• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 9: Vielha → Andorra Arcalis (185km)

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mayo from Mayo said:
Was the KOM point at the finish ?200m before the finish today? Thought I'd heard one GB commentator say that and when Dumoulin got to the 1k banner there appeared to be a KOM marker a bit before this.

Yep, happens quite often (Alp duez, etc) I believe its down to sponsorship of the different comps

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
From jens' website:

http://www.climbing-records.com/2016/07/hail-storm-slows-down-riders-on-arcalis.html

2016:10,0 km@7,0%---26:42---average speed 22.47 km/h(A.Yates-Froome-Quintana-Porte-D.Martin)
---29:40---average speed 20.22 km/h(Tom Dumoulin)
2009:10,0 km@7,0%---26:53---average speed 22.32 km/h(Alberto Contador)
---29:30---average speed 20.34 km/h(Brice Feillu)
2007:10,0 km@7,0%---27:08---average speed 22.11 km/h(Menchov-Evans-S.Sanchez-Beltran-Sastre-V.Efimkin-Piepoli)
2005:10,0 km@7,0%---26:30---average speed 22.64 km/h(Mancebo-Heras-Menchov)
2000:10,0 km@7,0%---26:14---average speed 22.87 km/h(Roberto Heras)
---26:49---average speed 22.37 km/h(Manolo Beltran)
---27:06---average speed 22.14 km/h(Pavel Tonkov)
---27:34---average speed 21.77 km/h(Roberto Laiseka)

Also:
1997:10,0 km@7,0%---24:55---average speed 24.08 km/h(Jan Ullrich)-RECORD
:p :p

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
yaco said:
Think that Quintana is just going - Doubt he will drop any serious time in a stage - Then again he is capable of having one big day in the mountains.

No surprise the three best climbers Froome, Quintana and Porte finished together.

Yates, Froome & Quintana finished together. Yates sprint saw Porte drop a couple more seconds.

I'd hardly worry about one or two seconds - There were five riders at the finish Froome,Quintana,A.Yates, Porte and D.Martin.

I finally lost faith in Porte's ability to last 3 weeks last year. But BMC would not have made Porte and Tejay equal team leaders if they didn't believe Richie had the ability to not have his one bad day to put him out of contention. As long as he's strong he should push for whatever he can - like staying with Froome and Quintana. Porte did exceptionally well - I didn't think he had that in him. Easily the strongest stage ride I have seen from him. Certainly better than 2013 AX3 when he sacrificed himself for Froome.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
From jens' website:

http://www.climbing-records.com/2016/07/hail-storm-slows-down-riders-on-arcalis.html

2016:10,0 km@7,0%---26:42---average speed 22.47 km/h(A.Yates-Froome-Quintana-Porte-D.Martin)
2007:10,0 km@7,0%---27:08---average speed 22.11 km/h(Menchov-Evans-S.Sanchez-Beltran-Sastre-V.Efimkin-Piepoli)

Also:

I smell an incredibly fast Ventoux time

Re:

SeriousSam said:
From jens' website:

Also:
So Jan Ullrich would have put 1:47 on everyone today!! :p

Rainy conditions affected the times today anyway.

When the break got away, I thought that Tommy D might have a chance, since the last 20km were just a power grind. But congratulations anyway. At least the weather was epic. I guessed that Nairo would put his hopes on the final week. Either he wasn't feeling great today (who can tell?), or his waiting game might rebound on him (week 2 seems to favour the Preying Mantis). I'm guessing that Movistar were playing the option of Nairo attacking on the penultimate climb and his teammates waiting, but with Sky being as strong as they were, that wasn't an option.

Fergoose said:
Escarabajo said:
BTW, why is Sky changing their tactics and sending Henao on the attack instead of setting tempo until they are completely deflated?

It is strange. I guess it's a way to see if any of Froome's rivals are really struggling without him having of launch an attack. Where the tactic fails is that Froome chased Henao down as soon as Martin had joined Henao. Froome should just ride tempo, stare at Nairo and ask him what he is going to do about it.

While this is probably accurate, I like to think that the real reason is that the Sky team car is just trolling every other team.

Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
Dan Martin: 'I like to attack and fight for the win even if this means getting dropped'... does Quintana understand this concept? ok, i know it´s easy to say when you dont have that much to loose, but still... not even 1 stinky dig....
Tomorrow a top 10 (he used to be a top 20 until this year) guy will say I'll fight for the win even if I get drop!! gosh that's a no brainer if you know you don't much chance to win. I know Quintana should have attacked if he had the strength to do it but it is not the same. Don't you see all those French riders attacking all the time in every Tour regardless of their chances?

