• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Breh said:
He did Romandie to work on his condition for the giro. Would be very surprising if he doesn't atleast make the 2nd rest day. Besides the pretty strong sprinting field, I'm pretty sure they are aiming for multiple stagewins.
THis time he'll probably touch Italian soil, but he'll leave after the the ITT (or even right before it), Greipel will probably do the same.

Re:

CTQ said:
Sebastian Henao said that the Giro wasn't in his plan this year but the Vuelta but Benat and Konig not able to ride weren't in the plans of Team Sky.
Maybe with Nieve in the Giro now, he is out of the Giro
http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/sebastian-henao-en-sky-todo-es-a-la-perfeccion/

That interview was a long time ago.

But, given his equipment here, I think he's in Colombia, so I guess no Giro.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE3ra0ZB0Iy/?taken-by=sebashenaogomez

Maybe sticking with his cousin plan from last year and going to California?

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Anderis said:
BigMac said:
This ''a bit of everything'' mentality really bothers me.
Isn't "a bit of everything" logical approach for a team that has some decent riders of various specialities, but not a single rider who is one of the very best in his own?

Even the best possible support doesn't make Modolo likely to win stages against Kittel, Greipel, Demare and Viviani. And Niemiec would be even bigger surprise if he managed to finish top5 overall. He is 36 and the last and only time he finished inside top10 of a GT was 3 years ago.

Usually the second tier Italian sprinters win a stage or two at the Giro.

Plus Modolo, barring accidents/illness, is much more likely to make it to the final day than Kittel, Ewan, and possibly even Greipel. I think it very likely Modolo bags at least one stage win.

Orbit501 said:
yaco said:
Anderis said:
BigMac said:
Isn't "a bit of everything" logical approach for a team that has some decent riders of various specialities, but not a single rider who is one of the very best in his own?

Even the best possible support doesn't make Modolo likely to win stages against Kittel, Greipel, Demare and Viviani. And Niemiec would be even bigger surprise if he managed to finish top5 overall. He is 36 and the last and only time he finished inside top10 of a GT was 3 years ago.

Plus Modolo, barring accidents/illness, is much more likely to make it to the final day than Kittel, Ewan, and possibly even Greipel. I think it very likely Modolo bags at least one stage win.

Do you see Mareczko bagging a win?

Ricco' said:
CTQ said:
Sebastian Henao said that the Giro wasn't in his plan this year but the Vuelta but Benat and Konig not able to ride weren't in the plans of Team Sky.
Maybe with Nieve in the Giro now, he is out of the Giro
http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/sebastian-henao-en-sky-todo-es-a-la-perfeccion/

That interview was a long time ago.

But, given his equipment here, I think he's in Colombia, so I guess no Giro.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE3ra0ZB0Iy/?taken-by=sebashenaogomez

Maybe sticking with his cousin plan from last year and going to California?
I don't think that it is Colombia. Look at the background. There is only one place with snow in Colombia and that is not it.

trevim said:
valentius borealis said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, came up on my facebook feed about an hour ago.

Orica GreenEDGE:
Sam Bewley(NZL)
Esteban Chaves(COL)
Caleb Ewan(AUS)
Michael Hepburn(AUS)
Damien Howson(AUS)
Luka Mezgec(SLO)
Ruben Plaza(ESP)
Svein Tuft(CAN)
Amets Txurruka(ESP)
I'm interested to see how much Howson developed. Unlike Hepburn and Durbridge, he has been posting some quiet but solid results in some climbs.

Howson is a different type than both Hepburn and Durbridge, Howson certainly has the capabilities to become a capable/dependable climber unlike Hepburn who looks like he can handle hills but nothing more and Durbridge was never going to be a rider for the climbs but is much more suited to the cobbled races and TT/workhorse

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
therealthing said:
Sky roster just confirmed on Twitter:

Landa
Nieve
Lopez
Roche
Seb. Henao
Knees
Deignan
Viviani
Boswell

Not too bad a team actually, and at least Landa will have Nieve now as his last man in the mountains.
That's a good team, Nieve is a great last man and Sebastian Henao could be great in the 3rd week. Deignan, Boswell and Roche should be there on the hilly/medim mountain stages and work early on in the high mountains.

Mayomaniac said:
therealthing said:

Landa
Nieve
Lopez
Roche
Seb. Henao
Knees
Deignan
Viviani
Boswell

Not too bad a team actually, and at least Landa will have Nieve now as his last man in the mountains.
That's a good team, Nieve is a great last man and Sebastian Henao could be great in the 3rd week. Deignan, Boswell and Roche should be there on the hilly/medim mountain stages and work early on in the high mountains.

Yes, Deignan, Boswell and Roche can do a lot of work While Nieve and Seb Henao should both be there in the last 20 guys.

Breh said:
Orbit501 said:
yaco said:
Anderis said:
BigMac said:

Do you see Mareczko bagging a win?

Possibly. Who knows? He's had some good results but a step up in class here.

therealthing said:

Landa
Nieve
Lopez
Roche
Seb. Henao
Knees
Deignan
Viviani
Boswell

Kiryienka is a curious omission. Hasn't raced since Pais-Vasco and normally he would definitely ride the Ardennes so I guess either illness or the vampires got him.

pastronef said:
therealthing said:

Landa
Nieve
Lopez
Roche
Seb. Henao
Knees
Deignan
Viviani
Boswell

for the second year in a row, Nieve gets the last minute call for the Giro

Yup, although Nieve (and Roche) are actually two riders who have proven they can ride two grand tours in a row well in the past so he still has a chance of making the Tour squad. Much depends on the status of Sergio Henao, Konig and Intxausti by July.

StryderHells said:
trevim said:
valentius borealis said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, came up on my facebook feed about an hour ago.

Orica GreenEDGE:
Sam Bewley(NZL)
Esteban Chaves(COL)
Caleb Ewan(AUS)
Michael Hepburn(AUS)
Damien Howson(AUS)
Luka Mezgec(SLO)
Ruben Plaza(ESP)
Svein Tuft(CAN)
Amets Txurruka(ESP)
I'm interested to see how much Howson developed. Unlike Hepburn and Durbridge, he has been posting some quiet but solid results in some climbs.

Howson is a different type than both Hepburn and Durbridge, Howson certainly has the capabilities to become a capable/dependable climber unlike Hepburn who looks like he can handle hills but nothing more and Durbridge was never going to be a rider for the climbs but is much more suited to the cobbled races and TT/workhorse

The absence of a TTT certainly means that one of their usual Giro stage opportunities is out the window. Not real sure they'll be going "all out" with Chaves as there's too much ITT for him. Suspect he'll be more a factor at the Vuelta so I suspect they'll see whether he loses too much time then just look at stage hunting. With Ewan it will most likely be a case of see if he can snag a stage early then drag him after Stage 8 as he'll almost certainly be HD'd on the first reasonable mountain stage.

TRENDING THREADS