• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
BigMac said:
SafeBet said:
He's got Ferrari as a leadout. He's not a top tier sprint so you can't dedicate a full train to him.
For once, I think Lampre's team makes sense. Lots of stage hunters plus Niemec for a possible top10 in GC.

I think it's a total mess, you can't really tell the purpose. They're not backing Niemiec for GC and they're not well comited to Sacha as he'll be left only with Ferrari who's not that special a leadout anyway, even worse if compared to Ariel whom they had last year. This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.
I agree with SafeBet here. Had Lampre had the best sprinter or a potential podium candidate in the GC, they should obviously back that one rider.

But Niemiec should be happy with a top 15 in GC and Modolo has to fight against Kittel, Greipel, Viviani, Demare, Ewan and Nizzolo.

Lampre can't afford to put all their eggs in one basket. They have to do it they way they do and perhaps they'll end up with a top 15 in GC and a stage or two.
Today there's an interview with Saronni in La Gazzetta, they won't go for gc, it will be sprints and stagehunting.
About Dani Martinez, yeah riding a gt right now is probably to soon, sending him to the Tour of Qinghai Lake (13 stages) or letting him race Tour of Hainan and Tour of Taihu Lake (both consist of 9 stages) back to back to simulate the wear and tear of a gt like they did with Mareczko would have been a better option.

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
BigMac said:
This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.
Isn't "a bit of everything" logical approach for a team that has some decent riders of various specialities, but not a single rider who is one of the very best in his own?

Even the best possible support doesn't make Modolo likely to win stages against Kittel, Greipel, Demare and Viviani. And Niemiec would be even bigger surprise if he managed to finish top5 overall. He is 36 and the last and only time he finished inside top10 of a GT was 3 years ago.

Usually the second tier Italian sprinters win a stage or two at the Giro.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

ingemann1996 said:
Any news on Nippo? Hope they'll bring Colli to make up for his horror crash
Sorry, no Colli.
http://www.nippovinifantini.com/det_news.php?id=608&ANAR=
DAMIANO CUNEGO
GREGA BOLE
GIACOMO BERLATO
GENKI YAMAMOTO
IURI FILOSI
GIANFRANCO ZILIOLI
ALESSANDRO BISOLTI
EDUARD GROSU
RICCARDO STACCHIOTTI
According to Stefano Giuliani the Tour of Japan is also very important for the team (and the sponsors), so they wanted to have two decent teams, so Colli will probably fight for stage wins in Japan.

I'm no fan of Hesjedal but his team for the Giro is beyond ridiculous. I know he doesn't use a train on the mountains but sending Didier and Zoidl as mountain support is just a disgrace and lack of respect to a former winner of the race, with all the respect to those two riders who are very decent domestiques but no high mountains climbers.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
trevim said:
I'm no fan of Hesjedal but his team for the Giro is beyond ridiculous. I know he doesn't use a train on the mountains but sending Didier and Zoidl as mountain support is just a disgrace and lack of respect to a former winner of the race, with all the respect to those two riders who are very decent domestiques but no high mountains climbers.
Zoidl is pretty solid but yeah, it's a joke, Trek are giving their best gt rider little to no support for the high mountains.

Mayomaniac said:
trevim said:
Zoidl is pretty solid but yeah, it's a joke, Trek are giving their best gt rider little to no support for the high mountains.
Trek doesn't have a lot of climbers but at least Zubeldia or Schleck should be riding this even if they're riding in July too. Stetina is probably aiming for 8th in California so he gets a pass by me :D

Re:

staubsauger said:
Ain't Schleck injured?

Sky's 9th man seems to be a pure mystery. There ain't no single hint whether they shift Kennaugh or Nieve or fill the team with Moscon or Nordhaug.

My bet would be Moscon, though.
I think so but still they should give some sort of climber to Hesjedal.

Moscon seems to be riding a bit to much to go into the Giro as well, he already has like 30 days of racing. I wouldn't put him in his first GT after this.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
For his personal development, I'd rather the tractor built up stamina + recovery in stage races before his first GT. He'd probably offer more than Kennaugh or Nordhaug, though. Nieve's a good bet.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
trevim said:

They know he will have a hard time to even crack top 10 so why wasting any talent on this past due guy? If anything, he should be going for KOM or stage hunting via breaks once he is 30 min down after the first hard stage.

trevim said:

Hesjedal DNF Romandie today. Don't know if that was always the plan or if he's injured.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Ain't Schleck injured?

Sky's 9th man seems to be a pure mystery. There ain't no single hint whether they shift Kennaugh or Nieve or fill the team with Moscon or Nordhaug.

My bet would be Moscon, though.

Kennaugh is just back from illness so I can't see him being selected. Maybe Nieve gets the late call up but if not then just make sure Kiryienka is in the team. He'll be valuable to keeping Landa out of trouble throughout the race and on a good day, in bad weather, he can even be useful in the high mountains.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Trek-Segafredo for the Giro d’Italia:
Fabian Cancellara :eek:
Giacomo Nizzolo,
Ryder Hesjedal,
Riccardo Zoidl,
Jack Bobridge,
Boy Van Poppel,
Eugenio Alafaci,
Marco Coledan
Laurent Didier

Wow, sponsor money can do magic ... well, unlikely he will finish, but he will be there to promote Segafredo. My guess, he will drop out after the stage 15 ITT

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
Trek-Segafredo for the Giro d’Italia:
Fabian Cancellara :eek:
Giacomo Nizzolo,
Ryder Hesjedal,
Riccardo Zoidl,
Jack Bobridge,
Boy Van Poppel,
Eugenio Alafaci,
Marco Coledan
Laurent Didier

Wow, sponsor money can do magic ... well, unlikely he will finish, but he will be there to promote Segafredo. My guess, he will drop out after the stage 15 ITT

Could be sponsor money - but it could also be that they've given Cancellara "free reign" for his last season! The last few years they more or less forced him to do the Tour from what I understand, so maybe this year it was his wish to return to the Giro. In any case it is a nice occurrence!

Trek is actually bringing a decent team this year! Cancellara of course is in a league of his own (compared to the rest of his team), but Zoidl has also shown that he is in good form, Hesjedal not so much but who knows he could still go for a stage. Bobridge hasn't shown anything since the first race of the season but could also go in some breakaways. Nizzolo of course is sure to get some podium finishes and can maybe rack up the points again to be on the podium in the end. Odds are against him winning anything even though I'd be happy if he finally did win a stage. Finally, Boy van Poppel and Didier are some of Trek's best domestiques IMO.

TRENDING THREADS