• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 7: Epernay–Nancy (234.5 Km)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2014 Tour de France, Stage 7: Epernay–Nancy (234.5 Km)

11so9l3.jpg

2zj9po2.jpg

rghysens said:
Another hint at WWI with a passage through Verdun. This is the longest but one stage of the Tour and for the first 214.5km there isn’t much to say about it. The last 20km however, there are two 4th category hills. The first of them, the Cote de Marrons was also used in the run-in to Nancy in the 6th stage in 2005, but it failed to create any decisive gaps then, although 60 riders were shelled from the peloton. I don’t think it will create much gaps now, either. The next climb is a very nice find by ASO, you have to give it to them. They are really trying to spice flat stages up, the last couple of years. Cresting only 5km from the finish, and being 1.3km @ 7.9%, it will be a stage decider.

Predictions:
I think at least some sprinters won’t survive the final climb, and those who do, will have to cope with their derailed trains. Furthermore there will already be some sizeable gaps in the classification after the cobbled stage and the stage to Sheffield. Therefore I think most sprinters won’t be eager to let their teammates work (certainly not those who already have had some success), even more so because it is such a long stage. So, this is one for the break.

Sprinters to go for it? Or let a break go? Astana to get ride of yellow?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Well his current finishing positions this Tour have been: 2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th.

While many would be happy with that im sure Sagan does not want the green jersey just for being a consistent loser.

btw, who do you think is going to win this Tour?

maxmartin said:
btw, who do you think is going to win this Tour?

Well I've backed Contador at the start so I hope he does it now Froome is out, however Nibali is impressing me and will be tough to beat in this form unless he has done too much too soon. I hope the young guys like Talansky and Pinot can show good form in the mountains and add another level of interest too.

Jspear said:
Sagan for the win.
Sagan could win this in a sprint but i doubt he will be able to take time on anybody.. his team will have to work very hard to keep him in contention, and being 40 seconds behind, he is a GC man at the moment and no team with GC hopes is going to let him gain time, not even Astana who is dreaming of loosing the responsibility of defending the jersey. Allowing him to gain time on Nibali would be allowing anybody else willing to sit on his wheel all the way to the finish line

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Well I've backed Contador at the start so I hope he does it now Froome is out, however Nibali is impressing me and will be tough to beat in this form unless he has done too much too soon. I hope the young guys like Talansky and Pinot can show good form in the mountains and add another level of interest too.

again you are at my opposite side, even without Froom.:p The routes should suit Pinot but I have serious doubts about Talansky.

maxmartin said:
again you are at my opposite side, even without Froom.:p The routes should suit Pinot but I have serious doubts about Talansky.

Nibali has certainly given himself a really incredible chance after his performance on the cobbles. I suppose only time will tell if he can not lose too much time in the mountains to Contador, if he can repeat his heroics of Wednesday he could even gain time!

Dedelou said:
Sagan could win this in a sprint but i doubt he will be able to take time on anybody.. his team will have to work very hard to keep him in contention, and being 40 seconds behind, he is a GC man at the moment and no team with GC hopes is going to let him gain time, not even Astana who is dreaming of loosing the responsibility of defending the jersey. Allowing him to gain time on Nibali would be allowing anybody else willing to sit on his wheel all the way to the finish line

Sagan is not a GC threat. He is only high up in the classification right now because it is in the early stages of the Tour. None of the GC teams would care if he took the yellow jersey right now. But none of that really matters. He can win the stage in a sprint. :)