• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour Down Under, Jan 18-25 (2.uwt)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Lupi33 said:
on the Euro pro-conti debate, there are a few of them in Australia for the Cadel Evans Classic.

however this argument would have some legs if UniSA team were rubbish - but given they were quite strong overall in the race, arguably they made it tougher

We can argue about this all day but we all know the only reason they were "strong" is because the field quality was so low.

After all, when somebody like Bobridge, who is not a climber by any mean, wins the KOM competition, you know there is something seriously wrong with the race.

Its an Australian race for Australian fans, nothing more, nothing less. Australian riders and teams won everything, every stage (but one), every competition, top 3 on GC, does that sound right to you?

Why there are not 3 Aussies on WT stage race podium in other races?

I'm just not sure why they make it mandatory for the WT teams to participate, thats all I'm saying

trevim said:
Maybe I'm being unfair but TdU seems like it step down a bit in terms of quality of riders. This year it was even more of an australian business without a true european star in good shape like Ulissi, Valverde, Thomas or Gesink for instance.

I think it is all about the time of the year. January is too early in the year for many Northern Hemisphere riders, but some like to get out of the winter. These days, riders who want to be at their peak in July wont be interested in racing in January - Evans was an example, wasn't here in 2011-2013. To a lesser extent, many end their season after the Worlds each year, so late season races suffer as well.

January of course is still Summer Holiday time in Australia (for most, school resumes the first week in February), so the promoters want it on when people can attend. It is also a matter of where it can fit in with the rest of the UCI calendar.

As to the TV coverage, being outside OZ, i don't know what the domestic TV was like in terms of Advertising breaks, but the Live Streaming being unrestricted was a good surprise, and had very few Ads in it, likewise the Eurosport Asia coverage which was identical (except for logo) to the Stream.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Yingge said:
I think it is all about the time of the year. January is too early in the year for many Northern Hemisphere riders, but some like to get out of the winter. These days, riders who want to be at their peak in July wont be interested in racing in January - Evans was an example, wasn't here in 2011-2013. To a lesser extent, many end their season after the Worlds each year, so late season races suffer as well.

January of course is still Summer Holiday time in Australia (for most, school resumes the first week in February), so the promoters want it on when people can attend. It is also a matter of where it can fit in with the rest of the UCI calendar.

As to the TV coverage, being outside OZ, i don't know what the domestic TV was like in terms of Advertising breaks, but the Live Streaming being unrestricted was a good surprise, and had very few Ads in it, likewise the Eurosport Asia coverage which was identical (except for logo) to the Stream.

As per the ninemsn.au stream. You are correct, almost no commercials but unfortunately for me, probably due to my distance from AU, the stream was cutting off quite a bit and was totally unwatchable in the last few minutes of each stage therefore I was forced to watch one of the SKY streams :cool:

Jancouver said:
Sorry mate, UniSA-Australia is not even a real cycling team and Bobridge is on Team Budget Forklifts which is NOT even a pro conti team.

TDU is the only WT event that allows national team or riders from Conti teams to participate!

WHY?

Any WT race that has a crit stage is a joke race.

Any race that has a KOM points at a flat criterium race is a JOKE ...

If it's that big of a joke, why bother watching at all ? There are no surprises in this race, it's early season, the stages are short, they have added a few more hills but most viewers know what they are in store for. The criterium stage is purely for tourism in Adelaide, everyone knows that, it never decides the race. I would like the race to add a few more stages including a TT and have a few longer and harder stages but teams like it because it's a good lead in to the rest of the season, it's fast, the weather is good and provides good preparation for Feb and March racing.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Jancouver said:
We can argue about this all day but we all know the only reason they were "strong" is because the field quality was so low.

After all, when somebody like Bobridge, who is not a climber by any mean, wins the KOM competition, you know there is something seriously wrong with the race.

Its an Australian race for Australian fans, nothing more, nothing less. Australian riders and teams won everything, every stage (but one), every competition, top 3 on GC, does that sound right to you?

Why there are not 3 Aussies on WT stage race podium in other races?

I'm just not sure why they make it mandatory for the WT teams to participate, thats all I'm saying

Moviestar won the team competition, you overlook that?

yes of course its a race for Australian fans, hence why its held in Australia :eek:

thats kind of the point

Jancouver said:
As per the ninemsn.au stream. You are correct, almost no commercials but unfortunately for me, probably due to my distance from AU, the stream was cutting off quite a bit and was totally unwatchable in the last few minutes of each stage therefore I was forced to watch one of the SKY streams :cool:

this is priceless :D

your local internet routing is probably just ****

I've watched live streams from the US in HD no problem :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Lupi33 said:
Moviestar won the team competition, you overlook that?

yes of course its a race for Australian fans, hence why its held in Australia :eek:

thats kind of the point

this is priceless :D

your local internet routing is probably just ****

I've watched live streams from the US in HD no problem :D

I agree, my internet fiber connection is just 50Mbs therefore too slow for TDU stream. Every other HD stream is working fine, just the Aussie connection is crap. But again, its Australia so no wonder they cant handle more than few viewers.

The Australia hate is hilarious.

I'm from these parts - there's a lot about Australia that is uncouth, uncultured, blunt and lacking virtue. Especially with respect to sporting patriotism.

But there is nothing as uncouth and idiotic here as constantly trolling Australia on a cycling forum....that's just poisonous drivel.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Jancouver said:
I agree, my internet fiber connection is just 50Mbs therefore too slow for TDU stream. Every other HD stream is working fine, just the Aussie connection is crap. But again, its Australia so no wonder they cant handle more than few viewers.

its your routing not your connection to your provider
I understand this is too technical for you

all the kids downloading Netflix movies getting priority, you can thank Obama for that :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Lupi33 said:
its your routing not your connection to your provider
I understand this is too technical for you

all the kids downloading Netflix movies getting priority, you can thank Obama for that :D

The routing is just fine, its the slow servers powering the video stream incapable of handling more than few connections. They are probably using some dated hardware that was dumped by one of the US companies when the dial up became too slow for US customers. :eek:

Jancouver said:

Well here in Taiwan it ran smoothly for the duration.:p

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Jancouver said:
The routing is just fine, its the slow servers powering the video stream incapable of handling more than few connections. They are probably using some dated hardware that was dumped by one of the US companies when the dial up became too slow for US customers. :eek:

:D :D

too funny. your posting style is more similar to an Aussie than a 'merikan

how many bananas you eat today champ?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hegelian said:
The Australia hate is hilarious.

I'm from these parts - there's a lot about Australia that is uncouth, uncultured, blunt and lacking virtue. Especially with respect to sporting patriotism.

But there is nothing as uncouth and idiotic here as constantly trolling Australia on a cycling forum....that's just poisonous drivel.
Yeah,I dont understand it either,its disgusting.
Lupi33 said:
:D :D

too funny. your posting style is more similar to an Aussie than a 'merikan

how many bananas you eat today champ?
he is not american.

btw congrats to Dennis,Im amazed :eek:.looking forward to see him in the rest of the season :)

TRENDING THREADS