• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 10: Lugones > Lagos de Covadonga

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
Was Sastre ever that extreme? Something tells me it was on Verbier in 2009, but I really don't remember enough.
Just watch the 2010 Zoncolan stage, he got dropped right at the start of the real climb and still finished 6th.

Man, I have to now, don't I? I'd honestly much rather watch Verbier now, I guess some nostalgic Contador fans would prefer the same today. ;)
That battle between Basso and Evans is "legendary" for me.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Froome - Quintana- AC (accurate) gaps at different phases of today's stage:
(km to go indicates the distance of the race leader to the finish at the moment Froome/ AC pass at the exact location that Quintana has passed previously)

-10.0k -> 12s
-9.3k -> 17s
-8.9k -> 17s
-8.2k -> 17s
-7.5k -> 23s
-6.9k -> 35
-6.3k -> 39s AC Starts his attack
-5.9k -> 49s
-5.7k -> 41s Froome increases tempo
-5.5k -> 38s
-5.3k -> 35s
-4.8k -> 33s
-4.3k -> 29s
-3.0k -> 19s (8s to AC)
-2.5k -> 25s (Froome catches AC)
-1.9k ->30s (45s toAC)
-1.0k -> 30s
finish -> 25s

Re:

Ataraxus said:
Froome - Quintana- AC (accurate) gaps at different phases of today's stage:
(km to go indicates the distance of the race leader to the finish at the moment Froome/ AC pass at the exact location that Quintana has passed previously)

-10.0k -> 12s
-9.3k -> 17s
-8.9k -> 17s
-8.2k -> 17s
-7.5k -> 23s
-6.9k -> 35
-6.3k -> 39s AC Starts his attack
-5.9k -> 49s
-5.7k -> 41s Froome increases tempo
-5.5k -> 38s
-5.3k -> 35s
-4.8k -> 33s
-4.3k -> 29s
-3.0k -> 19s (8s to AC)
-2.5k -> 25s (Froome catches AC)
-1.9k ->30s (45s toAC)
-1.0k -> 30s
finish -> 25s
Nice job. If anything, this makes it look like a missed opportunity on Quintana's part. He seems to have slowed before the final attack. But I can see why he didn't want to drag Bertie.
Tank Engine said:
In the following stages, he can allow Bertie along for a ride, the important thing is to put time into the Alien. I would say he needs another minute before the time trial to feel comfortable..
So again, this.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 10: Lugones > Lagos de Covad

It's funny because Asturian stages are not as hard as they were in previous Vuelta's editions but we have watch 2 really good stages, one between good racers and another one between the great contenders of this Vuelta.

As Asturian, I'm proud of it. This time you could watch even better the beauty of this place. The dinosaurs earth.

ruta-del-cares-800x600.jpg

images

vista-aerea-de-lastres.jpg

carton said:
LaFlorecita said:
Of course he is. He is quite clearly having a dig at Alberto. Really sad.
Come on Fleur, the proper way to write that is "Sad!".

There really must be no love lost between them. But then again Contador seems to have had a strained relationship with Lance, Valverde, Andy, Sastre, Purito, and even Nairo according to sources today (wonder what that's about). Maybe he's the Lizzie Armitstead of the men's peloton, and everyone is simply jealous of their success. Surely that must be it. He's such a charming guy when he wants to be. No one can be that charming and then be a different person behind the scenes.

Are you for real....So many people are very charming in the media and in interviews and are dreaful behind the scenes ... And one group that can pull this off are elite sports people ...so niave to suggest one's media persona is the real one

Also some dreadful comments on Kreuziger when no one here knows what he meant and what the issues are at Tinkoff and with Contador...All part of the illusion projected on to Contador on here by fans who quite frankly have no idea what Contador is like as a person

I know nothing about the real Contador (ust like others on here ) but I have always thought it strange that he spends all his time with Hernadez and Pauliono and still has them on his GT team when they are not at the required level ... Shows serious lack of trust of others and a need to isolate from the other best riders ..which is telling. Also there has been problems at Tinkoff for ages and Contador must in part be responsible for this ...it can't all be other people or Kreuziger

HelloDolly said:
Are you for real....
Nope. It thought that had been rather thin, but blackcat's favourite law strikes rather unexpectedly sometimes. I guess you must be familiar with Ed Gunderson, although most now rather criminally underrate his charm. But perhaps not, the past is so easily forgotten and stripped from the historical record on a whim. But he was dead right about something: il n'y a pas que le vélo dans la vie. Something so easily lost in translation but equally true on each side of the divide. Great ideas that now can only be associated with parody.

