• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 tour d'france stage 10: Tarbes › La Pierre-Saint-Martin

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Froomes body composition is incredible. Takes a lot of dedication to diet for many weeks. I want to know why Contador looks so off compared to last year. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Re: Re:

Dutchsmurf said:
irondan said:
Climbing said:
irondan said:
Are you guys serious or just looking for a reaction? Pull out of the race because Froome had a great stage? Good grief... :confused:

Nibali is completely out of form, Froome has nothing to do with it, of course for Alberto was a strong possibility trying the double.

Not that I can imagine anyone competing with a Froome like this anyway.
Yes but quitting a race because you can't win it in the beginning of the second week is lame IMO.

What is the alternative tho? Riding for second place? Dropping 20 minutes and going for stages? Are those options any less lame?
I don't know, maybe Froome cracks tomorrow after today's effort, maybe he gets sick or has a mechanical. He also needs to actually finish the race, something he didn't do last year. I see many reasons why one would not give up and call it a day..

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Can anyone explain why exactly Movistar and FdJ have been pulling all day? There must be a strategic point to it that I don't see.

I couldn't figure this out either. Just about as bizarre was Garmin Cannondale pulling! I think Moviestar wanted to show their strength and played the ego card...we can just break them. Didn't work very well. Funny how some teams just don't seem to ride very smart. Think they got hosed by team Sky. It may be considered collusion but wonder why a few teams don't band together, form an alliance and take off in a breakaway? What's to lose? Then make Sky drag the whole peleton behind them to catch up. Anyways, barring crash or something unforseen this tour is done. Should we really be watching hoping the leader crashes to even things up? That seems to be where we are at.

Ricksterh1 said:
Pantani_lives said:
Can anyone explain why exactly Movistar and FdJ have been pulling all day? There must be a strategic point to it that I don't see.

I couldn't figure this out either. Just about as bizarre was Garmin Cannondale pulling! I think Moviestar wanted to show their strength and played the ego card...we can just break them. Didn't work very well. Funny how some teams just don't seem to ride very smart. Think they got hosed by team Sky. It may be considered collusion but wonder why a few teams don't band together, form an alliance and take off in a breakaway? What's to lose? Then make Sky drag the whole peleton behind them to catch up. Anyways, barring crash or something unforseen this tour is done. Should we really be watching hoping the leader crashes to even things up? That seems to be where we are at.

At this point I'd be more surprised if Garmin Cannondale didn't do something completely incomprehensible on any given stage.

Sometimes I wonder why some riders are always capable of being at their best when they have too and others are not even close to where they were last year.

Ofcourse so many things play a role in this, but is it really just a mentality issue?
So I'm exclusing crashes and sickness here.

Also the mental part plays a huge role. Nibali crashes once, loses time in the wind. Ttt didnt go that well... It seems that stuff like that goes into someones mind. Just like lil richie at the giro.
Not to mention Pinot....

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

It's a misconception that the Maillot Jeune team is obliged to pull all day. They may have dibs on setting the pace that they like, but if any other team feels that the pace of the peloton is too slow they will have to take it upon themselves to increase the pace.

It is to Sky's advantage to allow the bonus seconds to be gobbled up by the break, so they deliberately set a low pace to allow the break to go clear. On the assumption that Quintana is able to drop Froome in the final climb, it would be advantageous for Quintana to take the bonus seconds for winning the stage, so Movistar worked to bring the break back.

No idea about FDJ. Perhaps they wanted to launch someone into the break.

Re:

Contador-He was put through the wringer by Astana but won the Giro. His age surely didn't help him bounce back from that effort. Still a very disappointing showing. He is out of it.

Nibali-Looked strong until his crash. No coming back now, he is out of it.

Nairo - and MoviStar please save us from the Machine and Stick Man!

Tejay - just keeps riding on, looking good for a podium right now!

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

Poursuivant said:
harryh said:
6.09 W/kg for 40min. Strong ride by Chris! https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily

So basically, very, very similar to what Nibali did on Hautacam last year? And he did that deep into the tour, not on the first MTF. Reading through some of the comments on here has been hilarious, the hate because their favourite rider has been beat :D

Completely agree with you, it was more GC guys falling by the wayside than anything. Gesink to finish that close in the end makes it seem like a standard enough performance from Froome.

wwabbit said:
Pantani_lives said:

It's a misconception that the Maillot Jeune team is obliged to pull all day. They may have dibs on setting the pace that they like, but if any other team feels that the pace of the peloton is too slow they will have to take it upon themselves to increase the pace.

It is to Sky's advantage to allow the bonus seconds to be gobbled up by the break, so they deliberately set a low pace to allow the break to go clear. On the assumption that Quintana is able to drop Froome in the final climb, it would be advantageous for Quintana to take the bonus seconds for winning the stage, so Movistar worked to bring the break back.

No idea about FDJ. Perhaps they wanted to launch someone into the break.
There are no more bonification seconds, the last were on stage 8. Sky still may not have a reason to chase the breakaway, because they care about the jersey more than the stage win and don't want to spend unnecessary energy chasing.
I thought FDJ wanted to set up Démare for the intermediate sprint first, but they pulled even afterwards, and if it was for Pinot, I don't know what they were expecting from him.

meat puppet said:
Poursuivant said:
harryh said:
6.09 W/kg for 40min. Strong ride by Chris! https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily

So basically, very, very similar to what Nibali did on Hautacam last year? And he did that deep into the tour, not on the first MTF. Reading through some of the comments on here has been hilarious, the hate because their favourite rider has been beat :D
You are wrong. The point is cycling does not need ukpostal on top of uspostal. Dynasties are BS.

Go back and have a read through this thread, you would think Froome was putting in the greatest performance of all time: it was a perfect stage for Sky, one climb upon which Movistar chased for them all day, it was the very first climb of the entire Tour so they are at their freshest, and let's face it Nibali and Contador are miles from their best. 6.09 W/KG really isn't anywhere near as mutant as made out on here, the amount of clinic talk from bitter fans is tiring.

TRENDING THREADS