• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 tour d'france stage 10: Tarbes › La Pierre-Saint-Martin

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Watching highlights now.

Didn't realise Movistar did such brilliant work for Froome.

If you look back at the climb you can see how protected not just Froome was but also Porte and Thomas by Movistar. Sky were able to conserve a lot more energy. The Movistar tactics might of worked in week 3 on an Alpine stage but not this early in the Tour...

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
harryh said:
6.09 W/kg for 40min. Strong ride by Chris! https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily

So basically, very, very similar to what Nibali did on Hautacam last year? And he did that deep into the tour, not on the first MTF. Reading through some of the comments on here has been hilarious, the hate because their favourite rider has been beat :D

This is a ray of sunshine (read hope) as it implies that just everyone else was not on a great day.

Surely then the main GC contenders can match this output at some later stage ?

Jim2784 said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Watching highlights now.

Didn't realise Movistar did such brilliant work for Froome.

If you look back at the climb you can see how protected not just Froome was but also Porte and Thomas by Movistar. Sky were able to conserve a lot more energy. The Movistar tactics might of worked in week 3 on an Alpine stage but not this early in the Tour...

I'm sure there'll be a thread about how inept they are.

Vasilis said:
wwabbit said:
Pantani_lives said:
Can anyone explain why exactly Movistar and FdJ have been pulling all day? There must be a strategic point to it that I don't see.

It's a misconception that the Maillot Jeune team is obliged to pull all day. They may have dibs on setting the pace that they like, but if any other team feels that the pace of the peloton is too slow they will have to take it upon themselves to increase the pace.

It is to Sky's advantage to allow the bonus seconds to be gobbled up by the break, so they deliberately set a low pace to allow the break to go clear. On the assumption that Quintana is able to drop Froome in the final climb, it would be advantageous for Quintana to take the bonus seconds for winning the stage, so Movistar worked to bring the break back.

No idea about FDJ. Perhaps they wanted to launch someone into the break.
There are no more bonification seconds, the last were on stage 8. Sky still may not have a reason to chase the breakaway, because they care about the jersey more than the stage win and don't want to spend unnecessary energy chasing.
I thought FDJ wanted to set up Démare for the intermediate sprint first, but they pulled even afterwards, and if it was for Pinot, I don't know what they were expecting from him.

There still are bonifications.....

Poursuivant said:
meat puppet said:
Poursuivant said:
harryh said:
6.09 W/kg for 40min. Strong ride by Chris! https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily

So basically, very, very similar to what Nibali did on Hautacam last year? And he did that deep into the tour, not on the first MTF. Reading through some of the comments on here has been hilarious, the hate because their favourite rider has been beat :D
You are wrong. The point is cycling does not need ukpostal on top of uspostal. Dynasties are BS.

Go back and have a read through this thread, you would think Froome was putting in the greatest performance of all time: it was a perfect stage for Sky, one climb upon which Movistar chased for them all day, it was the very first climb of the entire Tour so they are at their freshest, and let's face it Nibali and Contador are miles from their best. 6.09 W/KG really isn't anywhere near as mutant as made out on here, the amount of clinic talk from bitter fans is tiring.
Fair enough. But I disagree. Sky was over the top today, especially Porte and Thomas. There is no denying it. But that's not the point. Sky has been over the top since 2012. I don't care which individual top dog wins, really. But this sport needs no further dynasties. It is a good thing for instance that the Contador dynasty, which was in the makes circa 2010, did not happen. And the current one should not happen either.

Feel free to disagree as well. :)

The fridge in the blue trees said:
Vasilis said:
wwabbit said:
Pantani_lives said:
Can anyone explain why exactly Movistar and FdJ have been pulling all day? There must be a strategic point to it that I don't see.

It's a misconception that the Maillot Jeune team is obliged to pull all day. They may have dibs on setting the pace that they like, but if any other team feels that the pace of the peloton is too slow they will have to take it upon themselves to increase the pace.