For once everything happened according to my plans :eek: . Nice job Nairo, but he needs a 2 minute cushion before the final ITT. Maybe more. Probably more. It's a three-horse race, Movistar better not screw it up...

Tonton said:
For once everything happened according to my plans :eek: . Nice job Nairo, but he needs a 2 minute cushion before the final ITT. Maybe more. Probably more.
To be sure, more. But not more to be sure. With two he has a chance.
Tonton said:
It's a three-horse race, Movistar better not screw it up...
Froome, Quintana and a dip in form? Contador and Chaves can do something in the third week, surely, but if you mean Valverde I think that's yet to be seen. He'd sign a third place without a moment's hesitation, IMHO.

HelloDolly said:
carton said:
LaFlorecita said:
Of course he is. He is quite clearly having a dig at Alberto. Really sad.
Come on Fleur, the proper way to write that is "Sad!".

There really must be no love lost between them. But then again Contador seems to have had a strained relationship with Lance, Valverde, Andy, Sastre, Purito, and even Nairo according to sources today (wonder what that's about). Maybe he's the Lizzie Armitstead of the men's peloton, and everyone is simply jealous of their success. Surely that must be it. He's such a charming guy when he wants to be. No one can be that charming and then be a different person behind the scenes.

Are you for real....So many people are very charming in the media and in interviews and are dreaful behind the scenes ... And one group that can pull this off are elite sports people ...so niave to suggest one's media persona is the real one

Also some dreadful comments on Kreuziger when no one here knows what he meant and what the issues are at Tinkoff and with Contador...All part of the illusion projected on to Contador on here by fans who quite frankly have no idea what Contador is like as a person

I know nothing about the real Contador (ust like others on here ) but I have always thought it strange that he spends all his time with Hernadez and Pauliono and still has them on his GT team when they are not at the required level ... Shows serious lack of trust of others and a need to isolate from the other best riders ..which is telling. Also there has been problems at Tinkoff for ages and Contador must in part be responsible for this ...it can't all be other people or Kreuziger
Hmmm.

Riders like Rogers, Sagan and Bennati always seemed to get along with Contador pretty well. He seemed to get along very well with Andy Schleck too. Hernandez was certainly WT level, a very good domestiques for years. I'm not sure what the issue is there :confused:

I've never heard anything about Contador having feuds with Sastre, Valverde or Purito before, what's all that about?

HelloDolly said:

For what it's worth I base my opinion on what he's like on interviews and the opinions of people who actually know him

Well you are spot on, Karsten Kroon once said Alberto has been through so many hard times in his career that he builds a coccoon around him of people he trusts. You can find that strange but it makes sense to me.

42x16ss said:
I've never heard anything about Contador having feuds with Sastre, Valverde or Purito before, what's all that about?
There is no feud with Purito, don't know about Sastre. He has a rivalry on the road with Valverde, mainly because Valverde believes he should be considered Spain's best cyclist, but off the road they get along fine.
As for Andy Schleck, they were always quite good friends but since Andy retired and got that TDF win handed to him, he's stuck a knife in Alberto's back good and proper.

LaFlorecita said:
42x16ss said:
There is no feud with Purito, don't know about Sastre. He has a rivalry on the road with Valverde, mainly because Valverde believes he should be considered Spain's best cyclist, but off the road they get along fine.
As for Andy Schleck, they were always quite good friends but since Andy retired and got that TDF win handed to him, he's stuck a knife in Alberto's back good and proper.

He is making that case right now. ;)

And how is it Andy's fault he was handed the TdF? It was the decision of ASO. not Andy. He even said he didn't consider it as a real win if I remember correctly.

LaFlorecita said:
42x16ss said:
Sastre called him a spoiled brat. Pretty sure they don't get along. You're right about Purito, that's not a feud, they've had some minor issues but they seem tight. Valverde he's not tight with by any stretch. I would call that a proper feud.

Billie said:
Valv.Piti said:
Was Sastre ever that extreme? Something tells me it was on Verbier in 2009, but I really don't remember enough.

he wasn't. Often Sastre was first of favourites to attack

But often he dropped and rode at his own pace and finished strongly. He was smart on the mountain stages and would pass a lot of riders in the last few kms. He never usually cracked like some of the other GC riders he just rode at his own rhythm.

carton said:
LaFlorecita said:
42x16ss said:
Sastre called him a spoiled brat. Pretty sure they don't get along. You're right about Purito, that's not a feud, they've had some minor issues but they seem tight. Valverde he's not tight with by any stretch. I would call that a proper feud.
Wow, that's a lot when it's coming from Sastre. What brought it on?

TRENDING THREADS