• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Info & Discussion

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Contador and Quintana will go in as favourites.

The following riders are either confirmed or likely to attend.
Chaves, Yates, Purito, Lopez, Uran, Kruijswijk, Rolland, Gesink, Talansky,Van Garderen, Poels, Konig, Aru, Pinot, Jungels, Amador, Porte and Barguil.

Froome will go as Sky have said for years that they see the best prep for the following season as riding the Vuelta. Hence why Geraint rode it last year.
I think Sky won't commit to any riders and will keep their cards open, with Poels, Konig, Roche and Froome all potential cards to play. Also it is easier to stay up high on GC in the Vuelta as the 1st week is less dangerous and flat than that of the tour for the GC guys. Also Froome would have no pressure on them and neither would Sky.
He rode it in 2012,14 & 15 so i expect to see him there even if he is out of shape.

The course is perfect for Froome, plenty of mountains and long flat time trials.
Out of those expected to turn up (if they are in form) Contador, Uran, Jungels, Kruijswijk, Talansky, TVG, Porte, Konig have all shown the best time trialling out of the GC contenders in grandtours.

I exspect nothing from Pinot but wouldn't be surprised if he performed. He just isn't mentally strong enough imo for the TDF and should focus on Giro and Vuelta.

I imagine Yates will have a point to prove and Chaves is constantly improving. Should be one of the best races of the year!

Pre-selection Movistar: Amador, Castro, Fernandez, the Herradas, J.Moreno, Ion.

Valverde will decide after Rio.
No news yet on the presence of Quintana. I think Valverde will go, if Quintana skips. Unfortunately no Soler in the pre-selection, would love to see how he performs in his first GT. Also no Visconti, maybe marking the exit at the end of the season..

Re:

Moviestar said:
Pre-selection Movistar: Amador, Castro, Fernandez, the Herradas, J.Moreno, Ion.

Valverde will decide after Rio.
No news yet on the presence of Quintana. I think Valverde will go, if Quintana skips. Unfortunately no Soler in the pre-selection, would love to see how he performs in his first GT. Also no Visconti, maybe marking the exit at the end of the season..

No Betancur :confused:

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Some of these riders, think Rolland, TJ and Kruijswijk, will be in for a surprise. La Vuelta punishes these diesels for a living
Yeah, Kruijswijk will probably get top 10, but iirc he doesn't like heat. He wants long mountain stages and not those little steep climbs at the end of a flat stage. That makes two important disadvantages. Roglic (?) and Gesink should be good domestiques though.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Some of these riders, think Rolland, TJ and Kruijswijk, will be in for a surprise. La Vuelta punishes these diesels for a living
Yeah, You're probably right. A fresh Gesink on the other hand could do well, he has done well in the Vuelta before.
Felline could surprise people on a few stages, he's a good climber, has great recovery, is a good TT rider and has a great sprint.
I fear that people are overhyping Superman Lopez for gc, the first gt is usually mosty a learning experience, so you shouldn't expect too much from him.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Skoekeloen said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, Kruijswijk will probably get top 10, but iirc he doesn't like heat. He wants long mountain stages and not those little steep climbs at the end of a flat stage. That makes two important disadvantages. Roglic (?) and Gesink should be good domestiques though.

Pinot is also a diesel who hates heat...honestly, he'll probably be in a similar position. :sad:

Anderis said:
Oliwright said:
The following riders are either confirmed or likely to attend.
Chaves, Yates, Purito, Lopez, Uran, Kruijswijk, Rolland, Gesink, Talansky,Van Garderen, Poels, Konig, Aru, Pinot, Jungels, Amador, Porte and Barguil.
Uran will not attend from what I've read on this forum.

Jonathon Vaughters said he would on the cycling podcast i think.

It's hilarious how contador is underrated since his tdf crash. Before the tour: "contador can win this, he had a great spring and a perfect preparation"
After the Tour: "contador is obviously past his prime he hasn't won the tour since 2009. froome and Quintana will beat him in the vuelta although they rode the tour."

Gigs_98 said:
It's hilarious how contador is underrated since his tdf crash. Before the tour: "contador can win this, he had a great spring and a perfect preparation"
After the Tour: "contador is obviously past his prime he hasn't won the tour since 2009. froome and Quintana will beat him in the vuelta although they rode the tour."

Who says that tho? Contador should be the favourite, but not by much against Froome.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
52520Andrew said:
Yeah don't understand how they could have Quintana above both Contador AND Froome.

Only thing I can think is they think the Olympics for Froome and not ideal preparation for Bertie. Still think it's a bit weird but I reckon Quintana will have a good Vuelta.

Quintana did make the podium last year after doing the Tour so I think he should put in a good showing even if he was bad at the Tour but I don't see him winning it.

I think Froome could very well win it if he goes for it but the preparation may not be there with the Olympics. With that said, I don't think the Olympics will wear on him too much and it isn't like he went too deep in the Tour. I don't think he will be the Froome we have seen in the Tour the past couple years but he should be a threat.

I see flashes of 2014 again with Contador here and I think he knows what he has to do in order to prepare for this race. I think he would be my favorite as things stand right now and he doesn't have a full Tour in his legs like the other riders.

Outside of those guys, I think there are some intriguing names out there although I will wait to see who is attending and who isn't before I get too deep.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador is by far the biggest favorite, way way above Froome.

Not only did Froome do the tour, otherwise you have a point of course but he's gonna do the olympics in another continent! (and he's riding criteriums too).