• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp 138k

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Landa actually has been pretty loyal to Aru all season long. They seem to get along quite nicely. Aru also has had some warm words for Landa after the Giro.

I doubt this call by Martinelli was in Aru's interest. He clearly has become the boss of Astana right now. Probably he even dismissed Nibali as a leader already, as we saw on stage 2.

Landa would've been an excellent luxe domestique for the upcoming cols. Yesterday he wouldn't have been much useful help for Aru anyway. That's why it was just a pure goofy move by Martinelli. Especially after the Giro.

It was disrespectful after what happened already in May. Aru always showed respect to Landa, it seems. Martinelli once again ain't got no at all. If Landa now is pissed of and fully plays his promised free-role, it's Martinelli's goofiness that cost Aru a strong helper.

Just my 2 cents.

Based on interviews and what Taxus has said Landa is a sensitive guy but I'm confident that even if he isn't happy with Martinelli/vino he will not abandon Aru. I think he will work his *** off for Aru as long as he maybe gets one more chance for a stage win. But the more Martinelli tries to control Landa the more he will fight back, if Martinelli keps quiet then Landa will help Aru.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
This is what I like about Landa, he has no filter :D , at the Giro he openly said that the team rode the last week as hard as possible to wear Contador out, so that Nibali would have an easier job at the Tour.

This is why i see the problem with going at Sky amongst other factors. Can you imagine this loose canon in that uptight british team. Would be fun though :D

I can see why Martinelli called him back. I mean the overall victory is far more important than a stage win, which the team was sure to get anyway.

Conservatively, it would have helped Aru by 10 seconds to have Landa work for him.

I can also understand why Landa didn't go back. What if he buried himself and started to weaken in the final km? Aru was not going to wait when Dumoulin was going like a train further down the mountain.

Re: 2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp

In no moment has Landa said or inferred that he won't work for the team.

In fact, in the TVE interview he said that besides his stage win, he was happy for Aru getting the red and that he will help him to retain the maillot rojo all the way to Madrid.

Re:

barmaher said:
I can see why Martinelli called him back. I mean the overall victory is far more important than a stage win, which the team was sure to get anyway.

Conservatively, it would have helped Aru by 10 seconds to have Landa work for him.

I can also understand why Landa didn't go back. What if he buried himself and started to weaken in the final km? Aru was not going to wait when Dumoulin was going like a train further down the mountain.

plus the four seconds of time bonuses Landa 'stole' from him

I guess it depends when Astana called Landa back. Was it when Landa was already certain to win and Aru had dropped Purito? Or was it when Aru was still with Purito and Moreno?

If the latter, it wouldn't make sense for Landa to drop back, because he would likely get dropped by Aru/Jrod when either decided to attack and not be of much help and why risk the stage win for that?

If the first, I don't know. I'm not sure how much help Landa would be of as Aru was clearly going faster on the final kilometres. He might have been of some help but who knows.

Sasquatch said:
BrentonOfTheNorth said:
Sasquatch said:
Astana should just kick Landa out of the race if he doesn't want to help Aru. What if Aru needs him on a climb, and Landa is ahead and refuses to go and help Aru? It's Vuelta over for Aru. So knowing that, and knowing Landa is looking out for his self interests, they lose nothing booting him out of the race.

If Landa signs for Sky, he's a dumbarse because he won't be able to ride for his own opportunities.

Why would Astana kick out a rider who is winning them stages? Like Landa said, it would have been fairly pointless to go back to help Aru. What would have happened? He paces Aru for a km but then drops off because obviously Aru is a lot fresher and going 100% hard. It gives Aru a few extra seconds at most. Who is to say Landa wouldn't help Aru on more reasonable circumstances?

Landa is leaving and has no loyalty to that team anymore
Landa is pissed off from the Giro

If Landa helped Aru on reasonable circumstances then I'll be impressed. But I don't see it happening. I would love to be proven wrong though.

I don't understand what your basing your harsh allegations against Landa on?
I'm sure he would be happy to work for Aru and drop back in more reasonable circumstances. He had a perfectly good reason not to drop back yesterday; he would've sacrificed a stage win in a grand tour to help give his leader several seconds, when Aru was anyways dominating. And he is going to have to work 100% for Aru for the rest of the Giro, so this was perhaps the last stage he had any freedom.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
I guess it depends when Astana called Landa back. Was it when Landa was already certain to win and Aru had dropped Purito? Or was it when Aru was still with Purito and Moreno?

If the latter, it wouldn't make sense for Landa to drop back, because he would likely get dropped by Aru/Jrod when either decided to attack and not be of much help and why risk the stage win for that?

If the first, I don't know. I'm not sure how much help Landa would be of as Aru was clearly going faster on the final kilometres. He might have been of some help but who knows.

When Aru had dropped Purito/Moreno.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

Having Landa drop back could have helped Aru get another 30 seconds. Time matters, especially in an unpredictable race which is close. I want Aru to win this race and he missed out on getting more time on his rivals yesterday on a stage that suited him more than some of them.

Sasquatch said:
Having Landa drop back could have helped Aru get another 30 seconds. Time matters, especially in an unpredictable race which is close. I want Aru to win this race and he missed out on getting more time on his rivals yesterday on a stage that suited him more than some of them.

That is right, it could be like 30s more for Aru, if Landa would wait that 90s, he could have more power then Aru and could lead him for several km´s
but still I do not thing it is over for Aru, actually he is still biggest favourite for race win, dumoulin have few chance in my opinion, it is 3 week race and he will be worse and worse by time
only majka, rodriguez or maybe valverde can challenge Aru for victory

TRENDING THREADS