• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 5: Rota > Alcalá de Guadaíra 167.3km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JRanton said:
I think Froome deserves a few seconds given how well he rode in the last 5km. Despite the criticism of his bike handling and tactics he surfed the peloton on his own extremely well there.

Still people making fun of his bike handling and tactics? The time it could make sense are long gone. He has allready shown that he's more then average on both of them.

JRanton said:
I think Froome deserves a few seconds given how well he rode in the last 5km. Despite the criticism of his bike handling and tactics he surfed the peloton on his own extremely well there.
Looks like the 2 and 8 s gaps will remain, you can't just undo those gaps, because the jersey changed hands because of it.

Re:

Red Rick said:
How steep was it, on the profile it looked like 800m at 4% or something, how the hell are the gaps of 10s everywhere?

Seeing the last k indeed indicated that it was 10% and then flat and then 8% and flat etc.

Gaps weren't big, but there were gaps. And since the last in a group gets the same time as the first Dumoulin get red, while he had 2-3 seconds on the line.

Kwibus said:
JRanton said:

Still people making fun of his bike handling and tactics? The time it could make sense are long gone. He has allready shown that he's more then average on both of them.
Exactly, he was well aware of the possibility of gaps today, and made the most of it.

Vasilis said:
Kwibus said:
JRanton said:

Exactly, he was well aware of the possibility of gaps today, and made the most of it.

Interesting that he didn't bother positioning himself particularly well yesterday, when time gaps definitely seemed plausible, but instead chose to stay further down to save energy.
Yet today, on a much flatter finish, he really made sure he was well positioned, jumping from MTN's train when it was needed.

Result? Lost no time yesterday and gained 7 seconds today.

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
Ewan to really get amongst it, top 3 minimum. It's taken the very top sprinters (Cav, Kristoff, Kittel, Greipel) to beat him, and it's still early, so fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry but I have to disagree. All his wins have been at non-WT level with few 2nd level, let alone elite level, sprinters present. At this point, he lacks the physical strength to sustain top pace and is likely to be washed away even if he makes it to the finish.... which is far from certain.

He's had issues holding the pace of WT peletons to date & GT is another step up in pace & intensity gain; something the Yates twins found last year ..... and they were a helluva lot further developed physically than Ewan. I expect this Vuelta to be a hard, harsh learning experience ..... for as long as he's able to stay in.

In short, "he ain't ready for prime-time" ..... and I have distinct doubts whether he ever really will be as a sprinter & he's not good enough going uphill to suggest classics at this point.
Huh? This is only his third WT race this year, he crashed out of Catalunya and it took Kittel to beat him at Poland. It also took Kristoff to beat him at Norway where he got two 2nds by less than a wheel. Cav barely edged him out in Turkey and he finished ahead of Modolo, Greipel, Ratto and Bos.

Then there's the 2 firsts, 3 2nds against guardini, Chicchi, Sutton and Pettachi at Langkawi. Not bad at all for such a small kid who only turned 21 last month.

I often agree with you & respect your views but I will have to differ with you most astringently with regards to Ewan.

To answer, your points:

- Langkawi: Pettachi was once the top of the tree but that was a long time ago & the rest ..... not even 2nd tier.
- Turkey: Second to Cav - yes ...... on one stage. Nowhere for the other sprint stages.
- Poland: Kittel was the only top liner there; rest 2nd/3rd tier
- Norway: Again, Kristoff the only top liner. The rest lower tier or quick punchy riders.

Sorry but I think he's grossly over hyped, especially by Australians, and I have major doubts that he'll ever live up to most of it. Yes, he's brought in a sack of wins this year but how many of them in races that have any international credence ..... La Rioja & to a degree Langkawi.

Yes, he can be quick and MAY be capable of a high finish on a one-off basis ..... but against the big boys on a day-in/day-out basis; I have major doubts whether he'll ever be strong enough or have a big enough engine.
What was that? :D

I understand the scepticism, if this was the second week Ewan may not have made the sprint at all but at this stage of the race he's the one to beat.

Hats off to Mitch Docker, he almost lost it late when pushed into the roadside barriers but kicked back to give an excellent lead out. After a couple of seasons with serious injuries he has come back to be a key lead out man for Ewan and could be the next version of Mark Renshaw. Check out some great vision of the finish and the stage from the OGE Backstage pass at http://www.greenedgecycling.com/backstage-pass/

The on bike footage is a great innovation and it has been great to see it on Ewan's bke when he is winning races.

42x16ss said:
happytramp said:
dirkprovin has left the building.... I repeat, dirkprovin has left the building.
This kid was out sprinting the likes of Davis, Sutton, Henderson and Haussler in crits at 17yo. Even most pros can't claim that kind of thing.

Still here, wise guy ! (to HappyTramp)

All credit to him & well done. His team did a superb job getting him there.

Not sure I said that he was not incapable of a fast finish & a good result; it's the backing it up day after day at the top level where I have reasonable scepticism. Does he have the legs or the strength to really "make a move stick" or bridge across a gap; in other words is he more than just a one-trick pony ? What I saw of him last year at CG & Ride London were the catalysts for me becoming far more cautious about his future.

I'm more than familiar with his record in AUS domestic crits; very nice & impressive but carry any real weight with international team bosses ..... doubtful. I'm not that sure that many WT teams other than OGE would've been that interested in him.

Lets see how he's able to survive this Vuelta AND how his 2nd season pans out before booking his coronation ..... or his demise. I would very much like to have my doubts extinguished.