• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 8: Villalpando > La Camperona

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
portugal11 said:
Chavez is showing how week was the field in giro.
Valverde isn't...?
This!
Lets not forget that Aru wasn't much stronger on the super steep stuff and still managed to win the whole thing.
You can compare his performance on the Corvara stage to a 13min all out effort on ungodly steep gradients in a typical Unipublic stage, it's a totally different thing.

Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 8: Villalpando > La Camperon

I'm surprised that Froome blow up so hard on this climb as i was expecting him to gain a few seconds here.Not a big supporter of Konig but he put a decent effort today.
Quintana look really good at the moment,the man to beat.

scurrrr said:
Alexandre B. said:
scurrrr said:
Alexandre B. said:
Andro said:
The last 3 km today provided more entertaining GC battles than the entire Tour did this year.
Put that drink away.
lol french tour fanboy
Stage 8, stage 9, stage 12, stage 19.

There were good GC action. Try to be reasonable, I'm sure it will work.

it was a pretty lame tour tbh

Agreed, this year's TDF was deprived of all suspense regarding GC. No battle whatsoever, it was bagged by The Mantis early on. This Vuelta, on the other hand, just stepped up even more in terms of suspense. Several contenders are very much in the fray, including, amazingly (after crashing yesterday), Berto.

Re:

Billie said:
If there is one thing Chaves is showing it is that it's very hard to ride for high GC in multiple GT's in one season. Especially for young guys.
Chaves is 26, if he is not able to ride more than one gt on a high level he never will be. Moreover I don't know one single rider who is known for not being able to ride more than one gt per season.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:
If there is one thing Chaves is showing it is that it's very hard to ride for high GC in multiple GT's in one season. Especially for young guys.
Chaves is 26, if he is not able to ride more than one gt on a high level he never will be. Moreover I don't know one single rider who is known for not being able to ride more than one gt per season.

There is this guy named Spilak.

Isn't that theory a bit dependent on what age you ride your first gt?

Edit: double what

Thepirateisgood said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Yes, and also your preparation in between. For example, flying to a different continent and trying to peak for a one day race a few days before a GT starts is going to take it's toll, and doesn't happen most seasons.

Of course Chaves could be able to rider more than one GT well in the future. His base will improve and he can modify training in the future as he sees how his body adapts - that's absolutely normal. Age isn't really relevant compared with experience.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Well name me then only 10 current riders who finished high in the GC in 2 GTs' in one season

Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:
Chaves is years behind in his development due to a horrific injury on his hand, which almost forced him to retire. Age is just a number in this case.

Thepirateisgood said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

In which GT did Spilak ever perform well and he never even rode 2 gt's in one season :confused:

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Well name me then only 10 current riders who finished high in the GC in 2 GTs' in one season

Indeed. It's quite rare. Contador, Valverde, Aru and Rodriguez have shown they can. QUintana and Froome also but were hampered by crashes other time.

Uran, Landa, Hesjedal, Majka have all podiumed GT's but were never competitive for GC in the 2nd GT they rode that year.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Thepirateisgood said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

In which GT did Spilak ever perform well and he never even rode 2 gt's in one season :confused:

"Moreover I don't know one single rider who is known for not being able to ride more than one gt per season"

Still this guy Spilak.. is known for not being able to ride more than one gt per season, I didn't see your two sentences as mutually inclusive (or something)

Still I think even if one is 26 it is not known whether you could do (perform well) in double gts in a season.

Many riders ride their first gt at 26, it must be a shock to the system, but almost all cycling trainers says it is a piece in a larger picture.

Didn't he ride his first gt in Vuelta -14, then giro/vuelta last year and same this year + OG?

Give the smiley guy a year or two more.

Edit: Oh, and it's not like the Vuelta is finished yet

Re:

portugal11 said:
Chavez is showing how week was the field in giro.

images

Billie said:
Uran, Landa, Hesjedal, Majka have all podiumed GT's but were never competitive for GC in the 2nd GT they rode that year.
There's a question mark over what would Hesjedal have shown in 2012 Tour de France. He seemed to be in great form, finishing 15th in the prologue (better than in the Giro prologue the same year against weaker opposition) and then finished 9th on stage 2. Unfortunately, he crashed out of the race very early and we didn't get to see what he could achieve after that promising signs early in the race.

Billie said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Indeed. It's quite rare. Contador, Valverde, Aru and Rodriguez have shown they can. QUintana and Froome also but were hampered by crashes other time.

You forgot the only active rider who managed to be twice on the podium on both GTs rode in one year, in 2010, 3rd Giro 1st Vuelta and 2013, 1st Giro second Vuelta.

Rollthedice said:
Billie said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

You forgot the only active rider who managed to be twice on the podium on both GTs rode in one year, in 2010, 3rd Giro 1st Vuelta and 2013, 1st Giro second Vuelta.

Yeah Nibali is best at it anyway. Never ridden a bad GT apart from Tour this year which was prep

Looks like Poels+Nieve+Henao+Landa >>>>>Konig+Kennaugh....... Not enough protection here for Dawg.

Nice from Nairo, but would be good if some of the Spanish speaking riders actually prepared for a race other than the Vuelta.

And hats off to Bertie, that was quality battling today, nice ride from Padilla too.

Billie said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

Hesjedal and Majka don't really count. In the seasons in which they were strong they rode two consecutive gt's and thats something completely different than riding Giro-Vuelta like Chaves this year. Nibali also was nowhere in the tour this year although he has been on two gt podiums in one season twice.
Landa's result in the Vuelta was indeed worse than in the giro but that has nothing to do with his shape there. Watch some stages and you will see that he was actually extremely strong but he had to work for Aru.
You are right about Uran though, so there are indeed a few guys who are bad at riding 2 gt's in one year. Nevertheless I don't agree yet that todays stage showed that Chaves is like Uran, we will have to wait for another week to see if he is or not.

TRENDING THREADS