• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 3: Marín > Mirador de Ézaro

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

del1962 said:
Far too early to write Contador of for this Vuelta.

I agree with this. If he is remotely close to Froome and Quintana in physiological terms still, he should have a huge advantage in the 3rd week.

Re:

del1962 said:
Far too early to write Contador of for this Vuelta.
He must hope Quintana and Froome lose their form because it seems unlikely he'll improve much during the race, he almost never does. He will bleed more time on the other uphill finishes this week anyway, so it's hard to see him win. Curious to read his comments after the stage.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Pantani_lives said:
It's Froome vs. Movistar now (and maybe Chaves). Movistar has the strongest team, which makes this a more interesting race than the Tour.

Contador fans were so overconfident declaring him top favorite...
Not just his fans considered him to be the top favorite. Clearly, he's not as good as many had thought. No need to kick his fans.
It wasn't intended to kick his fans, but some previews gave the impression he couldn't lose this race. It would have been better for the race if he had been at his best.

TMP402 said:
MatParker117 said:
TMP402 said:
Kwiatkowski 89th, 6 minutes down. Kennaugh and Koenig were 15th and 16th, a minute down. Sky's Plan B and rotation hierarchy established.

Gives Kwaitkowski rope to go for breaks.

Or they're actually confident enough in Froome's form to play it like the Tour and keep Kwia in reserve for the more important stages. I kind of doubt it though.

Green Jersey is a good plan b.

TMP402 said:
MatParker117 said:
TMP402 said:
Kwiatkowski 89th, 6 minutes down. Kennaugh and Koenig were 15th and 16th, a minute down. Sky's Plan B and rotation hierarchy established.

Gives Kwaitkowski rope to go for breaks.

Or they're actually confident enough in Froome's form to play it like the Tour and keep Kwia in reserve for the more important stages. I kind of doubt it though.
It would have been criminal not to go with Konig as plan B anyway. The guy has always finished top 10 in his first GT of the season. If Froome cracks big time or crashes, I think he could be a dark horse for the podium.

LaFlorecita said:
BigMac said:
I doubt that. Don't even think Alberto will do the Tour next year.
Perhaps this race will change his mind, but his spring campaign gave him the idea he can still compete with the best. He said the Tour will be his goal until his retirement.

I understand him. Besides, dropping out of the Tour the way he did, he must have felt like he had much to give. It always leaves uncertainty.

Re:

wwabbit said:
Quintana lost 6 seconds to Valverde Froome and Chaves.... what was Valverde doing?!

Problem was Valverde was forced to wait for Quintano who didn't have the legs - Then Chavez wouldn't attack Movie Star -Valverde sent Fernandez up the road to make sure Froome didn't get bonus seconds for second - Valverde made the right decision.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I still cannot believe that riders don't just sit on Froome's wheel on these climbs.
Froome isn't messiah, his rivals must doing their own race, one day he could have an off day and not practice bluff. But like always his tactic works because he's the best srm rider and because he's bloody confident in himself.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jsem94 said:
Who the hell is Ruben Fernandez? lmao

Outshining Quintana and Valverde. Red jersey.

The guy who won Tour de l'Avenir 2013, and beat Yates brothers, Alaphilippe and Formolo in the process...

Pantani_lives said:
Mr.White said:
jsem94 said:
Who the hell is Ruben Fernandez? lmao

Outshining Quintana and Valverde. Red jersey.

The guy who won Tour de l'Avenir 2013, and beat Yates brothers, Alaphilippe and Formolo in the process...

It's weird there has never been a top cyclist named Fernandez, given that it's such a common name in Spain. I can't think of anyone better than Bingen.
You must be too young to have heard of Alberto Fernandez Blanco.

Isaak-Gabriel said:
Red Rick said:
I still cannot believe that riders don't just sit on Froome's wheel on these climbs.
Froome isn't messiah, his rivals must doing their own race, one day he could have an off day and not practice bluff. But like always his tactic works because he's the best srm rider and because he's bloody confident in himself.

It's a climb where drafting doesn't matters very little. You know for sure he's pacing well, so if you're looking at his back wheel, you're also pacing well.

TRENDING THREADS