It is to Sky's advantage to allow the bonus seconds to be gobbled up by the break, so they deliberately set a low pace to allow the break to go clear. On the assumption that Quintana is able to drop Froome in the final climb, it would be advantageous for Quintana to take the bonus seconds for winning the stage, so Movistar worked to bring the break back.

No idea about FDJ. Perhaps they wanted to launch someone into the break.
There are no more bonification seconds, the last were on stage 8. Sky still may not have a reason to chase the breakaway, because they care about the jersey more than the stage win and don't want to spend unnecessary energy chasing.
I thought FDJ wanted to set up Démare for the intermediate sprint first, but they pulled even afterwards, and if it was for Pinot, I don't know what they were expecting from him.

There still are bonifications.....
Yeah, just saw that too. Weird, because the Tour site said they were only on stages 2-8.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
this is so 2013! froome was expected to win this stage it was designed for sky. i am a bit concerned about this years route: many MTFs, but not one real big AND long mountain stage. the last i saw in TDF was galiber2011. some riders like nairo need these real mountain stages to play their cards. and i think froom wouldnt like these stages.

Vasilis said:
There are no more bonification seconds, the last were on stage 8.

There seems to be conflicting sources about the bonifications. The Tour site http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/sporting-stakes-rules.html suggests that they only apply on stages 2-8 but the rulebook itself http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/docs/TDF15_Reglement-BD.pdf clearly states (in Article 26) that it applies to all road stages.

TJVG started the day 12" behind Froome, lost 2' 30" on this stage, and is now 2' 52" behind, confirming that Froome did get 10" bonus for this stage.

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
Forgetting the Sky freakshow for a moment, Gesink was actually exceptional today, attacking 11k out and in the end losing only half a minute to Quintana. Maybe the most surprising result of today actully. Although obviously overshadowed by what happened ahead of him.

Please can we stop the blatant clinic talk?

wwabbit said:
Vasilis said:
There are no more bonification seconds, the last were on stage 8.

There seems to be conflicting sources about the bonifications. The Tour site http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/sporting-stakes-rules.html suggests that they only apply on stages 2-8 but the rulebook itself http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/docs/TDF15_Reglement-BD.pdf clearly states (in Article 26) that it applies to all road stages.

TJVG started the day 12" behind Froome, lost 2' 30" on this stage, and is now 2' 52" behind, confirming that Froome did get 10" bonus for this stage.
Saw that too, they should get their facts right.

Re: 2015 tour d'france stage 10: Tarbes › La Pierre-Saint-Ma

You know, I don't like froome, I don't make a secret of it but at the moment I am only sad that again we probably wont see a big fight for gc this year. To watch this race was just frustrating and even if you are a froome fan you have to consider admit that today wasnt a good day for this tour.

Gigs_98 said:
You know, I don't like froome, I don't make a secret of it but at the moment I am only sad that again we probably wont see a big fight for gc this year. To watch this race was just frustrating and even if you are a froome fan you have to consider admit that today wasnt a good day for this tour.

Well it's not exactly Froome's fault. Nibali is having a bad year and may be over-rated generally, Contador has voluntarily stopped himself being as well prepared for this Tour, and Quintana is riding his first Tour as leader from day 1. The other three contenders didn't just hand Froome the stage, they couldn't follow his expected gameplan. Note the OP by the sceptic:

"Boring stage on paper. A weak break will go which will have 0.00001% chance to hold. Sky to take control on the MTF and shed the peloton down to about 10 riders before Dawg attacks and puts the tour away for good. "

He also predicted Quintana would be a minute behind Froome (albeit he thought Contandor would be second +35).

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Note the OP by the sceptic:

"Boring stage on paper. A weak break will go which will have 0.00001% chance to hold. Sky to take control on the MTF and shed the peloton down to about 10 riders before Dawg attacks and puts the tour away for good. "

He also predicted Quintana would be a minute behind Froome (albeit he thought Contandor would be second +35).

good previeuw, but i said froom#1, nairo #3. isn't it sad it was that predictable? no creation without chaos!

TRENDING THREADS