• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Volta a Catalunya, Stage 1: Calella › Calella (165.7 Kms)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
roundabout said:
Or simply Montserrat and/or the murito at Platja d'Aro as backup GC stages should high mountains get cancelled

http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPerfilusu.asp?id=520

There are many back up possibilities. I suppose the organisers like the idea of big long climbs, but really in this season 2000m is not reasonnable. Even in late march, mountains remain mountains ! Above 1500/1600 they are taking unnecessary risks.

I mean look at what can happen on the Giro in May ! This is why I get annoyed when posters want some real big high mountains on Paris-Nice (not that the route couldn't be harder, this is a different point), they just don't understand that it isn't reasonable in this season. Even when Aso arrives at Lure (at 1600, on the south side of the mountain), they are takin a risk because it still might snow on the day if the weather is poor (take the weather we had for this year MSR, i am positive that at the same time you had snow from 1200 on at Lure...).

Anyway, end of rant, but organisers are being irresponsible when they bet too much on clement whether. To be exposed to a 1/20 chance outlier of cancellation, fair enough. To expose yourself to a 1/4 or 1/6 chance of cancellation is just daft.

nesocip said:
Any idea why Porte and Zubeldia lost time?

Crashes or illness, or "just like that"

"Richie Porte finished 2:58 down on the lead group with the support of team-mates Danny Pate and Josh Edmondson after not feeling his best.

Sports Director Nicolas Portal said: "Richie felt okay in training but today he felt a bit empty. We'll see how he goes day by day and if he begins to improve we're sure he will be able to play a role for himself and for Froomey. The team will keep a close eye on him."

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,30313_9230604,00.html

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
lol:eek:
the sad thing is that we probably won't have any battle between the big ones. what are the latest weather news?

maybe it's not the weather. It's the contender. Quintana looks like coming back from sickness that we didn't know of (taking antibiotics last week). Contador said he was tired from TA. (god knows he might be pulled out in the middle of the race due to fatique ;)). And Porte looked like he might be sick or something after today's performance. So it comes down to Froome vs Purito.

willbick said:
im gonna stick my neck out and say none of Froome, Contador, Purito, Porte or Quintana will win this race

Well, I've said before Betancur might be the strongest rider in this race. Perfect parcours for him. Thought Froome would ride for Porte, but the Tassie tanked today. Regroup? I don't think so. We shall see.

J-Rod and Martin will be competitive. Not sure about Contador.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
whittashau said:
Brambilla top 10? What the hell have OPQS done to him? He somehow can't climb anymore, yet he can get in the top 10 of a bunch sprint. I'm not sure what is more surprising.

gianluca brambilla was always quite fast for a climber

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Well, I've said before Betancur might be the strongest rider in this race. Perfect parcours for him. Thought Froome would ride for Porte, but the Tassie tanked today. Regroup? I don't think so. We shall see.

J-Rod and Martin will be competitive. Not sure about Contador.

betancurt is not in good form. he should have no chance on those climbs.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Porte's preparation for Giro is bad,looks like bad peaking or methods,very weird.Looking forward to mountain stages.

Ryo Hazuki said:
betancurt is not in good form. he should have no chance on those climbs.

these climbs arent that long Ryo,and Valter will be canceled or it looks like.
I think that Fat Cat aka Fatancur can does it:D

veji11 said:
Hehe... That's the thing with that super duper exciting Catalunya route that gets the fans drooling, well it means they take big chances with the weather. They would be better of trying to use more of those 1500/1600 climbs. Going to 2000 in March is just stupid, too much of a lottery (see 2 years ago and possibly this year).

agreed, 2,000metres unless very far south always going be hit and miss this early in the year.

TRENDING THREADS