• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 9: Gerardmer – Mulhouse: 170km

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
No, he was getting away from Talansky.
Well done, made me laugh! :p

[tongue_in_cheek]
So who next for Andy? Konig was a really clever choice to take out, he was clearly a danger man for a 6-10 spot. One of the Frenchies ahead could prove stubborn to break down. A little bump and 1-2mins lost for Bardet or Pinot might indeed be in order. Or perhaps go big? The more outrageous the less suspicious! #Talaminator #SweepTheLeg
[/tongue_in_cheek]

Hugo Koblet said:
I agree with this. However, I definitely don't agree that Europcar/Rolland's tactics were good today. Rolland gained 4 minutes or so in the GC - what for? Now his chances of getting away tomorrow - which should be a HUGE target for him - are way worse. And it's not like he's gonna compete for the GC anyway.

I think you are underestimating Rolland.
And its 5 minutes.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
I think you are underestimating Rolland.
And its 5 minutes.

with a difficult giro in the leg, still can't see Rolland doing anything in the GC. He might suffer even more in the third week.

maxmartin said:
with a difficult giro in the leg, still can't see Rolland doing anything in the GC. He might suffer even more in the third week.

Maybe, but he came into the Tour cold, dropped lots during the first few challenges and got most of it back today.

Top quality plan and execution. If he can limit the loss tomorrow to Nibali, Contador and Porte, he might just hang in for a solid GC.

I think he can, but we shall see.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Sciatic said:
probably true, but that's really the biggest change today: he's back in top ten with a shot to stay there.

Astana definitely wants more people back in GC, especially ahead of AC. So in case AC do attack, some of these people at least have the incentive to respond, so it could save Nibali's some energy.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Maybe, but he came into the Tour cold, dropped lots during the first few challenges and got most of it back today.

Top quality plan and execution. If he can limit the loss tomorrow to Nibali, Contador and Porte, he might just hang in for a solid GC.

I don't mind him hanging there. I applaud his attacking effort in the Giro. Wish him all the best in this Tour.

uconnryan said:
Actually no, he looked surprisingly good. I remember last year at the Vuelta he attacked on a wet descent so maybe he's over the fear

Nice, thanks. I liked his honesty about this issue, become a bit of a fan since (plus the Madiot stage ofc)

Just watching the rest of the finish. My biggest takeaway is that Tony Gallopin's wife/girlfriend is gorgeous. Wow.

She is Marion Rousse, French RR champion.

Libertine Seguros said:
Is that really his first road win?! I could have sworn he had some others to go with his near misses in Frankfurt and the Vuelta. I see he has a few as a junior in the Giro delle Regioni, Thüringen Rundfahrt etc.; he won Hel van het Mergelland (1.1) in 2008... a stage of the Tour de Suisse in 2009...

Not sure I'm keen on the Panzerwagen hat.

And stage 2 of Pais Vasco this year. I'm surprised YOU forgot that.

Dazed and Confused said:

Agree. I don't think Rolland intended to concede a minute on the finish at Gérardmer (stage 8). If he really had the form to be a serious challenger he would have been closer to Contador et al. But his attacking style is to be admired.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Agree. I don't think Rolland intended to concede a minute on the finish at Gérardmer (stage 8). If he really had the form to be a serious challenger he would have been closer to Contador et al. But his attacking style is to be admired.

I worried about him tomorrow. He spent quite energy today. And tomorrow is no joke.

maxmartin said:
I worried about him tomorrow. He spent quite energy today. And tomorrow is no joke.

He spend some energy getting into the break, but can't say how bad it was without pictures. Mid stage he was very careful and sucked wheels. The last 10km he was at the front a lot.

If hes coming into some form, I think he can limit the loss tomorrow depending on how the stage is raced.

If a team goes berserk from the get go, Rolland will suffer big times I think.

Less than 60s loss, I'm happy.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
He spend some energy getting into the break, but can't say how bad it was without pictures. Mid stage he was very careful and sucked wheels. The last 10km he was at the front a lot.

If hes coming into some form, I think he can limit the loss tomorrow depending on how the stage is raced.

If a team goes berserk from the get go, Rolland will suffer big times I think.

Less than 60s loss, I'm happy.

almost for sure Saxo will do that. He lost a min on 8 (did he crash?), imagine how much more he can lose on tomorrow long climb? anyway I am worried, hope for the best.

maxmartin said:
almost for sure Saxo will do that. He lost a min on 8 (did he crash?), imagine how much more he can lose on tomorrow long climb? anyway I am worried, hope for the best.

No, don't think Tinkoff will go all in from the start. Too risky.

I'm worried about the break action and some secondary team simply throwing everything on the table at km zero.

But if the peloton lets 15 Frenchies go sort of quickly and we end up with a Tinkoff train at the end, Rolland will survive I think.

Anyway we shall soon see.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
No, don't think Tinkoff will go all in from the start. Too risky.

I'm worried about the break action and some secondary team simply throwing everything on the table at km zero.

But if the peloton lets 15 Frenchies go sort of quickly and we end up with a Tinkoff train at the end, Rolland will survive I think.

Anyway we shall soon see.

yep tomorrow is crucial for everyone!

TRENDING THREADS