• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No mentions of Fuglsang in this thread as far as I can see. He sais Astana aims at 2 man on the podium and he aims to be one of those, and certainly looked strong in Trentino. He has dissapointed in his lasts GTs, partly because of bad luck, but this could be his chance of a podium.

Re:

GP Blanco said:
Giant Alpecin
Nikias Arndt (GER)
Bert De Backer (BEL)
Tom Dumoulin (NED)
Chad Haga (USA)
Cheng Ji (CHN)
Tobias Ludvigsson (SWE)
Georg Preidler (AUT)
Tom Stamsnijder (NED)
Albert Timmer (NED)

Their aim is winning stages. Dumoulin for the TT's, Arndt for the sprints (although he won't have much changes to win if you look at the field), Haga, Ludvigson and Preidler can do what they want at the hilly stages.

This clearly shows Dumoulin won't target the GC looking at the team they field.

It's not like it would have been any different if he was indeed targeting the GC. They just don't have climbers.

Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Samamba said:
Lotto Soudal:

Lars Bak (Den)
Sean De Bie (Bel)
André Greipel (Dui)
Adam Hansen (Aus)
Pim Ligthart (Ned)
Maxime Monfort (Bel)
Jürgen Roelandts (Bel)
Jelle Vanendert (Bel)
Tim Wellens (Bel)

Hmm. No de Gendt.

Tour again probably (I think the only change in this years Tour for Lotto Soudal will be De Clercq as a replacement for Wellens).
I expected Vervaeke to give it a try (after he got sick last year), but apparently he's targeting the one week stageraces (Switzerland is a big goal) & Rio.

TMP402 said:
Squire said:
It's not like it would have been any different if he was indeed targeting the GC. They just don't have climbers.

ten Dam?

Well, yes, but he was signed with the promise that he could live in America, and in addition to the Tour, where he's an obvious inclusion, he'll be doing the Tour of California. But yeah, I guess if they really wanted to support Dumoulin, they could stick him in the Giro too. He doesn't seem to have huge problems doing two GTs on the trot. He can't be everywhere though. :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Samamba said:
Lotto Soudal:

Lars Bak (Den)
Sean De Bie (Bel)
André Greipel (Dui)
Adam Hansen (Aus)
Pim Ligthart (Ned)
Maxime Monfort (Bel)
Jürgen Roelandts (Bel)
Jelle Vanendert (Bel)
Tim Wellens (Bel)
Call me crazy, but I think that Tim Wellens could finish in the top 10, the hilly/medium mountain stages and the 3 TTs are good for him, even the MTT (in the brutal Monte Grappa ITT he finished in the top 10), he just has to limit the damage in the high Mountains.
If Nibali is in shape Fuglang should forget about the podium, he could still finish in the top 10 and even get a stage win if the team uses him to launch a long range attack to put pressure on Landa and his (probably) rather weak team.

Mayomaniac said:
Samamba said:
Lotto Soudal:

Lars Bak (Den)
Sean De Bie (Bel)
André Greipel (Dui)
Adam Hansen (Aus)
Pim Ligthart (Ned)
Maxime Monfort (Bel)
Jürgen Roelandts (Bel)
Jelle Vanendert (Bel)
Tim Wellens (Bel)
Call me crazy, but I think that Tim Wellens could finish in the top 10, the hilly/medium mountain stages and the 3 TTs are good for him, even the MTT (in the brutal Monte Grappa ITT he finished in the top 10), he just has to limit the damage in the high Mountains.
If Nibali is in shape Fuglang should forget about the podium, he could still finish in the top 10 and even get a stage win if the team uses him to launch a long range attack to put pressure on Landa and his (probably) rather weak team.

If Tim Wellens tries for the GC then cycling is officially ***

Red Rick said:
Mayomaniac said:
Samamba said:
Lotto Soudal:

Lars Bak (Den)
Sean De Bie (Bel)
André Greipel (Dui)
Adam Hansen (Aus)
Pim Ligthart (Ned)
Maxime Monfort (Bel)
Jürgen Roelandts (Bel)
Jelle Vanendert (Bel)
Tim Wellens (Bel)

If Tim Wellens tries for the GC then cycling is officially ****

Don't worry, he won't try. Like Lexman said, he'll try to win some stages. Monfort is Lotto's GC guy, but we all know he isn't going to be top-10 at the end.

Re:

Breh said:
What are these guys bringing to the table? Do they have a GC guy or a sprinter?

57858351.jpg

Firsanov will podium the Giro.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

liamito said:
Rein Taaramäe ‏@ReinTaarame
Happy with my own performance today. But i am not eaven close to top condition jet, all is calculated for last part of giro! very confident!

Does Rein have the same calculators as Zaka :confused:

They're both coming as leaders yes, nothing wrong with that, Katusha doesn't have to do any work they'll just ride for themselves.

TRENDING THREADS