• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de Suisse - Route

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
barmaher said:
I think it is a good route. Who cares if there is only 1 MTF? All the more reason for a climber like Nairo to go bananas from 12km out (he says hopefully).

I don't mind if there's only one MTF. People who visit the race design thread will probably know I wouldn't mind if MTF's were banned from cycling. Problem is that there's nothing but 1 MTF to create timegaps. OK, there are some hilly stages and 1 medium mountain stage, but that one MTF is so hard it will probably paralyse racing the days before.
We'll probably see a small group escaping on the last climb to Rotkreuz, very conservative racing from the favorites during the hilly stages, some attacks in the last few km's towards Rettenbachferner and then the final TT. To be honest, the overall schedule seems more or less comparable with this years Paris-Nice, but the indivadual climbs are of course way harder.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
Parrulo said:
How difficult is the first Sunday stage?

If the last climb is hard it could give us some decent racing.

Does anyone have an idea of what the field will look like?

Costa
Quintana (?)
?

Too early in the season to be sure about this, but Formolo is scheduled to ride it.

Formolo, isn't he riding the Giro? I've heard that Dombrowski is skeduled to ride it. They should also send Tommy D, I know he only performs well in US-races, but a really steep climb at high altitude would be perfect for him. Procyclingstats has Majka on the startlist, but who knows, it would be a nice opportunity for him before riding the TdF as a superdom.

I think it's one of the best routes from the last years, and one of the best I can remember. I like the approach of the medium mountain/hilly stages. Stage 2 looks like a remastered version of last year's stage 6 profile, which is nice, especially so early in the race. Last year we had to wait for stage 7 to see any meaningful gaps. If you look at it this year, every stage is (can be) a GC stage, except stage 6. It won't be a pure climber to win it.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
BigMac said:
It won't be a pure climber to win it.

I wouldn't be so sure. The MTF is so hard, that only this and the last ITT could create some sort of gaps that will really count in GC. For instance I could see Quintana winning this.

A shame that there is none of the favorites are racing the 4th Grand Tour.

No Quintana, he is racing Route du Sud instead (http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana)
No Contador, Route du Sud
No Nibali, Dauphiné
No Froome, Dauphiné
No Valverde, Dauphiné
No Talansky and Tejay, Dauphiné
No Purito, Dauphiné
The french (Pinot, Peraud, Bardet, Rolland, Barguil) are all riding Dauphiné instead of Suisse.
Costa is skipping Suisse in favor of Dauphiné.

Majka and Kwaitkowski are the only big names who have taken up the challenge. Some of the names I've mentioned above should try to win this beautiful race instead of losing stage 7 to Froome and the rest to Valverde.

Oh, there is also some post-glory riders like Gesink, Schleck and JVDB. Should be easy to beat. What are the GC guys waiting for?

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Velolover2 said:

I'm aware of his schedule. Doesn't mean it won't change. No Nairo in the race will make him and his team re-consider it.
Yeah. I think a a lot of the GC guys should reconsider it. There will be huge gaps in stage 4 with that brutal mountain. Way way harder than any of the climbs in Dauphiné.

d3d5bc44.jpg

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is a little different profile, which one, then, describes the climb set in the race?
Rettenbachferner-Solden_profile.jpg

EDIT: Finally I see it's the same climb - the first on just has a higher-placed top.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
I'm not even sure there are any climbs as hard as Rettenbach in the Tour this year.

I would think if Tour had a climb has hard as Rettenbachferner this year, it would be the toughest climb Tour has ever done. This is pretty extreme climb, around if not above above the likes of Zoncolan and Angliru.

mihhint said:
Velolover2 said:
I'm not even sure there are any climbs as hard as Rettenbach in the Tour this year.

I would think if Tour had a climb has hard as Rettenbachferner this year, it would be the toughest climb Tour has ever done. This is pretty extreme climb, around if not above above the likes of Zoncolan and Angliru.
Has the tour even ever used a climb with over 10% which was HC :confused: :D

Gigs_98 said:
mihhint said:
Velolover2 said:

Has the tour even ever used a climb with over 10% which was HC :confused: :D

Don't think so. Col du Granon (last and solely visited in '86) comes very close, Joux Plane is 9%. Plateau de Beille, Pailhères, Hautacam are like 8% average. Pla d'Adet slightly more. These are the steepest HC cat. climbs in the Tour I can think of. The likes of Agnel and the now interdicted Puy de Dôme have very nasty finales, but lose on average gradient due to their easier first half.

TRENDING THREADS