• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France July 19, Stage 14: Grenoble - Risoul 177km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Froome and Talansky climbed the stage to Risoul in the Dauphine last year in around 33 minutes and Today Nibali took around 36 minutes to climb

Not very fast:rolleyes:

This race is embarrassing. Nibali cannot believe how bad the other riders are. The only think we can hope for is for the battle for white.

Worst Tour ever, so far!!!!

BTW, this is the first time that I complain about the quality of the Tour. Did not complain in 2012 or 2008.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
kingjr said:
I think most of us wanted to see a battle between the 2 best GC-riders. If you're not a Nibali, or Tinkoff, or Majka-Fan this today was nothing special.

I don't get it, I've been watching since Delgado and have had my let downs and breakdowns during the years...but sometimes, to me, it seems that the bananas/full genius/all clinic racing for the top 2 is all that people want. Just that and nothing else.

I can say that I've been there and still is ..but for once there is a major fight among quite a number of riders to achieve a top 3-5 that they never experienced before (some has, Think I have to Point that out otherwise some really smart guy has to) and neither has their team. Also there is a generational gap between the riders So their lack of experience and short comings of tactics is a factor.

Not wanting to single you out like this but needed to quote someone..sorry for that.

For me, I love to see the french, TVG, Rafal etc drop and gain time on Valverde, JBV, in other GTs Cadel, Ryder, Italians etc...that's Entertainment.

Have to admit though, that a Conta/Rasmussen ***-bananas would have been great with Conta/Froome this year.. but I'm enjoying the shift in motion right now.

Also kind of nice to see that the Astana boys are dropping out after working hard and not having a train with 5 km to go.. Fugl, Scarp, Tanel is not bad riders and for some reason its nice to see that hard work COSTs... even if that might mot be the complete truth.

Dazed and Confused said:
ag2r didn't commit resources up that penu climb. They should have taken over from NetApp. Drilled it hard for further selection and removal of support riders before the top.
Better chance on the descent. But they didn't want to take the risk.

As they should have, AG2R didn't commit to chasing until Riblon got dropped from the break.

I'm disappointed that Snow couldn't finish it off after Geraint had worked like a trooper. But it was nice to see Majka finally go solo in a big race, even if it was almost by default, he finished off strongly.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Observation is not your strong point is it?

Nibali was measured at 1.3km less than Froome.

neither is it urs.
talansky was with froome tht time.

check the quintana climb time, which was 200m more.

jyrgen said:
I don't get it, I've been watching since Delgado and have had my let downs and breakdowns during the years...but sometimes, to me, it seems that the bananas/full genius/all clinic racing for the top 2 is all that people want. Just that and nothing else.

I can say that I've been there and still is ..but for once there is a major fight among quite a number of riders to achieve a top 3-5 that they never experienced before (some has, Think I have to Point that out otherwise some really smart guy has to) and neither has their team. Also there is a generational gap between the riders So their lack of experience and short comings of tactics is a factor.

Not wanting to single you out like this but needed to quote someone..sorry for that.

For me, I love to see the french, TVG, Rafal etc drop and gain time on Valverde, JBV, in other GTs Cadel, Ryder, Italians etc...that's Entertainment.

Have to admit though, that a Conta/Rasmussen ***-bananas would have been great with Conta/Froome this year.. but I'm enjoying the shift in motion right now.

Also kind of nice to see that the Astana boys are dropping out after working hard and not having a train with 5 km to go.. Fugl, Scarp, Tanel is not bad riders and for some reason its nice to see that hard work COSTs... even if that might mot be the complete truth.

This, this and this. It seems like around here it is the sign of beeing the ultimate cycling connoisseur to declare a a race, a GT, whatever, for boring. Its a race to be the first who makes the declaration..

Lots of interesting stuff going on in this tour.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
thehog said:
Stop wasting my time with inane comments.

If you don't understand why I posted that you should probably read indianfanboy's post again and the reply by roundabout.

(hint; the fact that Nibali's time was taken over 1,3km less doesn't chage the fact at all that the times on Jens' blog to which roundabout linked and the ones provided by indianfanboy are quite different)

Escarabajo said:
This race is embarrassing. Nibali cannot believe how bad the other riders are. The only think we can hope for is for the battle for white.

Worst Tour ever, so far!!!!

BTW, this is the first time that I complain about the quality of the Tour. Did not complain in 2012 or 2008.

I dont agree. Allthough the loss of froome and contador is very painful and with them this tdf probably wouldve been epic epic epic. The fight for yellow isnt very interesting, but the racing so far is good. Imo.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
No excuses for Mollema. He says it isn't because he was ill. He says he feels topfit since a week already. Legs just don't respond.
Vandenbroeck also says he has no clue why, he feels good, until they accelerate, then he feels horrible.

Laurens Ten Dam actually looking better than Mollema right now. I wonder if he'll finish ahead of him on GC.

about climb times,when distances are different, check the speed. and the gradients.

i think papy peraud will get on the podium in paris and not bardet or pinot. pinot will lose a lot on bales descent.ag2r will go hard there
valverde i think was cooked today,gear problems or not, i mean c'mon you can go in the big ring for the last 3 kms anyway :p

uber boring stage if not for vincenzo. grande!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
Personally, I'm really enjoying this tour. Sure, Nibali is in a class of his own, but the battle for podium and the white jersey is fantastic. A good break today too. I think I've enjoyed this more than last year.

for sure this year edition is much more watchable than previous two years.:)

VeloHuman said:
Laurens Ten Dam actually looking better than Mollema right now. I wonder if he'll finish ahead of him on GC.

Ten Dam might end up in 8th. König and him will both end up ahead of Mollema. Only if Mollema by some miracle finds better legs. But I doubt it. So far he is only going worse each time. Like Costa and Vandenbroeck. Next time he might lose 10 minutes

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Contador would have destroyed Peraud today. The fact he could not get Majka proved it. Nibali is well insecure saying he as beat Froome often, eh no Nibbles try 1 stage in the whole race were you snatched GC that is only time you have beaten Froome. Like the people saying 3 sec gap was nothing on that 1.8km climb?. As if on HC mountain that means it will be 3 seconds, the gap will be even bigger, it is commom sense.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Contador would have destroyed Peraud today. The fact he could not get Majka proved it. Nibali is well insecure saying he as beat Froome often, eh no Nibbles try 1 stage in the whole race were you snatched GC that is only time you have beaten Froome. Like the people saying 3 sec gap was nothing on that 1.8km climb?. As if on HC mountain that means it will be 3 seconds, the gap will be even bigger, it is commom sense.

would, could, blah, blah, it is all gas in the air. What's the point to say those things you have no way to prove. The fact is the truth, grow up and deal with it.

TRENDING THREADS