• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour Down Under, Jan 18-25 (2.uwt)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
when you look at this stage and Paracombe, nothing between them really, just tactical decisions as to when to jump in the final km of those stages made the difference

Capture1.jpg

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Lupi33 said:
interesting interview with Dennis
said Richie went too late

In hindsight, Dennis is right. In reality perhaps the right moment to press the go button was clouded by the fact his lungs were trying to jump out of his throat ;)

Gutsy performance by Dennis though.

auscyclefan94 said:
Astana looks pretty stupid now

Nah. You're never sure who's truly going to have the legs in the end and they didn't have anything to lose, really. It's not like they were leading the race.

First race of the year, they stayed visible, and they played their cards. Better that than staying invisible for a 10th place.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Astana looks pretty stupid now
Nah not at all I'd say
They got the split in their favour but there was just a bit to much fire power in the second group with an aim to chase Evans & Dennis.
If Orica, Saxo or Sky were also ahead of the split, it may well have worked.

They gave it a crack to get away trying to win the stage and it didn't work.
That's what we the fans want isn't it? for riders/teams to throw a bit of caution to the wind and have a crack.

If anything it's BMC that you could say looks a bit stupid because they got involved and nearly lost the race and I'm saying that as someone who was hoping for an Evans win and if not then Dennis to win.

Jspear said:

So, assuming that Porte doesnt grab some time bonuses tomorrow (and I very much doubt that he can), Dennis has it. Evans probably has more concern for his spot if Dumoulin can sprint, but given that tomorrow is his last appearance in a WT event, he might just contest the finish.

I wonder what the Organisers will do for publicity next year - Evans presence in 2010 when in the Rainbow jersey no doubt helped them financially as well as his presence last year and this one. Gerrans :eek: , or some Aussie who climbs to fame and gets lots of airtime during 2015?

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I dont think Gerrans ever really was a draw-card.

This year it was Kittel getting most of the international cred publicity, we'll see if he delivers on that tomorrow. Barring incident, he should without serious challenge.

As long as there's a few Aussies winning GT stages or the odd classic in Europe there's always someone to replace the departed.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
movingtarget said:
A criterium on the final stage is always an anti climax unless two sprinters are first and second on GC. The race is better than it was but a few more changes could improve it even more. I think a TT stage sometimes would be good.

problem with a TT stage is it could decide the whole race every year if its individual, and if its team then Orica will blow everyone away and its a no contest for the rest of the race.

the weakest part of this race now is the final stage which I always find a borefest until the final kilometre.

perhaps if it started out of town and finished as a few laps in the city it might make it more interesting.

perhaps start in Willunga and head back in...

at least give a chance of a breakaway lasting

TRENDING THREADS