contender is now stronger :p

While I agree with you that he probably wasn't the strongest man in the race, don't forget that he brought back Boonen, waited a few moments and then attacked to ride 7 k solo to the finish. He must have been at least one of the strongest to pull that off.

Thomas was surely the strongest today. It's irrelevant anyway, however Sky had ridden, he has no way of finishing a race off.

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there absolutely no one at Team Sky that sees that EBH doesn't have the slightest clue how to race on cobbles and Flemish Classics in general. He was 17-23-22-21st in E3-GW-RvV and P-R. Basically he's the Francis De Greef of Flemish classics

Roderick said:
Is there absolutely no one at Team Sky that sees that EBH doesn't have the slightest clue how to race on cobbles and Flemish Classics in general. He was 17-23-22-21st in E3-GW-RvV and P-R. Basically he's the Francis De Greef of Flemish classics
So true.

Did you notice today how he was gapped by 10-15 meters in ONE corner on the cobbles?

The guy is basically useless at riding on cobblestones, it's painful to watch. He even gained muscle weight specifically to improve in P-R. Can't believe he's wasting his entire career like this.

alspacka said:
Terpstra? Not even remotely.
Terpstra has a chance in Amstel Gold, don't forget he got close 2 years ago and the course is easier now. It just depends on how he recovers, and on Kwiatkowski.

maltiv said:
So true.

Did you notice today how he was gapped by 10-15 meters in ONE corner on the cobbles?

The guy is basically useless at riding on cobblestones, it's painful to watch. He even gained muscle weight specifically to improve in P-R. Can't believe he's wasting his entire career like this.
That's not all of it. Boom couldn't corner properly because of his elbow, basically he had the same problem of getting gapped constantly. But if it weren't for his crash, I'm sure he'd have been in front. EBH just doesn't seem to handle hard races very well.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Boasson Hagen is always way overhyped in De Ronde and Roubaix. Nobody can seriously believe he is a leader anymore.

He should give up on Roubaix I think.

But to my mind his performances in De Ronde have been considerably better than at Roubaix. He's usually thereabouts on the climbs, which I think is a better guide than where you are at the finish lines for minor places.

Dazed and Confused said:
Some good racing along the way.
Boonen, Sagan, Thomas, Sep and Hushovd tried hard, but there are too many passengers with zero ambitions.
Glad Terpstra managed to get away in the final few kms, otherwise it would have been a real downer.

And it wasn't because of lack of pace, this was the fastest PR ever.

Pace has a lot to do with how fast they go over the first 150k. It really doesn't tire people that much out if they do that distance say 20 minutes faster because they are concentrating rather than relaxing a bit.

Also the fact that there were big groups for all the time helped keep the pace high on the flat. The ones where everyone gets dropped by the favourites 50k out, those guys then take it easier, then there's small groups chasing eachother rather than the big ones we had today.

Still amazing that they did fastest out of the 108 editions, today, but total speed never tells that much.

Matdum94 said:
Team Sky is really running out of Sprinting and Classics talent imo

I dunno. I like Thomas for a win, or at least a few podiums. His ride today impressed me.

jaylew said:
I think it has more to do with the fact that he had probably done more work than anyone else in the front group over the course of the race.

Yeah, Boonen was cooked, but I don't think he even left the saddle in the velodrome. Had that been the first group, it might have been different, but who knows. I suspect he was too juiced to bother about second. Combination of both.

jaylew said:
I think it has more to do with the fact that he had probably done more work than anyone else in the front group over the course of the race.
I'm sure he would at least have podiumed if the sprint was for the win, with a chance of the top step.

He has just never bothered with minor placings here. It's not like he gave it his all for the 2nd place in 2006 (In my mind he got 5th there), 2007 and 2010.