• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France July 19, Stage 14: Grenoble - Risoul 177km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Astana is actually going quite slowly. Break is getting close to 5 minutes.

But it's gonna be an awesome stage. Bardet has promised to attack on the penultimate climb. Pinot is going to attack as well.

whittashau said:
I don't understand this logic. Can you come up with a logical argument for why Nibali shouldn't go for more wins?

1 stage win at the Tour means the world to most riders. Really, is there such a big difference between 3 or 4 stage wins? Why not give other riders a chance? He's just being greedy, and I don't like that.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
1 stage win at the Tour means the world to most riders. Really, is there such a big difference between 3 or 4 stage wins? Why not give other riders a chance? He's just being greedy, and I don't like that.
He's in a race and he's trying to win that race. If you want to beat him you only have to cycle quicker.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

That isn't the attitude a winner has in sports. And it's probably not about winning the stage. It's probably about feeling good and therefore wanting his team to keep a good pace in order to take advantage of that in comparison to his rivals. If a stage win comes then he'll deserve it.

whittashau said:
That isn't the attitude a winner has in sports. And it's probably not about winning the stage. It's probably about feeling good and therefore wanting his team to keep a good pace in order to take advantage of that in comparison to his rivals. If a stage win comes then he'll deserve it.

People like Contador, Froome, aren't winners? :confused: I say, let others get their moment to shine. I'm not saying he should gift the stage win like Contador to Tiralongo, but no need to keep the break within 5 minutes.

LaFlorecita said:

There is not a way for me to explain how confused I am without you disregarding my opinion. Put simply, racers are motivated by success. They are trained for winning. Paid for beig at the top of the podium. Calling him greedy is misuse of the word and shows a total disrespect for the essence of sport.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

He can win as much as he wants, if other riders don't like it they should ride harder :p

More Strides than Rides said:
There is not a way for me to explain how confused I am without you disregarding my opinion. Put simply, racers are motivated by success. They are trained for winning. Paid for beig at the top of the podium. Calling him greedy is misuse of the word and shows a total disrespect for the essence of sport.

Fortunately I know there are even some Nibali fans who agree with me, so I'm not alone. Sheesh, might as well give Nibali 6 stage wins already and be done with it. I just hate riders who feel the need to stamp their dominance on a particular race. Sure, dominate, who cares. But why put so much effort in another stage win, when that same stage win could make another rider's career? Riders are driven by success, but what the hell is the difference between 5 or 6 stages?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
People like Contador, Froome, aren't winners? :confused: I say, let others get their moment to shine. I'm not saying he should gift the stage win like Contador to Tiralongo, but no need to keep the break within 5 minutes.

No, they're equally as ruthless when they want to be I'm sure. If it suited Contador or Froome to keep breaks from getting away to big leads every stage then that's what they'd do. If you think otherwise you're quite simply wrong

Not chasing breakaways is down to tactics. Not about being greedy or otherwise.

whittashau said:
No, they're equally as ruthless when they want to be I'm sure. If it suited Contador or Froome to keep breaks from getting away to big leads every stage then that's what they'd do. If you think otherwise you're quite simply wrong

Not chasing breakaways is down to tactics. Not about being greedy or otherwise.

They can easily let the break get 10 minutes, on the last 2 climbs they could get 5 minutes off the gap. Contador and Froome gave other riders a time to shine, and I respect that. But I guess Nibali has to stamp his dominance on the race, to stop people from speculating about what could have been.