• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 1: Puerto Banús > Marbella 7.4km TTT

¡Comienza la Vuelta a España!

The Vuelta starts in the south of Spain, in Andalucía in the very luxurious marina of Puerto Banús, a very popular place for the filthy rich people. Big yachts, expensive supercars, you name it.

The course heads 7,4km to the east, to Marbella. It's pretty much one straight road along the coast line, although it's reportedly very dangerous and narrow with the crowds standing very close to the riders.

Weather forecast says 32°C max during the day so likely a few degrees less in the evening. Southern wind 3 beaufort which the riders will barely notice because of the crowds.

PROFIL.png

etappe-1-route.jpg

Some pictures of the course:

cm2ebg3wgaa8o5s_670.jpg

cm2kw7zwuaaopzj_670.jpg

cm11gchw8aawtr0_670.jpg

Start order:

18:48 MTN-Qhubeka
18:53 Team Colombia
18:58 FDJ
19:03 LottoNL-Jumbo
19:08 AG2R La Mondiale
19:13 Cannondale-Garmin
19:18 IAM Cycling
19:23 Cofidis
19:28 Caja Rural-Seguros
19:33 Europcar
19:38 Orica-GreenEdge
19:43 Trek
19:48 Tinkoff-Saxo
19:53 Giant-Alpecin
19:58 Etixx-Quick Step
20:03 Lotto-Soudal
20:08 Lampre-Merida
20:13 BMC
20:18 Astana
20:23 Movistar
20:28 Sky
20:33 Katusha

EDIT: times will be neutralized for the individual GC. They only count for team classification.

OFFICIAL STARTLIST

Re:

Flamin said:
No idea who will win. Ridiculously short so some very unusual names might come close, like Giant (never thought I'd say that for a TTT) with Dumoulin and a strong sprint train.

It doent matter how long it is, better if no long, all the TTT are not sportive fare.

But a TTT is what is more spectacular and is what make better pictures.

The question is not sportive, it is to promote Marbella and show his beacha dn tio show people the teams that start with its riders.

I always ask for the security of cyclists, but of course, as cycling fan, I like to see an TTT like this, very espectacular.

For teams and riders if they need to study things are quite lazy... Nibali say he dondt know anything about the parcours... I think is not totally true, but a cyclist who say that doesnt deserve to win, it is part, IMO, of his job.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Flamin said:
No idea who will win. Ridiculously short so some very unusual names might come close, like Giant (never thought I'd say that for a TTT) with Dumoulin and a strong sprint train.

But you have an intelligent guess no doubt. Come on....share with us your actual GGTG stage 1 pick. :p :)

I gave a hint in my post, now it's up to you to figure out whether I gave it away or it's meant to trick you :cool: :p

Yes, a final decision concerning the moronic route has been posponed because Guillén has assured that the "albero" can be compacted for tomorrow.
However, the danger of wooded sections, the cheapiness of the parcours and the bad feelings will remain.

Lets pray to all known saints that it doesn't rain on Saturday btw. :eek:

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
If I was to predict a winner I would probably say Movistar/ or Trek. It is so dangerous and short however that some teams with GC hopes may take the course a little slower/safer than they would usually, so a surprise winner could definitely be on the cards.

Re:

Carols said:
I just hope no one gets hurt. Neutralized times won't matter to the guys with broken bones :(

I hope that for all the stages.

The better way to join Puerto Banus with Marbella is this, the other options are not interesting for me.

Cycling has to show nice places and it is spectacular an not too dangerous, not more than other things in cycling that dont show anything.

Organizers must put his part to make the route safe, they did, teams must study the parcours and took the risk they consider.

The effort in this case worth.

I have criticized Unipublic several times when I wanst agree, but is is not this time.

This is much much better that those TTT in Malaga in 2006 and to go for an industrial states. Is that what you want for cycling, Not me.

Cyclists are publicist, and thay have to show and cross the turistic places and adapt to the route.

The TT of the Giro for a bike line in San remo was espectacular and this is more.

Re:

fungusbear said:
If I was to predict a winner I would probably say Movistar. It is so dangerous and short however that some teams with GC hopes may take the course a little slower/safer than they would usually, so a surprise winner could definitely be on the cards.

I think that for tomorrow is not so important which team is going to win, but the pictures we will enjoy.
Favourite is Astana, IMO: Cataldo, Luis león, Nibali, very strong team. SKy as well. Kiry, Thomas, Froome,...
Ettix, BMC and movistar later.

But little differences (that is good)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was a marginal gain to go out and recon the course long before the start of a GT. Guess they forgot to do it this time.

I just hope Froome doesn't get badzilla from riding through that sand.

TRENDING THREADS