• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, August 3 to 9

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
All this talk about the hardest climbs in the USA has reminded me of the fact that I really despise the USA Pro Cycling Challenge for not using the 2 high altitude monsters that they have. I'd love to see one of those climbs in a real race, it would be a massacre.

Evans and Pikes Peak? Yeah.

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
These guys talk way too much.
If they left a few silences then they would have time to study the
race radio/bib numbers /their notes more and so not end up
making so many uninformed over-dramatic comment/ pure guesswork.
When they talk off the top of their heads they end up being
way more repetitive than any other commentators I've ever heard.

Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
;)

Agreed. They do a good job for the most part but sometimes I just want them to be quiet. Maybe they've been told that any silence is bad.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Mayomaniac said:
All this talk about the hardest climbs in the USA has reminded me of the fact that I really despise the USA Pro Cycling Challenge for not using the 2 high altitude monsters that they have. I'd love to see one of those climbs in a real race, it would be a massacre.

Evans and Pikes Peak? Yeah.
Yes, it would be a wonderful day for cycling fans. :)

Ok, because I don't have much more time today these are just a few US climbs from the top of my head that are equal or more difficult than the Empire Pass, out of curiosity. Will post the many others when I have time. Or if someone wants to feel free. I don't have average slope info at hand.

Empire Pass (from Midway, the other way is taking the longer and arguably harder route from Guardsman Pass): Lenght 11.7km: Tops: 2708m. Gain: 925m
Jmn0hmQ.png

Mt. Evans (from Idaho Springs): Lenght: 44km. Tops: 4311m. Gain: 2100m
CMrGvHT.png

Mauna Kea: Lenght: 22km. Tops: 4200m. Gain: 2200m
tZeIrZa.png

Mt. Mitchell: Lenght: 31km. Tops: 1990m. Gain: 1738m
9axm50j.png

Mt. Washington: Lenght: 11.7km. Tops: 1884m. Gain: 1409m
cMjoywP.png

Pikes Peak: Lenght: 30.4km. Tops: 4290m. Gain: 2080m
9NVGpfA.png

Trail Ridge Rd (from Estes Park) Lenght: 28km. Tops: 3700m. Gain: 1320m