• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 8: Villalpando > La Camperona

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:
Froome wouldn't ride like that in the Tour, which is understandable if he wants to limit his losses, but he felt good enough to attack? Worked at Cumbre del Sol last year I guess

Quintana mighty impressive, will be interesting to see whether his form drops off in the final week

Froome is the most confident rider and aggressive GC rider in the peloton. He felt strong enough and committed fully to an attack, the others as ever merely reacting. He blew up in the end but gave it a good go.

Quintana's reaction was pretty good.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Some important gaps:

Quintana
Contador +25''
Pardilla, Froome, Valverde +33''
Konig +42''
Talansky +49''
Moreno +54''
Chaves, Yates, Scarponi +57''
Brambilla, Formolo +1'02''
Péraud, Bennet +1'06''
Samu +1'15''
Elissonde +1'17''
Meintjes +1'30''
Latour +1'34''

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
Pantani Attacks said:
LOL Contador did the Froome yoyo. Chat sh*t get banged.
**** I missed it!!!

oh man... you missed the best part!! Froome attacked, Contador dropped... then Froome exploded, Contador passed him. Priceless. Quintana though, was impressive. Stayed with Froome's attack,and left Froome in the dust.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

SeriousSam said:
PremierAndrew said:
Froome wouldn't ride like that in the Tour, which is understandable if he wants to limit his losses, but he felt good enough to attack? Worked at Cumbre del Sol last year I guess

Quintana mighty impressive, will be interesting to see whether his form drops off in the final week

Froome is the most confident rider and aggressive GC rider in the peloton. He felt strong enough and committed fully to an attack, the others as ever merely reacting. He blew up in the end but gave it a good go.

Either he was too aggressive or over confident. He might think that he was strong on Ezaro and his rival weren't so much. He typically managed his effort pretty well. He thought, one stinging attack would dislodge everyone. Turn out, Quintana handed to him, then Contador.

Movistar should have worked for the stage win. At least Quintana shows what he's made of. If he can gain more time in the next stages he would have a nice lead to go to the time trial. I would like to see the faces of all those forum members who said Quintana never attacks.

Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 8: Villalpando > La Camperon

WOW - that was quite a shuffle in the Vuelta's GT prospective.

I believe Froome underestimated the climb & everyone - brave effort by him but it seems like Nairito & Contador already had the proper measure of the efforts needed in that kind of inclines, which BTW, they don't suit Froome quite well, as seen in previous Vueltas.

I was really surprised to see Nairito dropping Froome in that fashion, which indicates to me he's a bit fresher and recovered well from the Tour. Contador was a plus to see him clawing back and sprinting well to scratch some seconds. I was expecting lots from Chavito, but it seems he wasn't up to the task, but then we have to see how he manages to attack & get some results.

Looks like we're going to have an exciting Vuleta after all :)

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Movistar should have worked for the stage win. At least Quintana shows what he's made of. If he can gain more time in the next stages he would have a nice lead to go to the time trial. I would like to see the faces of all those forum members who said Quintana never attacks.

They could have had 10+ wins more than they have, if they would have worked for the stage wins this year

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

rune1107 said:
Pantani_lives said:

They could have had 10+ wins more than they have, if they would have worked for the stage wins this year

Are you aware that they're riding for the GC? Do you think they would hold 1st and 2nd spot in the GC if they were hunting stage wins all over the place? They got 32 wins this year, that's a lot of wins for a team who doesn't have a real sprinter(s). They are a GC team, stage wins aren't at the top of their priority list

Mr.White said:
rune1107 said:
Pantani_lives said:

Are you aware that they're riding for the GC? Do you think they would hold 1st and 2nd spot in the GC if they were hunting stage wins all over the place? They got 32 wins this year, that's a lot of wins for a team who doesn't have a real sprinter(s). They are a GC team, stage wins aren't at the top of their priority list
The thing with Movistar is that they do hunt stage wins. However they somehow only have the strongest rider when the break wins. Valverde could have won a lot of stages in the Giro this year if his team would have worked properly on a few days.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
rune1107 said:
Pantani_lives said:

The thing with Movistar is that they do hunt stage wins. However they somehow only have the strongest rider when the break wins. Valverde could have won a lot of stages in the Giro this year if his team would have worked properly on a few days.

You're maybe right, he could won couple of them. But he would burn whole his team, and maybe even himself in the process. Which is the thing he don't wanna do, cause his main objective is GC. This isn't a video game, this is real racing, people get tired...

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
rune1107 said:
Pantani_lives said:

You're maybe right, he could won couple of them. But he would burn whole his team, and maybe even himself in the process. Which is the thing he don't wanna do, cause his main objective is GC. This isn't a video game, this is real racing, people get tired...
I agree but then why did Movistar chase the break on stage 6?

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Mr.White said:
rune1107 said:
Pantani_lives said:

Amador and Visconti contributed exactly nothing to Valverde's Giro GC objective.

TRENDING THREADS