• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 3: Marín > Mirador de Ézaro

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Mr.White said:
jsem94 said:
Who the hell is Ruben Fernandez? lmao

Outshining Quintana and Valverde. Red jersey.

The guy who won Tour de l'Avenir 2013, and beat Yates brothers, Alaphilippe and Formolo in the process...

It's weird there has never been a top cyclist named Fernandez, given that it's such a common name in Spain. I can't think of anyone better than Bingen.

Koldo Fernandez the Euskaltel sprinter

Ramon Koran said:
DFA123 said:
Ramon Koran said:
Alberto is finished, thanks for the memories but enough is enough, not right to see a great rider like him being humiliated like that.
I think we've seen it enough times now for it not to be a surprise. On home soil though it's got to sting a bit more.
Yes but it's the fact that he is the freshest and should have had the best prep for this race, yet he is beaten by guys who rode the tour like Quintana and Froome and guys who did the giro like esteban. Not forgeting Valverde who has done all three at the age of 36.

Maybe Burgos was a mistake? End of the day, as bad as he looked, you never write him off.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

yaco said:
wwabbit said:
Quintana lost 6 seconds to Valverde Froome and Chaves.... what was Valverde doing?!

Problem was Valverde was forced to wait for Quintano who didn't have the legs - Then Chavez wouldn't attack Movie Star -Valverde sent Fernandez up the road to make sure Froome didn't get bonus seconds for second - Valverde made the right decision.

Yeah, having multiple leaders creates complications sometimes, but the move of letting Fernandez go was the right one.

LaFlorecita said:
del1962 said:
Far too early to write Contador of for this Vuelta.
He must hope Quintana and Froome lose their form because it seems unlikely he'll improve much during the race, he almost never does. He will bleed more time on the other uphill finishes this week anyway, so it's hard to see him win. Curious to read his comments after the stage.
I said this at the beginning of the year. It probably applies again. Contador might need to adjust to his aging and not be the best in the race everytime. He needs to learn to just ride miles. To gradually getting back on form during races. Not just trying to follow the attacks of the GC contenders all the time. He is not the one he used to be. If he has the talent it will show again by riding the good miles. My 2 cents.

Pantani_lives said:
Mr.White said:
jsem94 said:

The guy who won Tour de l'Avenir 2013, and beat Yates brothers, Alaphilippe and Formolo in the process...

It's weird there has never been a top cyclist named Fernandez, given that it's such a common name in Spain. I can't think of anyone better than Bingen.
I thought there was a good Spanish cyclist named Alberto Fernandez during the 80's.

ice&fire said:
Pantani_lives said:
Mr.White said:
jsem94 said:

You must be too young to have heard of Alberto Fernandez Blanco.
You're right. I declare him the best Fernandez of all time.

Red Rick said:
It's a climb where drafting doesn't matters very little. You know for sure he's pacing well, so if you're looking at his back wheel, you're also pacing well.
Possibly, for someone like Yates, Porte or Bardet. But among the riders at the Vuelta I wouldn't advise anyone to try to follow Froome's wheel but for Nairo Quintana or Esteban Chaves. Otherwise it's a one way ticket to blowing yourself up when he goes for it. Froome has the best acceleration among the Vuelta GC riders bar maybe Valverde (who knows how to pace himself and is prone to "cracking") and Chaves (sorry, Contador fans). And if I was Chaves I'd be riding my own race up the punchy stuff. And if I was Quintana and had three teammates ahead I'd follow them instead.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Some important gaps:

Valverde, Froome, Chaves
Quintana, Anton +6''
Contador, Samu, Brambilla +28''
Meintjes, Latour +30"
Kennaugh +36''
Konig +40''
Frank +45''
Formolo, Scarponi +47"
Talansky +49''
Elissonde +53''
Pardilla +58''
Kruijswijk, Gesink +1'36"
TVG, Rolland +7'30"
Carthy +14'17''

Re:

Sykes said:
Some important gaps:

