• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour De France stage 1: Leeds › Harrogate (190.5km)

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
orangerider said:
Slow motion HD shot of the fall shows Gerrans landed very well so shouldn't have any disabling injury.

Nothing preventing him from starting tomorrow, but maybe enough bruising and general aching not be on top form for tomorrow unfortunately.

Found this on Not Always Related:

(We’re in the living room watching the Tour de France.)

Commentator: “He’s taken that corner a bit wide… Ah, he’s got a puncture… It’s a front wheel or a back wheel.”

Dad & Me: *in unison* “As opposed to the left wheel or the right wheel…”

Is it bad that I figured who it was about pretty quickly? Naah, didn't think so either.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
The collar bone is not articulated, so it cannot be dislocated or separated other than by breakage.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Official medical report says Cavendish separated his "acromio-claviculaire" (it's in French.) That's this thing: <a href="http://t.co/dxNsDQWdka">pic.twitter.com/dxNsDQWdka</a></p>&mdash; Caley Fretz (@CaleyFretz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CaleyFretz/statuses/485486866209439744">July 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boardslide said:
@friebos: Cav off for an MRI scan. No break but in a lot of pain. Says crash was his fault & will call Gerrans to apologise.

"oh hi Gerro, sorry I almost totally f***ed your entire tdf and could have caused you serious injury. No hard feelings eh mate?"

Hopefully Gerro rips Cav a new one.

Krebs cycle said:
"oh hi Gerro, sorry I almost totally f***ed your entire tdf and could have caused you serious injury. No hard feelings eh mate?"

Hopefully Gerro rips Cav a new one.

Yes I'm sure that's exactly what Cav will say! :rolleyes:

If Cav didn't apologise he would be rightly criticised, at least he has the decency to admit it was a big mistake on his part. He has admitted he was in the wrong so move on.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:

If Cav didn't apologise he would be rightly criticised, at least he has the decency to admit it was a big mistake on his part. He has admitted he was in the wrong so move on.

Indeed. I believe Cav is still waiting for an apology from Veelers for last year, not just for trying to force him off the road but for blaming Cav for it afterwards. Clearly Cav is a better man than some.

Great day out on buttertubs (I refuse to call it the Cote de Buttertubs)

Cheering of Sky car and comedy booing of Tinkoff car:D

Watching from the roadside I never got a feel of the race splitting like it did, missed the final action due ride back with a puncture:(

rubbing is racing

I like Cav; I think he's a tenacious competitor and undoubtedly on the back foot with the changing of the guard for the fast men. He got frustrated and lashed out today. Looking at the replay, I believe Cav was going down irrespective of whether Gerrans went down or not. Cav seemed so off balance from 'defending' his line, or whatever you want to call it, that he wasn't going to stay upright. I think stunts like this should attract a fine for dangerous bike handling. The fine is largely irrelevant, but the stigma of being the loose cannon in the pack should focus minds. One thing those Shimano cameras have shown is that it's a ferocious old world the sprinters inhabit!

Bernie's eyesore said:
Indeed. I believe Cav is still waiting for an apology from Veelers for last year, not just for trying to force him off the road but for blaming Cav for it afterwards. Clearly Cav is a better man than some.

Exactly, maybe it's the fact he always congratulate his teammates first after a Stage win, or happy to stop and talk/sign autograph for his fans for longer than most, or perhaps the thousands of pounds he gives to charity each year as well as the large amount of hours sacrificed to good causes. if Cav is a 'vile, horrible man' to some then i dont know what decent bloke is!

Pricey_sky said:
Exactly, maybe it's the fact he always congratulate his teammates first after a Stage win, or happy to stop and talk/sign autograph for his fans for longer than most, or perhaps the thousands of pounds he gives to charity each year as well as the large amount of hours sacrificed to good causes. if Cav is a 'vile, horrible man' to some then i dont know what decent bloke is!

When things are going well, Cavendish is a good guy. And often, away from racing, he's a really great guy (just ask Jonny Bellis).

But when the race head is on, and after things haven't gone to plan, the blinkers come on and he behaves like a ***.

Today he actually accepted the blame for an accident. This is a big surprise as historically his reaction to not winning has been to find someone to apportion blame to.

Libertine Seguros said:
When things are going well, Cavendish is a good guy. And often, away from racing, he's a really great guy (just ask Jonny Bellis).

But when the race head is on, and after things haven't gone to plan, the blinkers come on and he behaves like a ***.

Today he actually accepted the blame for an accident. This is a big surprise as historically his reaction to not winning has been to find someone to apportion blame to.

I think since the birth of his daughter he has mellowed out a lot, even on the road. I suppose that does happen with some people when suddenly they have a little life to look after and appreciate. Glad he apologised and I really hope he can start tomorrow, there are still stages for him to win.

Pricey_sky said:

I think you missed the point. It doesn't matter if Cav is the best bloke in the world. Dangerous stunts like this one should not be tolerated in professional cycling and this isn't the first time he has veered off his line when he is about to get rolled, so an apology after the fact hardly seems sincere. The best apology Cav can make is to not be dirty and dangerous in the first place and accept defeat before doing something that brings down half the peloton.

I reckon Matt White will be absolutely fuming right now no matter how many flowers Cav sends to Gerrans.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Good picture for clarification of what actually did happened.

Anyway, now let's hope both Cavendish and Gerrans and all the other riders are ok and can continue racing without and hindrance! :)

Great photo that asks the question:
Why should Cavendish be allowed to continue in the Tour when other riders have been kicked out for less?

Krebs cycle said:
I think you missed the point. It doesn't matter if Cav is the best bloke in the world. Dangerous stunts like this one should not be tolerated in professional cycling and this isn't the first time he has veered off his line when he is about to get rolled, so an apology after the fact hardly seems sincere. The best apology Cav can make is to not be dirty and dangerous in the first place and accept defeat before doing something that brings down half the peloton.

I reckon Matt White will be absolutely fuming right now no matter how many flowers Cav sends to Gerrans.

This. It makes me wonder how smart he is?

At the same time how smart are many fans? I mean all one had to do was see the end of the race to realize it was his fault. Yet how many previously in thiis thread came to the conslusion that it was either not his fault, or indeed somebody else's?

Its time to take a long hard look folks.