• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp 138k

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
This is what I like about Landa, he has no filter :D , at the Giro he openly said that the team rode the last week as hard as possible to wear Contador out, so that Nibali would have an easier job at the Tour.

Re: 2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp

Pricey_sky said:
KyoGrey said:
Landa's heart is full of sourness, bitterness and resentment against Aru and Martinelli for what happened in the Giro. Can't wait for the next edition to start, he is going to act so irrationaly and impulsively against Astana that the whole Sky-net may implode.

If he does indeed sign for Sky as expected can you imagine the motivation he has against Astana and Aru at next years Giro, armed with a team that will support him it should be a cracker.

In a dream scenario that would be Intxausti and one/both of the Izagirre bros.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Joe Dombrowski ‏@JoeDombro 3 hours ago
Cycling is cruel. Objective: breakaway and go for stage. Reality: Crash at km 0, bash knee, go full up climb 1 and catch broom wagon on top.

I was going to bash Garmin for not sending him in the breakaway, but that explains it, he still finished 15th with Quintana, I think he could have been on the podium, I don't know if he would have been able to stay with Landa but a podium would have been realistic.
Massive Colombia fail, they should have tried to get someone in the breakaway, Torres was strong enough to get a podium.
Good performance by Ian Boswell, another young talent that would probably benefit from leaving Sky...

Josh Homme said:
Landa interview (spanish).

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/grandes-vueltas/articulo/Vuelta-Espana-2015-Mikel-Landa-no-quiso-parar-ayudar-Aru-Andorra-Astana

Did you take off your earpiece?
No, but I was about to because Martinelli wanted me to stop and I didn't want to stop.

He asked you to stop?
Yes.

When?
When Fabio was already alone. I thought it was stupid. There was a 1.30 minute gap, I could win the stage and I did not think it was fair to me.

So what was your answer?
That I wasn't going to stop. He promised me that Fabio would let me win the stage... but I just didn't stop.

he's right- why on earth would he stop for Aru and risk a legendary Stage win, after what Astana did to him during Il Giro? and WTF is wrong with Martinelli with those stupid ideas?

gotta say SKY has gotten a true GEM - he'll make Brailsford's Giro title wet dream fantasy into reality :D - Landa will destroy everything in his path towards the Maglia Rosa tiltle :D

how good was Boswell today another conveyor belt of well paid well coached talent at Sky, got say I like the look of 8 man teams can only help limit the utter dominance the big teams can put down.

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Landa is awesome. I keep gaining respect for that man. Martinelli makes some really dumb decisions and it's good to see someone standing up against it.

why was asking him to wait so they could ride together a dumb decision from Martinelli?

had landa waited it would have been like this: _0_
bettiniphoto_0017173_1_full_600.jpg

S15_SW2.jpg

more epic than what happened today :p

Josh Homme said:

http://www.ciclismoafondo.es/competicion/grandes-vueltas/articulo/Vuelta-Espana-2015-Mikel-Landa-no-quiso-parar-ayudar-Aru-Andorra-Astana

No, but I was about to because Martinelli wanted me to stop and I didn't want to stop.

He asked you to stop?
Yes.

When?
When Fabio was already alone. I thought it was stupid. There was a 1.30 minute gap, I could win the stage and I did not think it was fair to me.

So what was your answer?
That I wasn't going to stop. He promised me that Fabio would let me win the stage... but I just didn't stop.
LOL.
He will feel at home at Sky.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Josh Homme said:

He asked you to stop?
Yes.

When?

So what was your answer?
LOL.
He will feel at home at Sky.
I LOL'd :D :D

Pricey_sky said:
KyoGrey said:
Landa's heart is full of sourness, bitterness and resentment against Aru and Martinelli for what happened in the Giro. Can't wait for the next edition to start, he is going to act so irrationaly and impulsively against Astana that the whole Sky-net may implode.

If he does indeed sign for Sky as expected can you imagine the motivation he has against Astana and Aru at next years Giro, armed with a team that will support him it should be a cracker.

How things are going in Astana it is more likely that he will be against Nibali in Giro.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Joe Dombrowski ‏@JoeDombro 3 hours ago
Cycling is cruel. Objective: breakaway and go for stage. Reality: Crash at km 0, bash knee, go full up climb 1 and catch broom wagon on top.

I was going to bash Garmin for not sending him in the breakaway, but that explains it, he still finished 15th with Quintana, I think he could have been on the podium, I don't know if he would have been able to stay with Landa but a podium would have been realistic.
Massive Colombia fail, they should have tried to get someone in the breakaway, Torres was strong enough to get a podium.
Good performance by Ian Boswell, another young talent that would probably benefit from leaving Sky...

He crashed and he was behind Froome when sky was chasing... it is amazing how he finished the stage :eek: :eek: . His director has a big discusion with comisaries to help him, but he needed to bend his injuries...

About these things as from Dombrowski, It is a pity you dont have all the information about what happens in the race, specially behind the peloton that provides Juan Carlos Garcia from TVE (spanish TV), vey important to be well informed. it is this man who is interviewing me at the star of 2010 Lagos de Covadonga stage.