Valverde, Froome, Chaves
Quintana, Anton +6''
Meintjes, Latour +30"
Kennaugh +36''
Konig +40''
Frank +45''
Formolo, Scarponi +47"
Talansky +49''
Elissonde +53''
Pardilla +58''
TVG, Rolland +7'30"
Carthy +14'17''
Good summary. Had higher hopes for Contador, Carthy (who might not be going for GC) and the Lotto boys. A little surprised by Anton. Everyone else seems to be par for the course in my book. Lopez gets a mulligan.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Sykes said:
Some important gaps:

Valverde, Froome, Chaves
Quintana, Anton +6''
Meintjes, Latour +30"
Kennaugh +36''
Konig +40''
Frank +45''
Formolo, Scarponi +47"
Talansky +49''
Elissonde +53''
Pardilla +58''
TVG, Rolland +7'30"
Carthy +14'17''

I think Anton didn't finished with Quintana, he was some 7-8 sec back

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
Stage result is wrong.
QUINTANA N. MOV 00' 32''
ANTON I. DDD 00' 32''

Anton should be at 42 seconds.

saganboss beat me to it
the thing is i didn't remembered seeing anton near quintana, tbh i thought anton was on the contador group then i watched the replay
i think they will change this soon, they don't even show all the riders, just 152 mso something is wrong with their website

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Sykes said:
Some important gaps:

Valverde, Froome, Chaves
Quintana, Anton +6''
Meintjes, Latour +30"
Kennaugh +36''
Konig +40''
Frank +45''
Formolo, Scarponi +47"
Talansky +49''
Elissonde +53''
Pardilla +58''
TVG, Rolland +7'30"
Carthy +14'17''

I think Anton didn't finished with Quintana, he was some 7-8 sec back

I don't remember if they finished together, but it's the time that appears in the official Vuelta site

Billie said:
Flamin said:
Last km 2012: 4'34" (Purito)

Last km 2016: 4'24" (Fernández)

:eek:

how did you measure this? Cause the red kite was not on same spot this year

Oops, you're right. It was indeed hard to believe but assumed it was the same.

Checked again and Purito had 4'05" in 2012, measured from the same mark as Fernández' 4'24" today.

For the whole climb I timed it around 6'55" (they didn't show the moment they started the climb)

Just watched the last kilometers of the stage.
I'm very disappointed by Contador. I feared he would loose a few seconds but 28 is a lot, especially considering he is already far behind. The last week should be interesting though, since Contador will probably become better, because he had an injury, while Quintana and especially Froome will get worse because they still have the end of their tour peak. The main question is however if Froome will fade as badly as in 2012 (in that case he doesn't have a chance anyway) or if his shape will stay good. Anyway, Chaves just became my top favorite, because there isn't such a big question mark behind how his shape will develop. Contador must not lose any more time this week and has to start gaining time in Lagos de Covadonga. On the Aubisque, in Formigal and on stage 20 he might gain a lot of time if his shape develops well and considering what kind of rider Contador is he won't wait for the last kilometers of a stage if he needs time. Objectively Contador losing a lot of time early is actually quite good, but since I want him to win I'd prefer it if he wouldn't lose any more time.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Flamin said:
Last km 2012: 4'34" (Purito)

Last km 2016: 4'24" (Fernández)

Froome was faster than Fernandez in the last km.
To my measurements : Froome was 16 seconds behind Fernandez with ~1k to go (~700m to go for the race leader). and he finished 5 seconds behind.
Ergo (assuming your initial measurement was right) the quote must go like this:

Last km 2016: 4'13" (Froome)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:
Vuelta a España once again the best race of the year.
Indeed. Not really sure why murito's get so much stick. They guarantee action from the big names every single time. Even multiple high mountain stages couldn't do that in the Tour.

Remarkably, some people want to ruin FW by deleting from it the intrigue who's the strongest up the Mur de Huy and adding instead the 'intrigue ' whether some breakaway will be caught.

TRENDING THREADS