• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 tour de france stage 3, Antwerpen-Hoei 159.5km

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Warhawk said:
Glancing at the betting odds, looks like Froome is now evens to win, Quintina in the ballpark of 2:1 or a bit higher, Nibali and Contador at about 6-7:1, Van Garderen around 20-25:1, Purito around 30-40:1, Pinot at 50-60:1, and everyone else over 100.

Looks decent value on Nibali and Contador. Not sure why they have drifted so much, but Quintana has stayed fairly steady. Froome is obviously favourite, but I would probably only make him evens to finish the race. Stupidly short odds with so much racing to go.

I'd only bet on Nibali with these odds but I think it is not plausible to bet anything for GC.

Kwibus said:
PremierAndrew said:
blackmamba said:
at one point froome was riding zig-zag almost causing havoc in the entire peleton with his *** style I almost fell on the floor for laughing so hard:p haha

I doubt you were laughing. More likely salty than anything

Allthough op post is lame and childish, froome really went a bit nuts there. Almost causing crashes. Pushing bakelandts away. Then he also pushed Gallopin away on Huy.
He's not making friends. That could be bad, but then again Froome being assertive is kind of good for him, but also kind of awkward.

He did seem desparate to hit the front at 500m to go.

DFA123 said:
Warhawk said:
Glancing at the betting odds, looks like Froome is now evens to win, Quintina in the ballpark of 2:1 or a bit higher, Nibali and Contador at about 6-7:1, Van Garderen around 20-25:1, Purito around 30-40:1, Pinot at 50-60:1, and everyone else over 100.

Looks decent value on Nibali and Contador. Not sure why they have drifted so much, but Quintana has stayed fairly steady. Froome is obviously favourite, but I would probably only make him evens to finish the race. Stupidly short odds with so much racing to go.

If I had to guess it's because Quintana was already somewhat expected to be at a time disadvantage going into the mountains and that he'd be a good bet to make up ground there, so the fact that that's the case already hasn't quite moved his line as much as Nibali and Contator (especially Nibali, since the expectation was that he might have the lead going into the mountains by virtue of the cobbles, and conventional wisdom is that Nibali's best chance would be to gain a cushion and hold on in the mountains and that he'd have trouble gaining time there).

burning said:
DFA123 said:
Warhawk said:

I'd only bet on Nibali with these odds but I think it is not plausible to bet anything for GC.

Yeah, there's no outstanding value, but I don't get why Nibali in particular has drifted out so much. He got caught behind a split and then lost 10 seconds on an explosive climb. There's no indication yet of his form in high mountains - so it seems strange for him to go out by so much. A couple of minutes is nothing really at this stage in the race.

Kwibus said:
PremierAndrew said:
blackmamba said:
at one point froome was riding zig-zag almost causing havoc in the entire peleton with his *** style I almost fell on the floor for laughing so hard:p haha

I doubt you were laughing. More likely salty than anything

Allthough op post is lame and childish, froome really went a bit nuts there. Almost causing crashes. Pushing bakelandts away. Then he also pushed Gallopin away on Huy.
He's not making friends. That could be bad, but then again Froome being assertive is kind of good for him, but also kind of awkward.

I felt bad for Bardet i think it was him, when Froome was in love with his stem and rode into him at the Cherave and almost punched him afterwards. No way he gets over the cobbles tomorrow

Warhawk said:
DFA123 said:
Warhawk said:

If I had to guess it's because Quintana was already somewhat expected to be at a time disadvantage going into the mountains and that he'd be a good bet to make up ground there, so the fact that that's the case already hasn't quite moved his line as much as Nibali and Contator (especially Nibali, since the expectation was that he might have the lead going into the mountains by virtue of the cobbles, and conventional wisdom is that Nibali's best chance would be to gain a cushion and hold on in the mountains and that he'd have trouble gaining time there).

That's a fair point regarding Nibali. Although I think last year his performances in the last week in the mountains (6.1w/kg on Hautacam on the last mountain of the race :eek: ) suggests that he could easily still claw back time if he has similar form.

I'm also not sure what people expected from Contador pre-race. To be 35 seconds down on Froome after a time trial and Mur de Huy isn't awful by any means.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
classicomano said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Gigs_98 said:
Andy Schleck was second in the flèche wallone 2009, and I think quintana is a very similar rider. So I think its possible that nairo wont even do as bad as everyone expects.
quintana and andy are COMPLETELY different type of riders. still as long as quintana is placed well he won't lose much time. froome will have a harder time on mur
Hahaha, keep eating **** Ryo.

More ball sacks needed?... Anyway, thanks Ryo. Your prediction of Froome doing bad led me to think him doing T-5 today. Keep coming... ;)

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe there is some sand-bagging going on.

This is gonna be an awful tough TDF in the mountains and what Froome did today - he will surely pay for later.

Nibali will save himself for tomorrow surely when he can put all the GC under pressure (hopefully)

Contador didn't lose much today.

To say that Froome is now 80% to win the whole thing is WAAAAAY to optimistic IMO.

PremierAndrew said:
AlexNYC said:
rick james said:
AlexNYC said:
Froome 'looks' unbeatable at the moment; but how close to peak form is he? Can he sustain this form through three weeks? And what about the other 3 contenders, are they going to be flying higher than Froome by the time we get to the mountain stages?

How anyone can believe the GC race is over is a mystery to me.
well he is talking about peaking for the 3rd week

Maybe, but unless Sky has made hitherto unknown scientific advances, I think he's very close to peak form right now. Let's not forget he was already very good at the Dauphine.

A 'very good' Froome does not struggle to gain 45 seconds over TvG over 2 mountain stages (no disrespect to TJ)

Normally I'd agree with you but TJ seems to have stepped up a level. We'll see...

Re:

Fight.The.Power said:
Maybe there is some sand-bagging going on.

This is gonna be an awful tough TDF in the mountains and what Froome did today - he will surely pay for later.

Nibali will save himself for tomorrow surely when he can put all the GC under pressure (hopefully)

Contador didn't lose much today.

To say that Froome is now 80% to win the whole thing is WAAAAAY to optimistic IMO.
I concur.
So much can happen. And I doubt any of the other three contenders will stop trying unless they're 10 minutes down in the GC.

Random GC riders:

1. Froome
3. Van Garderen +13
7. Uran +34
8. Contador +36
11. Barguil +1.07
12. Mollema +1.32
13. Nibali +1.38
16. Valverde +1.51
17. Quintana +1.56
18. Rodriguez +2.00
21. Peraud +2.07
26. Bardet +2.54
27. Pinot +2.58

Already huge gaps. Froome looks by far the strongest. TJ the second strongest.

classicomano said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Gigs_98 said:
Andy Schleck was second in the flèche wallone 2009, and I think quintana is a very similar rider. So I think its possible that nairo wont even do as bad as everyone expects.
quintana and andy are COMPLETELY different type of riders. still as long as quintana is placed well he won't lose much time. froome will have a harder time on mur
Hahaha, keep eating **** Ryo.

In fairness, he was 50% right. :p

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Random GC riders:

1. Froome
3. Van Garderen +13
7. Uran +34
8. Contador +36
11. Barguil +1.07
12. Mollema +1.32
13. Nibali +1.38
16. Valverde +1.51
17. Quintana +1.56
18. Rodriguez +2.00
21. Peraud +2.07
26. Bardet +2.54
27. Pinot +2.58

Already huge gaps. Froome looks by far the strongest. TJ the second strongest.

Frenchmen better step it up.

TRENDING THREADS