• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 6: Arpajon-sur-Cère → Montauban (191km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
At etixx Cav hasn't been that fast, especially in 2014 and 2015. But now he really seems back, back on track on breaking the record for the most stage wins.

Assuming he won't stay in this Tour to the end (which would be uncharacteristic for him, but the Olympics seem to be really important to him personally), he would still need at least two more really good years or one great one, we will see.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:
MacBAir said:
El Pistolero said:
Now the real Tour and real cyclists can entertain us, let the little boys ride in the grupetto.
Actually the big boys will ride the in the grupetto.

None of the sprinters are big boys, literally and figuratively. They hardly have the physique of Usain Bolt.
What? Then who's the big boy that was ridding at the back and will ride at the front, now? Who are those real, big boy, cyclists?

The one's who actually ride with their face in the wind for longer than 6 seconds.

spalco said:
Red Rick said:
At etixx Cav hasn't been that fast, especially in 2014 and 2015. But now he really seems back, back on track on breaking the record for the most stage wins.

Assuming he won't stay in this Tour to the end (which would be uncharacteristic for him, but the Olympics seem to be really important to him personally), he would still need at least two more really good years or one great one, we will see.

I find the Olympic track focus extremely annoying. Cavendish is from a country that's overflowing with cycling nobodies with a track medal or two.

spalco said:
Red Rick said:

Cav already said that he'll finish the Tour.

StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:
StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:
Stage 1, 3,4 and 6 of this tour have been awful.
I'm used to trasional sprint stages. But it's not like the grand depart was decent either and weve had to transition from there!.

Stages 1 and 2 were far too protected to ever be seriously affected by crosswinds.

Disappointing tour apart from the last few km of each stage so far.

No one is forcing you to watch

This has been the worst 1st week of a GT for years! I love cycling but even i am bored by the dreadful racing we have seen.

We've seen even the teams aren't bothered about getting in the break

Well personally I find the Tour the least interesting of the 3 GT's so it feels about right to me, I do agree with other posters that a good length TT would of been nice in the opening week.

TT's in themselves are boring watching a rider performing against the clock - A TT would not have livened the race up.

Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Alexandre B. said:
There's apparently a one-second gap between GC contenders and Contador. :p
I highly doubt there was only 1 second between Guarnieri in 19th and Pibernik in 60th.

I thought the same, considering there needed to be a whole second gap between 1 rider and the next that means 40 riders crossed the line at exactly the same time. :confused:
All riders from Guarnieri down to 100-somethingth are now listed as +4s. Not that that second would matter :p

spalco said:
Red Rick said:

I think he withdrew the last time he had a shot at a track medal, 08.

LaFlorecita said:
Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Alexandre B. said:
There's apparently a one-second gap between GC contenders and Contador. :p
I highly doubt there was only 1 second between Guarnieri in 19th and Pibernik in 60th.

I thought the same, considering there needed to be a whole second gap between 1 rider and the next that means 40 riders crossed the line at exactly the same time. :confused:
All riders from Guarnieri down to 100-somethingth are now listed as +4s. Not that that second would matter :p

That makes more sense!

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:
StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:
I'm used to trasional sprint stages. But it's not like the grand depart was decent either and weve had to transition from there!.

Stages 1 and 2 were far too protected to ever be seriously affected by crosswinds.

This has been the worst 1st week of a GT for years! I love cycling but even i am bored by the dreadful racing we have seen.

Well personally I find the Tour the least interesting of the 3 GT's so it feels about right to me, I do agree with other posters that a good length TT would of been nice in the opening week.

TT's in themselves are boring watching a rider performing against the clock - A TT would not have livened the race up.

Eh? The whole point of a TT is to create time differences which force people to start racing, albeit the following day.

Zinoviev Letter said:
spalco said:
Red Rick said:

I find the Olympic track focus extremely annoying. Cavendish is from a country that's overflowing with cycling nobodies with a track medal or two.

One could say that is why he wants an Olympic medal, because his lack of one while a lot of other lesser riders have one shames him. You kind of answer your own question. You could also say: he was the best of his own generation, he's now beating the guys who came after, like Kittel, and at the Olympics he has a chance to beat Gaviria.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:
StryderHells said:
Oliwright said:

I actually like TTs a lot. To me they are interesting.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Remember in 2009 when crosswinds split the peloton, and Contador lost time to his team rival, Armstrong?

If the chips are down, they'll race.

Re:

yaco said:
A TT would have achieved little when you consider the profile of the first week - GC teams will not attack on flat stages but wait for hillier terrain. Thank God we've gone away from GT's which had around 180 kms of TTing.

Best tour in last 10 years (2007) had 120 kms of TTing, on the other hand the worst GT in recent memory (2012 Giro) had pretty much zero TT kms until final stage. More TT kms does not equal to worse racing, in fact you need proper TT kms to make sure that climbers would have more incentive to attack.

TMP402 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
spalco said:
Red Rick said:

One could say that is why he wants an Olympic medal, because his lack of one while a lot of other lesser riders have one shames him. You kind of answer your own question. You could also say: he was the best of his own generation, he's now beating the guys who came after, like Kittel, and at the Olympics he has a chance to beat Gaviria.

I'd suggest that it's mostly a marketing decision, based on his endorsement potential and post-cycling fame in a country where the general public absurdly overestimate the significance of track medals.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I'd suggest that it's mostly a marketing decision, based on his endorsement potential and post-cycling fame in a country where the general public absurdly overestimate the significance of track medals.

Arguably, most cycling fans absurdly underestimate the importance of Olympic track medals. :p

But it'll be difficult to prise him away from the tour on this form.

TRENDING THREADS