• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 9: Vielha → Andorra Arcalis (185km)

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
First time in his GC days that Froome is unable to drop the hammer in the first Tour summit finish.

Well it was a multiple mountain stage. Froome will be looking to Ventoux and both time trials to get his time. Today was a Quintana stage.

Re:

GJB123 said:
Quintana looked imperious, all the more puzzling he didn't try anything. Froome definitely less strong uphill than last year (at least for the first MTF). He couldn't shed the likes of Martin, Porte and Yates (let alone Quintana), that is telling.
I thought he looked bad. His face looked very pale and tired. I guess it was just me noticing this.

Re: Re:

dacooley said:
you are putting it like quintana being by far the strongest climber in third week is something 200% guaranteed.
Nothing is obviously guaranteed - but based on historic performances it seems pretty likely. If you would offer Quintana a 30 second deficit going into the last week, I bet he would be more than happy to take that.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

huge said:
arvc40 said:
Quintana is waiting. He has Froomes measure. Froome knows it.

And how that is supposed to be a smart move, someone please explain it to me!

If he is feeling strong, what's the point not to try and attack?
It's not like if he had tried today, he wouldn't have had any energy left for the third week.
There is not even a single reason that makes his decision not to attack today a good decision. Very very poor cycling.

Definitely agree with whom is hoping him not to get a podium spot. Disgrace!

Blimey ! Harsh !. I wish him well

Gigs_98 said:
More Strides than Rides said:
Gigs_98 said:
IMO both Quintana and Porte rode absolutely disgracefully today. Quintana didn't attack one single time, and Porte (although he attacked earlier on the climb) just pulled the group without even trying to drop anyone although, or because, his teammate was in troubles.

Porte may have been trying to solidify the team roles, making it clear to Tejay that he is now the strongest and will need his support later.
It was absoultely obvious he was stronger than Tejay, but pulling Froome and Quintana so his teammate looses time is just a disgrace. Porte himself knows that he often has a bad day and he knows that he is already far back in gc. What if he looses minutes in the alps but his teammate is out of contention because he pulled other riders to the finish.

It was blindingly obvious the race is not Froome, Quintana vs Tejay. TJVG couldn't even stay with the 2nd group.

Porte is now in a better position to finish on the podium.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

deValtos said:
Alexandre B. said:
First time in his GC days that Froome is unable to drop the hammer in the first Tour summit finish.

Well it was a multiple mountain stage. Froome will be looking to Ventoux and both time trials to get his time. Today was a Quintana stage.

Comparing TT's ridden by both lately, Froome is gonna gain *** all.

Quintana stages are in last week, not the end of first.

Chapeau Big Tom D., great ride!

GC battle very animated by all except Nairito. Would have been nice to see him take a dig!!!! Yates!, Martin, Mollema nice rides. Richie forgets he is no longer on Sky. Froome will get tired covering everything himself. Well at least one can hope :)

DFA123 said:
Last 5km average about 6% - too gentle for Quintana. He needed to get away earlier and go long from Beixalis - which was presumably why he had men in the break. But Sky train was too strong at that point, so he sensibly changed plan. He easily looked the strongest rider at the end there - would be amazed if he doesn't win this race.

I disagree with that theory.

If Quintana actually was strong, why not at least give it a push in the last km and take a couple seconds just for show and to get into Froome's head?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

huge said:
arvc40 said:
Quintana is waiting. He has Froomes measure. Froome knows it.

And how that is supposed to be a smart move, someone please explain it to me!

If he is feeling strong, what's the point not to try and attack?
It's not like if he had tried today, he wouldn't have had any energy left for the third week.
There is not even a single reason that makes his decision not to attack today a good decision. Very very poor cycling.

Definitely agree with whom is hoping him not to get a podium spot. Disgrace!

now this is why we are all missing contador. He won't be status quo like Quintana.

I am not sure if I agree with people saying that Quintana was saving energy. I think if he had the energy he would have taken the opportunity. At least in the last few kilometers like he usually does. Did not even try means something else. Especially with a rest day tomorrow. I guess the mountains from Andorra do not bring him good luck.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

huge said:
Punkan said:
Quintana will win the tour. He will attack hard in the 3rd week and make Froome look silly. And then todays boring ride will be forgotten. Quintana just saves energy so he can unleash harder later (and when the slopes are steeper).

Total non sense.

An attack in the last 3-4kms today wouldn't have had any impact in his form for the coming hard stages! He is just a coward.

Not to mention the fact that everyone else would have been forced to work as hard.

Nah, he just has another tactic than the one you want him to have. His attacks will come, for sure, and when the slopes are steeper. Attacking and trying to ride away from Froome when the gradient is 6-7% is almost impossible, therefore just chill behind Froome and let him chase down the attacks.

spalco said:
DFA123 said:
Last 5km average about 6% - too gentle for Quintana. He needed to get away earlier and go long from Beixalis - which was presumably why he had men in the break. But Sky train was too strong at that point, so he sensibly changed plan. He easily looked the strongest rider at the end there - would be amazed if he doesn't win this race.

I disagree with that theory.

If Quintana actually was strong, why not at least give it a push in the last km and take a couple seconds just for show and to get into Froome's head?
I agree with you. Not even try to out sprint the others in the last kilometer like he usually does. In every MTF at last year he tried something. He was on the limit.