Escarabajo said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Dan Martin: 'I like to attack and fight for the win even if this means getting dropped'... does Quintana understand this concept? ok, i know it´s easy to say when you dont have that much to loose, but still... not even 1 stinky dig....
Tomorrow a top 10 (he used to be a top 20 until this year) guy will say I'll fight for the win even if I get drop!! gosh that's a no brainer if you know you don't much chance to win. I know Quintana should have attacked if he had the strength to do it but it is not the same. Don't you see all those French riders attacking all the time in every Tour regardless of their chances?

If only top 10 guys in the Tour actually did have this attitude as a matter of course. The sad thing is that they don't, because minor placings are so valuable to your career. They guarantee a nice contract with good money and some opportunities to race for yourself and generally a good place in the professional sport. It should be a "no brainer" but it isn't.

Martin of course has something of a privileged place from which to adopt such an attitude. His well paid role in the sport isn't dependent on his GT GC results. If he gets a good GC result it's basically a bonus for teams that sign him to win hilly classics and to purito some uphill finishes. His position as a leader at Etixx is basically unaffected if he blows up and loses fifteen minutes. But he got to that privileged place by choosing to concentrate on trying to win races he can actually win rather than focusing his year on grimly holding on for the highest GT GC results he can get. He could easily have gone down the latter route like so many others and been yet another boring rider, who focuses on races he can't win and anonymously gets the highest placing available.

You are right of course that Nairo has much more to lose. He is too conservative, but he would not be well advised to start racing like Dan Martin. There is an excluded middle. A fairer comparison is not with Quintana but with the huge cohort of fringe GC riders who are extremely unlikely to ever with the Tour, like Dan, but who still ride conservatively.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

hammerthaim said:
I don't know which is more painful- Nairo not attacking or Kreuziger spinning the worst cadence of everyone by about 20rpm.
Slowest. Slowest is the word. There is nothing like best of worst cadence. Lance Armstrong introduced high cadence.

either froome and quintana are both relatively weak and we're entirely entitled to expect sensations from the other contenders or the whole build-up may be sharpened up for 3rd weak this year. the fact that sky let the break stay away so easily might be an indication that froome initially planned to play the stage safe. both chris and nairo thinking it's not time for all-out attack thus far is also an option. as a result in view of atrocious weather conditions the stage turned out to be nonselective...looking forward to mont ventoux

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Kokoso said:
hammerthaim said:
I don't know which is more painful- Nairo not attacking or Kreuziger spinning the worst cadence of everyone by about 20rpm.
Slowest. Slowest is the word. There is nothing like best of worst cadence. Lance Armstrong introduced high cadence.
Your knee ligaments probably disagree. ;)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Kokoso said:
hammerthaim said:
Your knee ligaments probably disagree. ;)
Only thing that's spoiling it to me is that when he attacks his low cadence kind of distorts it so some people always think it was weak attack when actually it was not. What a difference to waching machine attack or Tim Wellens attack. These guys who are pedalling like crazy always look fast till moment when you see Kreuziger next to them turning gear 3 times slower :razz:

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
Escarabajo said:
BTW, why is Sky changing their tactics and sending Henao on the attack instead of setting tempo until they are completely deflated?

I can only think it's because Henao is better as a rapid changes of gear climber than as a slow, endless grind kind of climber. Also he is still GC relevant. If an attack from him is chased down, well and good that's some other contender spending energy. If it isn't chased down, then Froome has a choice between allowing Henao to take time or jumping to him.

It is an odd detail though. Everything else in the way Froome's domestiques ride is unchanging since his first moments as a Sky leader. So the change is curious.
Unless he broke ranks and got called back as Froome himself did in 2012. It must be frustrating for race horses to do donkey work.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
I doubt Majka can win the KOM because he will be tired from the Giro - You need lots of energy to continually make breaks.

He won the KOM and 2 stages in 2014 after finishing 6th in the Giro
He was even a bit sick at the end of that Giro.

I ain't got no clue though, whether Majka never peaked 100% for the Giro with the Tour in his sight or if he simply ain't got his prime shape this year!

We gonna find out certainly!

TRENDING THREADS