• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 9: Gerardmer – Mulhouse: 170km

2014 Tour de France, Stage 9: Gerardmer – Mulhouse: 170km

rghysens said:
Stage 9: Gerardmer – Mulhouse: 170km, medium mountains
Overview:
Almost immediately after the start the roads start to climb, and for 145km the road will go up or down, while it twists and turns through the Vosges.

2v84k28.jpg

2nbc1fa.jpg

Only the last 20km it will ease up again, but by then the peloton has covered 6 climbs of a varying difficulty, good for a total elevation gain of more than 3200m, comparable to LBL. Most climbs aren’t very steep, so this stage is rather suited to the powerhouses than to the pocketclimbers. In a similar stage in the 2005 Tour (maybe not coincidently also Gerardmer – Mulhouse) the peloton was completely fractured after just 30km and 3 3rd category climbs because the pace was so high because everyone who could wanted to form a break.
A big spoiler for fireworks is the flat final of 20km after the descent, but if any favorite is caught out napping in the first half, this stage will be hell for the non-climbers and even those final kilometers will be raced hard.
The last climb of the day, the 1st category ascent to Le Markstein is hard enough to shatter any breakaway and if the time differences aren’t too big, maybe even some guys from the peloton can bridge it to the front group.

2yl60ba.gif

Predictions:
The previous stage had a difficult final with a steep hilltop finish, next stage will have a steep mountaintop finish, so I think the favorites will take it easy. If the weather is bad, and he already lost some time, someone like Nibali could try it in the final descent, but that would be no more than a desperate try. The stage will be dominated by a breakaway. Many riders will know that they have a chance to contest the stage win, if they are part of said breakaway, so getting in the break will be the hardest part of the day. It may be a day early for the French, but I’m guessing Thomas Voeckler won’t be far from it.

Another Markstein profile

https://sites.google.com/site/velovosgescols/markstein/Col.376.jpeg

Wonder what the weather will be?

After today and with the best Vosges stage in years on Monday I expect an "easy" day for main GC favorites. Let's hope it will be a nice stage battle and some 2nd string contenders try to move up.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Nibali to attack on the descent and solo in for the win taking 5 minutes in the process!!!

:p

Nah, GC's to come in together, leftovers from the break for the win. Could be a good stage for some GC action if it wasn't for that 20 Km's of flat after the descent. Think that will neutralize GC action for the most part.

Anyone know how technical the descent is. A technical descent with some rain could create some nervousness in the bunch.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Could anyone please post the profiles of all the climbs?

I think this stage has break written all over it. expecting a sizable attack in the first climb.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Not really many good candidates For Astana to give yellow away to tomorrow. Gallopin would be the most obvious, otherwise maybe Konig? Zubeldia? I would love to see Machado in the break and getting it.

murali said:
Could anyone please post the profiles of all the climbs?

I think this stage has break written all over it. expecting a sizable attack in the first climb.

Schlucht

http://www.cyclingcols.com/profiles/SchluchtW.gif

Wettstein (between Orbey and Wettstein on the profile)

http://www.cyclingcols.com/asp/colframe.asp?cl=1543

Cinq Chateaux (until approximately km 6 on the profile)

https://sites.google.com/site/velovosgescols/hohlandsburg/Col.317.jpeg

Gueberschwihr (km 1.5 - km 5.5 on the profile)

https://sites.google.com/site/velovosgescols/firstplan/Col.1003.Col_du_Firstplan_versant_Ouest.jpeg

Markstein (from Lautenbach)

https://sites.google.com/site/velovosgescols/markstein/Col.376.jpeg

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Contenders other than Contador have to start making up for lost time, if they want to win. Talansky and TJVG need to put the pressure on early. Valverde needs to put the pressure on early. Mollema, JVdB, even perhaps Kwiatkowski should try something rather than just save it for Monday.

Contador and Porte might not necessarily have to do something Sunday, but the others do if they are racing for the win.

That long flat might spoil any of those plans, though. What could be tried is to try to blow out the Astana helpers tomorrow so Monday's fireworks are more effective.

Think Nibali defends easily tomorrow unless someone like Garmin drills it from the start.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Today, I saw the strongest Contador in this Tour so far.
I believe he was unsure of Nibalis capabilities and therefore played it save and went for the sprint.

Still, the little gap sets it up perfectly. A lot of pretenders have blown, but that might create some mighty breaks for the tough stages.

indianfanboy said:
I know its a long shot but does anyone think Sagan and his team can make it over those climbs and control the breakaway?

Maybe but unlike stage 7, I think this stage will have serious break action and the botd will be very strong. Cannondale could end up burning lots of riders chasing and end with nothing.

They can try, stage 10 will be a "rest" day for them anyway.

edit: as Armstrong says. Joining the break might be better.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I think Astana will be forced to do too much work tomorrow setting the pace and will f*ck themselves for Monday....if I was TCS I would relax and rest after Saturday's stage and only get into action if sh*t hits the fan... Ditto another poster, cmon Tommy V give us something!