• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 7: Maceda > Puebla de Sanabria

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

portugal11 said:
Please chavez, save this vuelta. I can't see valverde or quintana winning this vuelta.

Chris-Froome-679187.jpg

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
MatParker117 said:
LaFlorecita said:
portugal11 said:
Please chavez, save this vuelta. I can't see valverde or quintana winning this vuelta.
Yeah it's all on Chavito now.

Froome should eat him for breakfast in Calp.
Yep, even an out of shape Froome should be able to take 2 to 3 minutes out of Chavito in 37k TT.
We have seen some pretty messed up results in Vuelta TTs though. Pozzovivo springs to mind, as does Aru last year.

LaFlorecita said:
MatParker117 said:
LaFlorecita said:
portugal11 said:

If Froome fades it doesn't matter. Chavito will eat him for breakfast lunch and dinner uphill.

I fully agree if Froome fades he has an advantage but if Froome does ride into this race he should probably end Chaves's GC hopes in that TT. He'll put minutes into him if he's on form and I look forward to watching it unfold.

Brullnux said:
Irondan said:
MatParker117 said:
LaFlorecita said:
portugal11 said:

Yep, even an out of shape Froome should be able to take 2 to 3 minutes out of Chavito in 37k TT.
We have seen some pretty messed up results in Vuelta TTs though. Pozzovivo springs to mind, as does Aru last year.
True but they still lost 2 to 3 minutes at relatively the same distance to Dumoulin.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Difficult to decompose Contador's crashing into bad luck and poor skills without good crash data for pro riders. Does anyone know whether someone's collecting those stats?

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Certainly he was never known as someone with poor skills before the last two years.
Any stats like that would be welcomed, regardless how tasteless such data would be to someone.

But most riders say, if you are in a bad place mentally - it is easier to get stuck in random events like crashes.

Re:

Thepirateisgood said:
Certainly he was never known as someone with poor skills before the last two years.
Any stats like that would be welcomed, regardless how tasteless such data would be to someone.

But most riders say, if you are in a bad place mentally - it is easier to get stuck in random events like crashes.
It must be a mental thing, as you said, he didn't crash nearly as much in earlier years. In 2015 and 2016, 10 times combined, I think. Maybe he's lost his confidence, maybe doubts have crept into his mind. Hard to shake that and get better again.

LaFlorecita said:
IndianCyclist said:
Its not lack of skills. Its lack of concentration. He is simply getting old.
You can't blame all those crashes on a lack of concentration. That's just crazy.

33 isn't too old to lose concentration. Valverde is 36 doesn't seem to affect him. Didn't affect Horner at nearly 42 winning the Vuelta 2 years ago. I agree with Flo seems a confidence problem.

Cookster15 said:
LaFlorecita said:
IndianCyclist said:
Its not lack of skills. Its lack of concentration. He is simply getting old.
You can't blame all those crashes on a lack of concentration. That's just crazy.

33 isn't too old to lose concentration. Valverde is 36 doesn't seem to affect him. Didn't affect Horner at nearly 42 winning the Vuelta 2 years ago. I agree with Flo seems a confidence problem.
Too many crashes are hard to attribute to one things.. Obviously, only a fool wouldn't be tensed after a half dozen accidents in recents months . Confidence has to be affected for sure. There is more to it as well. Alberto has a riding style that puts him in danger and is hard to protect. He needs "intimidating" guards that give strong signals to impetuous and careless riders to stay clear. Tinkoff team does not have such a protection for Contador.. In years past, that was not needed but we the way the race finish are unfolding now , that kind of protection is a must

TRENDING THREADS