• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 6 Ponte – Roccaraso 157 km MTF

Who will win Stage 6?

• Rafal Majka

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Rigoberto Uran

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ilnur Zakarin

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 50 44.6%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Domenico Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 29 25.9%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
STAGE 6: Ponte – Roccaraso (Rif. Aremogna) 157 km MTF

Stage start: 12.50 CET, 12 May

T06_Roccaraso_alt-PRE.jpg

TNUw7tN.jpg

Technical Overview:
The first of the two MTFs of the race, quite a short stage with two serious climbs, for a change. After the first slightly ascending 35 km, including also the first intermediate sprint, the peloton hits the first GPM2 of the Giro: Bocca di Selva (18 km at 5.6%, GPM2) is a damn good climb, for a starter. A pretty technical 20 km long descent will bring the riders to the start 50 km section featuring rolling terrain, with ascending and descending false flats all over it. At roughly 34 km to go, the road starts to pick up more decisely, with 6.7 km at 4.6%, after which a short descent will bring the riders to Castel di Sangro, where the last intermediate sprint is placed. After just one more km, the final climb starts: the road to Rifugio Aremogna (16.75 km at 4.6%, GPM2) is a very irregular climb, made of two steps. The first ramp measures 5 km at 7.5%, and is followed by an false flat of 5 km, first ascending at 4% and then slightly descending, after reaching the proper town of Roccaraso. At 6.6 km to go another serious ramp begins, with almost 3 km at 7.4%. This stretch finishes at 3.8 kms to go, the first 2.8 of which are mostly flat. The final km is uphill, with increasingly higher slopes, as the final 500m have an average of 8.4%.

T06_Roccaraso_ukm-PRE.jpg

The Climbs:

Bocca di Selva GPM2
The first 2nd category of the Giro features a solid first section at 6.6%, before a weaker central stretch, followed by a short descent and the final, 6.5 km at 7.1%.
T06_S01_BoccaSelva-PRE.jpg

Rifugio Aremogna GPM2
This one features some pretty serious gradients, but they are scattered here and there. The climb is very irregular, with a few flat sections too. Aremogna has been raced in the Giro only once before, in 1976, the winner was Fabrizio Fabbri, with Gimondi in pink.
T06_S02_Aremogna-PRE.jpg

What to expect:
The first minor clash between the GC contenders, with a selected group of 10-15 riders sprinting in the last km. Of course, the breakaway also has a huge chance to take this, if the GC guys are not interested in the bonuses.

roccaraso-21.jpg

Balaverde the clear favourite. Here to hope that the likes for Amador, Visconti or maybe even Betancur can step up and help controlling the climb for Valverde and the last kilometre.

Hoping Astana goes genius tho, there are opportunities to catch some people off guard in the bottom and why not try? Fuglsang and Nibali both seems ready.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Poll added ...

Voted Landa ... just because I think this is how SKY likes to do things. Drop the hammer on first MTF and just control the race from there.

Who's quicker over an 8% final kilometre, Ulissi or Valverde? Ulissi wince beat Gerrans in Australia in an uphill sprint so he is very fast. Those two to have a couple of seconds gap over Nibali and Landa who are dropped a bit in the final 100m in the sprint. I expect a very similar stage to Montecopiolo in 2014.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Who's quicker over an 8% final kilometre, Ulissi or Valverde? Ulissi wince beat Gerrans in Australia in an uphill sprint so he is very fast. Those two to have a couple of seconds gap over Nibali and Landa who are dropped a bit in the final 100m in the sprint. I expect a very similar stage to Montecopiolo in 2014.

It seems much easier than in 2014 IMO.

I think Valverde is the quickest, but Im not really sure. Valverde has also beaten Gerrans a couple of times if memory serves. He should be the definite favourite since you never know how Ulissi climbs, but if he is there with 1 km to go, its very much into the air, 50/50, but he spent a lot yesterday, so Valverde for me.

Re:

Jancouver said:
Poll added ...

Voted Landa ... just because I think this is how SKY likes to do things. Drop the hammer on first MTF and just control the race from there.

But when was the last time they did that routine for anyone other than Wiggins/Froome? When it's not the Tour they seem to be much less well organised.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:

It seems much easier than in 2014 IMO.

I think Valverde is the quickest, but Im not really sure. Valverde has also beaten Gerrans a couple of times if memory serves. He should be the definite favourite since you never know how Ulissi climbs, but if he is there with 1 km to go, its very much into the air, 50/50, but he spent a lot yesterday, so Valverde for me.

The climb is a bit easier but it follows a similar pattern, if you include the 'Villagio del Lago' checkpoint too: stretch averaging about 7%, here it is actually 7.5%, but a couple of km shorter, then a descent, here a flat section, then a 3km section of about 7.5% (at Montecopiolo it was 7.8% and more irregular, with stretches of over 11%), then eases up for here 3k but at Montecopiolo just 500m. Then a kilometre at 8%, or 500m at 10%. The main differences are the regularity, distance of flat between last long fairly hard section and final kick up, and amount of proper steep pitches. This climb has very few, and hence is easier. Still, I expect it to play out in a similar way, just with smaller gaps. I don't expect the guy in 10th to lose like 20 seconds.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Firsanov FTW (he'll attack before the false flat and not a single one of the big guys will follow his move)!
I think that Staubsauger might be right, this one could go to the breakaway, a Cunego win could be awesome, Koshevoy could also win from the breakaway.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 6 Ponte – Roccaraso 157 km MT

Pozzovivio and Kruijswisk both seem to be on good form, and will probably try something. Astana to try and control the race, Dumoulin to make an attack on the climb; he could well stay away. Movistar need to send Amador or Betancur up the road, I think, otherwise Valverde's getting marked to extinction.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Cannibal72 said:
Pozzovivio and Kruijswisk both seem to be on good form, and will probably try something. Astana to try and control the race, Dumoulin to make an attack on the climb; he could well stay away. Movistar need to send Amador or Betancur up the road, I think, otherwise Valverde's getting marked to extinction.

Dumuolin's attack would not be allowed by the "heads of the state", Nibali and Valverde will mark that personally!

Mr.White said:
Cannibal72 said:

Dumuolin's attack would not be allowed by the "heads of the state", Nibali and Valverde will mark that personally!

nope,nibali will mark him...but once he notices valverde on his wheel,he will stop :D

TRENDING THREADS