59242_438953778838_8048952_n.jpg

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Looks like it's going to be Aru, Rodriguez, Dumoulin and Majka fighting for the podium, maybe throw a Valverde in there as well. Upcoming mountain stages are going to be interesting

Flamin said:
Josh Homme said:

He asked you to stop?
Yes.

When?

So what was your answer?

What a legend. I instantly like him more now.

I have to say, I perked up when I heard about this. Gotta love his total lack of any filter, and I can understand he doesn't exactly feel like he owes Astana much.

Boy, I cannot wait to see how he settles down at Sky. I just can't see him 'on message'.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

Astana should just kick Landa out of the race if he doesn't want to help Aru. What if Aru needs him on a climb, and Landa is ahead and refuses to go and help Aru? It's Vuelta over for Aru. So knowing that, and knowing Landa is looking out for his self interests, they lose nothing booting him out of the race.

If Landa signs for Sky, he's a dumbarse because he won't be able to ride for his own opportunities.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
it is difficult to me to see Majka fighteen for the podium.

Of course, he will do his best to win, and I am sure he will do a crazy attack and might end up paying for it (after ITT).
But realistically, podium would still be a huge success. All he really needs is Dumoulin cracking (still a possibility although he needs to gain 4 minutes on him in remaining mountain stages) or Purito not gaining any time on him in the mountain (as it is I think he will make up more than a minute in ITT).

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Sasquatch said:
Astana should just kick Landa out of the race if he doesn't want to help Aru. What if Aru needs him on a climb, and Landa is ahead and refuses to go and help Aru? It's Vuelta over for Aru. So knowing that, and knowing Landa is looking out for his self interests, they lose nothing booting him out of the race.

If Landa signs for Sky, he's a dumbarse because he won't be able to ride for his own opportunities.

Why would Astana kick out a rider who is winning them stages? Like Landa said, it would have been fairly pointless to go back to help Aru. What would have happened? He paces Aru for a km but then drops off because obviously Aru is a lot fresher and going 100% hard. It gives Aru a few extra seconds at most. Who is to say Landa wouldn't help Aru on more reasonable circumstances?

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
The Hitch said:
Hugo Koblet said:
ice&fire said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Horner,
remember
And Cobo
While Horner and Cobo's victories indeed were big surprises, they wouldn't even come close to Dumoulin winning.
Cobo's was not really that big a surprise. Plenty had him down as a favourite pre Vuelta especially after Burgos.

Horner was massive. I personaly did not think a 35+ year old person could win a gt. to do it at 42. And in that style. To get the 2nd best time ever on Angliru and totally destroy Nibali in the last 3 days.

Way bigger than Dumoilin in my opinion.

This ^^^ Horner winning was a bigger surprise than Froome's second place or than Dumoulin winning would be.

They were/are relatively young riders. However unlikely, it's not impossible to have a spectacular breakthrough year at the age of 24/25. To do it at 42, in such amazing style, is beyond all comprehension.
Sorry, but that's simply not correct. Dumoulin was 100 to 1 to even top 10 before the race. Horner doesn't come close to that.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Sasquatch said:

Why would Astana kick out a rider who is winning them stages? Like Landa said, it would have been fairly pointless to go back to help Aru. What would have happened? He paces Aru for a km but then drops off because obviously Aru is a lot fresher and going 100% hard. It gives Aru a few extra seconds at most. Who is to say Landa wouldn't help Aru on more reasonable circumstances?

Landa is leaving and has no loyalty to that team anymore
Landa is pissed off from the Giro

If Landa helped Aru on reasonable circumstances then I'll be impressed. But I don't see it happening. I would love to be proven wrong though.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think Landa was being a bad teammate at all, it's perfectly understandable (given what happened at the Giro - and how it happened) that he didn't stop and wait for Aru. And things worked out well for Astana anyways. I think Landa will help Aru on coming stages. Maybe he will try for one more stage win but as he said in the interview he will also try to help Aru.

Just because he didn't listen to Martinelli doesn't mean he will abandon Aru. People are going after Landa but it's the Astana management system that isn't working properly.

Landa actually has been pretty loyal to Aru all season long. They seem to get along quite nicely. Aru also has had some warm words for Landa after the Giro.

I doubt this call by Martinelli was in Aru's interest. He clearly has become the boss of Astana right now. Probably he even dismissed Nibali as a leader already, as we saw on stage 2.

Landa would've been an excellent luxe domestique for the upcoming cols. Yesterday he wouldn't have been much useful help for Aru anyway. That's why it was just a pure goofy move by Martinelli. Especially after the Giro.

It was disrespectful after what happened already in May. Aru always showed respect to Landa, it seems. Martinelli once again ain't got no at all. If Landa now is pissed of and fully plays his promised free-role, it's Martinelli's goofiness that cost Aru a strong helper.

Just my 2 cents.

TRENDING THREADS