• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Liège Bastogne Liège, April 24th, WT 253 km

This sunday we'll have Liège Bastogne Liège.

Who will succeed Valverde this year?

Info on the route is available here :
http://www.letour.fr/liege-bastogne-liege/2016/us/race.html

PROFIL.png

Km 78.5 - Côte de La Roche-en Ardenne2.8 kilometre-long climb at 6.2%
Km 125.0 - Côte de Saint-Roch1 kilometre-long climb at 11.2%
Km 168.5 - Côte de Wanne2.8 kilometre-long climb at 7.4%
Km 179.0 - Côte de la Haute-Levée3.6 kilometre-long climb at 5.6%
Km 192.0 - Col du Rosier4.4 kilometre-long climb at 5.9%
Km 204.5 - Col du Maquisard2 kilometre-long climb at 5%
Km 216.5 - Côte de La Redoute2 kilometre-long climb at 8.9%
Km 232.5 - Côte de La Roche-aux-Faucons1.3 kilometre-long climb at 11%
Km 246.5 - Côte de Saint-Nicolas1.2 kilometre-long climb at 8.6%
Km 250.5 - Côte de la Rue Naniot0.6 kilometre-long climb at 10.5%

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_3.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_4.png

BUT maybe the best news for the race : we might have some bad weather coming up, even snow?

https://www.facebook.com/NoodweerBenelux/photos/a.373346252738178.85657.373327649406705/1073012556104874/?type=3&theater

Northpole air is coming from the Northsea into Belgium and the chance exists wet snow will fall...Anyway temperature at the morning will be around 3° Celsius and max 7°, so it will be a cold day on the bike with a North Western wind and with a chance of 80 % of rain, and maybe snow??

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
Tim Wellens.

No, I'm not spamming his name in every race thread of every race he enters just 'cos.

If Wellens wins, then we can be sure it was a good race. At least with a good finale.
Meh, with Wellens the question is less "Will he get caught?" and more "When will he get caught?".

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
BigMac said:
Tim Wellens.

No, I'm not spamming his name in every race thread of every race he enters just 'cos.

If Wellens wins, then we can be sure it was a good race. At least with a good finale.
Meh, with Wellens the question is less "Will he get caught?" and more "When will he get caught?".

I agree, as Red Rick joked upthread. Liége is harder though and there will be less domestiques by the time he usually attacks. Maybe he can pull another Montréal (hence I also mentioned Adam Yates).

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
You guys can dismiss Wellens all you want, but the thing is, back in the day people who attacked when he does wouldn't actually have to go at it alone.
Indeed, his only classics win came after a breakaway with another rider.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The weather could really make this race interesting, Valverde doesnt perform super well in the cold. I say an outsider wins it, preferably Wellens who is in monster shape.
Are they bringing Betancur as a back-up? :D

Re: Liège Bastogne Liège, April 24th, WT 253 km

Dont underestimate Wellens, he was extremely strong in AGR (just compare his attack to Kreuziger's) and I think its very likely he would have won the race if he hadn't attack earlier. In a harder race like LBL he surely is one of the favorites.

nah this time wellens wins because everybody will think "its just wellens,he always gets caught" and they will look at each other,after the race orica will let us know they were the strongest but nobody pulled for them,sky will try to race hard only to realize they dont have a leader in the final group,valverde second outsprinting martin to the line after his chain skips with 100m to go

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Can't wait for the "I was super strong and everyone else was super weak but no one would tow me to 300 metres from the line" post-race speech.