• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Stage 20: Benidorm → Alto de Aitana

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:
Can somebody at BMC teach Atapuma how to sprint?

His gear ratio is fine on long climbs, but it is not on sprints. LOL.

It was ugly. The winner looked like he was dying on the bike for many kms and Atapuma was twirling a ridiculous gear that never seemed to change when he sprinted. Very gutsy win by the French guy but Atapuma misjudged the finish badly.

Atapuma was just dead. Whatever gear. No shame in that as the final kms of the break were an epic fight.

Savant12 said:
Robert5091 said:
Congrats to Quintana and Moviestar on win - strongest team, but I hope Moviestar send Bertie a case of something good.

They could have a started setting a higher tempo when Chavez was taking off but didn't. Quintana owed Contador for his lead but didn't repay the favor. I hope Contador remembers that the next time he drags Quintana into a winning break.

Bollocks, it is freaking Vuelta and not a charity ride. On stage 15 they shared common interest, I don't see any sensible reason why Movi should've burned energy of their doms just for Contador's 3rd place when there was GT win at stake.

In their shoes I would've actually sat down and let Contador/Froome to chase Chaves, but that would've propably been too risky. Actually Movi gave AC a chance to get back to third as they kept the difference is par 2m and even took back 20-30 sec with Valverde pacing towards the end of climb.

It's a race at the end of the day. It doesn't really matter whether Quintana was being competitive or trying to get a dig in, nor does it matter whether Froome was being classy or sarcastic.

What does matter is that Quintana was very impressive in this race and was a deserving winner. This race was the first time in a while (ever?) that he laid down the hammer in a Grand Tour and consistently put down strong performances over a 3-week period.

Why honestly are people giving Quintana stick for sprinting at the end of that stage? Cycling in a mental game and after getting soundly beaten by Froome in the last 2 TDF's it was Quintana's turn to show Froome that he can beat him up the climbs and go into next season believing that he can do that. It might be in poor manners in those unwritten rules of cycling but in case anybody hasn't noticed that time in cycling has mostlay passed, Quintana simply did nothing wrong.

Re:

[quote="StryderHells" it was Quintana's turn to show Froome that he can beat him up the climbs and go into next season believing that he can do that. .[/quote]

That's what makes it so disgusting
It's very ok to do that just like alberto did on ancares in 2014. But don't do it in the last 200 meters for christ sake. If you want to show him you are the better climber, have the decency to attack him with at least 1 km to go....

To be noted, froome's lie on twitter was even more pathetic. Journalists saw him angry after the finish line and the sky staff disgusted by nairo sprint but in twitter, he says congrats nairo , i applaud movistar ahahhaha. So two faced.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
A little gratitude would have been nice but it's fine, it's a race. I'm just looking forward to next year to watch Contador sabotage Quintana, Valverde and Movistar at every opportunity :) it'll be glorious

You are so incredibly butt hurt its incredible :lol:
Lol yeah I won't deny it :D but no hard feelings about Nairo's victory, he was really strong, chapeau :)

jens_attacks said:
It's very ok to do that just like alberto did on ancares in 2014. But don't do it in the last 200 meters for christ sake. If you want to show him you are the better climber, have the decency to attack him with at least 1 km to go....

To be noted, froome's lie on twitter was even more pathetic. Journalists saw him angry after the finish line and the sky staff disgusted by nairo sprint but in twitter, he says congrats nairo , i applaud movistar ahahhaha. So two faced.
I feel more or less the same about Nairo's move (although not as strongly) if he had jumped with around 1km to go or if there had been a stage win up for grabs I wouldn't mind, but now it just leaves a bit of a bad taste I think. I also don't like other riders, for example Froome sprinting for every millisecond, I suppose it's a complex I got from the 2012 Vuelta, lol ... :p

About Froome, yeah, that's two-faced. Sure, no problem, it was a possibly irrational reaction in the heat of the moment. You can decide to stick with it or admit it was a mistake, apologize and move on. But many people thought it was genuine and complimented him for it so he probably thought "let's roll with it and score brownie points with the fans" :eek:

jens_attacks said:

Classic Nairo. Him overtaking Carthy in Route du Sud in the final 100m was even worse.

But journalists seeing Froome angry means absolutely nothing. He lost the Vuelta, why wouldn't he be angry. You can be angry and acknowledge your opponent being stronger at the same time. Nothing to do with being two faced imo.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
A little gratitude would have been nice but it's fine, it's a race. I'm just looking forward to next year to watch Contador sabotage Quintana, Valverde and Movistar at every opportunity :) it'll be glorious

I'm actually quite sure he won't, because Movistar will probably figth against Sky in those occassions and I actually think AC hates Sky even more than Movistar. Reason being that it was originally Sky that designed the super dom train approach to beat guys like AC in GT's. And that has worked...

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

I'm actually quite sure he won't, because Movistar will probably fight against Sky in those occassions and I actually think AC hates Sky even more than Movistar. Reason being that it was originally Sky that designed the super dom train approach to beat guys like AC in GT's. And that has worked...

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Rumour has it Contador will move to Sky for one season to do Giro/Vuelta next year.

Yes, I'm trolling but wouldn't it be nice to see Contador with a good team for once since the last five years..

Movistar = Sky

TRENDING THREADS