• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 tour d'france stage 10: Tarbes › La Pierre-Saint-Martin

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2015 tour d'france stage 10: Tarbes › La Pierre-Saint-Ma

Gigs_98 said:
You know, I don't like froome, I don't make a secret of it but at the moment I am only sad that again we probably wont see a big fight for gc this year. To watch this race was just frustrating and even if you are a froome fan you have to consider admit that today wasnt a good day for this tour.
Yes. First MTF and the battle for GC is dead. I had delusions of a grand battle to this very day, despite the signs pointing to Froome being dominant quite strongly.

Froome and Sky delivered a performance that has surpassed my wildest fears and hyperbolic predictions made in jest.

I'm done watching this year.

Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
mr. tibbs said:
dacooley said:
well, probably it's time to say froome was seriously being underrated by the forums. monstrous ride

That's literally not true. I for one have been posting from the opening TT that Froome is clearly the strongest.

Sky persecution complex. :rolleyes:

You are not all of the forum though...
I think 90% of the posters thought Froome would go full genius :confused:

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:
You know, I don't like froome, I don't make a secret of it but at the moment I am only sad that again we probably wont see a big fight for gc this year. To watch this race was just frustrating and even if you are a froome fan you have to consider admit that today wasnt a good day for this tour.
Yes. First MTF and the battle for GC is dead. I had delusions of a grand battle to this very day, despite the signs pointing to Froome being dominant quite strongly.

Froome and Sky delivered a performance that has surpassed my wildest fears and hyperbolic predictions made in jest.

Acting like the only point of interest is who finished first in the final GC is really no better than the behavior of mythical July Sky fans who are so often discussed here like modern day reds under the bed.

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:

To be fair, isn't this just what people think when their personal favourite isn't going to win? I loved every second of the '06 Giro even though the GC was over before it even began.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:

dont be silly, this Tour is not over (okay there is like 5% chance its not, but thats still lot :p )

Dutchsmurf said:
irondan said:
Climbing said:
irondan said:
Are you guys serious or just looking for a reaction? Pull out of the race because Froome had a great stage? Good grief... :confused:

Nibali is completely out of form, Froome has nothing to do with it, of course for Alberto was a strong possibility trying the double.

Not that I can imagine anyone competing with a Froome like this anyway.
Yes but quitting a race because you can't win it in the beginning of the second week is lame IMO.

What is the alternative tho? Riding for second place? Dropping 20 minutes and going for stages? Are those options any less lame?

Anything is "less lame" than quitting. How about helping his team mates if he can't ride for himself?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Acting like the only point of interest is who finished first in the final GC is really no better than the behavior of mythical July Sky fans who are so often discussed here like modern day reds under the bed.
Seems like you regard points of interest to be an objective thing. I disagree. I've always found this to be a hilarious point of view, akin to telling someone he's wrong about, say, not liking the taste of Pizza.

cellardoor said:
SeriousSam said:

To be fair, isn't this just what people think when their personal favourite isn't going to win? I loved every second of the '06 Giro even though the GC was over before it even began.
Sure. Nothing wrong with that. Froome fans will be happy today. For myself, I don't have a personal favourite, I take interest in enthralling battles for GC, especially in the mountains, so today is a huge disappointment.

On the plus side, one of the questions I've been very interested in is who the best climber of recent years is, and now I've got a clear answer.

With all the parallels to 2013 we shouldn't forget that sky was extremely bad one day later. However back then nobody could really benefit from that but maybe, just maybe froome will loose time tomorrow. That is almost the only possibility how the battle for 1st could become interesting again.

SeriousSam said:
I've always found this to be a hilarious point of view, akin to telling someone he's wrong about, say, not liking the taste of Pizza.

Well, that is pretty weird. I would almost call that outright wrong, especially if it's covered with green chillies.

cellardoor said:
SeriousSam said:
I've always found this to be a hilarious point of view, akin to telling someone he's wrong about, say, not liking the taste of Pizza.

Well, that is pretty weird. I would almost call that outright wrong, especially if it's covered with green chillies.

Especially if you call yourself a pizza fan, spend time discussing pizza on a pizza forum, but then moan because the pepperoni is gone and you only like pepperoni.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Pizza analogy clearly proved too difficult to comprehend, so let us try without it. Waterloo, why don't you make the case that it's objectionable behaviour for me not to take much of an interest in anything but the battle for the MJ.

Provided you believe that of course. Could be that you merely wanted to expose me as a hypocrite, because I supposedly accused "July Sky fans" of the same in the past. But I don't think I did, so back it up.

I think that thee is still some chance for some GC excitement. Froome is obviously very good. Tejay (as usual) didn't come out of the rest day well so I think that he will improve. I still think that AC will improve as the TdF goes on (unless the breathing issues are allergies, or infection). I think that NQ will also improve as he settles in. There were a few others in the top 10 today that could also play a role in the podium challenge. There is still a lot of road between today and the Champs-Elysees, and a lot can happen.

EDIT: The top 15 or so actually didn't look that "off". How about that Yates kid?! I knew he was tough, but wow!

Waterloo Sunrise said:
SeriousSam said:
Gigs_98 said:

as if sky fans are the only ones who come out in July. long before sky the interest in cycling peaked for the tour, more than all other races combined (though obviously not the hardcore). saying that sky fans are glory hunters just makes you sound foolish and bitter.

Gigs_98 said:
With all the parallels to 2013 we shouldn't forget that sky was extremely bad one day later. However back then nobody could really benefit from that but maybe, just maybe froome will loose time tomorrow. That is almost the only possibility how the battle for 1st could become interesting again.

Gonna need to be a lot more thanone bad day

Also I assume you are talking about Alpe d'huez (not Bagneres de Bigorre), either way, Froome's time loss was minimal and due to a freakish car accident.
If your talking about Bagneres de Bigorren stage then I'm seriously worried, as Froome out-rode Movistar and (the then) Saxo-Tinkoff

LaFlorecita said:
Mayomaniac said:
Vasilis said:
I thought results like this only happened in PCM. I guess I would have G jump Valverde in the end though.
No, G seems to be a classy guy and there was no need to outsprint him.
That pat on the back was completely unnecessary though.

Though a nice gesture I thought it was more a "sorry mate, but we out-played you today," then a "well- done" pat on the back for me.

Either way I wouldn't call it unecessary

Ruby United said:
LaFlorecita said:
Mayomaniac said:
Vasilis said:
I thought results like this only happened in PCM. I guess I would have G jump Valverde in the end though.
No, G seems to be a classy guy and there was no need to outsprint him.
That pat on the back was completely unnecessary though.

Though a nice gesture I thought it was more a "sorry mate, but we out-played you today," then a "well- done" pat on the back for me.

Either way I wouldn't call it unecessary

I think you may be reading too much into a pat - just looked like a "thanks for pulling me up the mountain" pat to me.

TRENDING THREADS