• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Info & Discussion

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

[/quote]

LOL Lance Armstrong made spinning a high cadence popular a few years back. Transformed Froome does it now, go figure.[/quote]

LOL....yes and they both rode bikes.....rode in Europe..... On roads ,,,,,what exactly is your point here?

Gotta say the OBE selection is interesting - No Tzurruka for mountain support - Mezgec must have suffered a setback because he was slated to lead the sprints - Verona must have suffered a problem - Surprised OBE allowed Haig to start, seeing he's had a busy neo-pro year - Good to see Cort get a ride as he is developing well as a rider.

Anyway it will all be about GC and hope to sneak a stage win.

Re:

yaco said:
Gotta say the OBE selection is interesting - No Tzurruka for mountain support - Mezgec must have suffered a setback because he was slated to lead the sprints - Verona must have suffered a problem - Surprised OBE allowed Haig to start, seeing he's had a busy neo-pro year - Good to see Cort get a ride as he is developing well as a rider.

Anyway it will all be about GC and hope to sneak a stage win.
Mezgec is suffering from a 2 year long setback.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Sykes said:
KATUSHA

Tiago Machado (POR)
Sven Erik Bystrom (NOR)
Jhonathan Restrepo (COL)
Egor Silin (RUS)
Sergey Lagutin (RUS)
Alberto Losada (RUS)
Matvey Mamykin (RUS)
Rein Taaramae (EST)
Pavel Kochetkov (RUS)

So...what to expect from this Katusha team? :rolleyes:
I'm curious about Mamykin and Taaramae performances and suporting my portuguese mate Tiago Machado!
Very low expectations, Rein could surprise people and it's mostly a learning experience for Mamykin. I wonder why they didn't bring Chernetckii, the guy is fast and was climbing pretty well in the TdS, but he'll probably become one of their main guys in the hilly one day races now that Purito is gone, so sending him to the Canadian Classics and to Lombardia with a Bergamo finish (they should have already let him race Lombardia in 2014 after finishing 7th in Milano-Torino, but they don't give him many chances to ride for himself in races that suit him well).
No Idea about the typical Vuelta surprise, Kennaugh could finally live up to his potential, Cataldo somehow finishing in the top 10 would surprise me, but it wouldn't be a huge shock, same with Rein actually doing well on the gc. Sergio Pardilla could also be a huge surprise.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
So, who are the main contenders among the fresh riders? Chavez? Kruiswijk? Lopez?
Out of the three Chavez. The Vuelta absolutely doesn't suit Kruijswijk and Lopez is just unproven. He might be strong but I'd always rate a rider who already has a 2nd place in the giro higher than a rider who hasn't even ridden a gt in his whole career.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Weird to read that Purito is not on the startlist. Looking at the stage profiles it almost seems like the organizers were trying to give him the chance of his life to finally get that GT win.

Re: Re:

LOL Lance Armstrong made spinning a high cadence popular a few years back. Transformed Froome does it now, go figure.[/quote]

LOL....yes and they both rode bikes.....rode in Europe..... On roads ,,,,,what exactly is your point here?[/quote]

The question was: I wonder who will be the first to spin like Froome?

I answer is it's done before by Lance Armstrong.....and he was not first by any stretch of the imagination either.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Cp_FW1sWcAEILAP.jpg