• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Abu Dhabi Tour, 23 to 26 Feb

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

The Hegelian said:
Despite the error, that's a pretty huge step forward for Ewan. In the Giro last year, in an admittedly great sprint field, he wasn't really in the frame against Kittel, Greipal etc.

I'd say this sprint was the first time he's really proven he can win against the big three. The haters are gonna have to concede that he's the real deal at 23.
Agreed. I don't think he's going to be the next Guardini. He just completely outsprinted Cav, who came off his wheel with tons of time to make the pass. I'm a bit surprised as he looked like he was in bad shape after that crash yesterday. Ok, it's early in the season but I think he's stepped up his game this year. Maybe he even has a chance at moving into the top sprint echelon at some point.

Kittel's sprint was impressive. No train needed.

Greipel poorly positioned and not in the mix which means he'll probably win tomorrow.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
Ewan is very strong in the early races. Let's wait to see how strong he is compared to a top cav, top sagan, top greipel,etc in the middle of the season

and Gaviria

lets call them preseason races

the real season starts today

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Alaphilippe for the win today.
That's a decent posibility. I also suspect that a second or even third tier climber could win here. Someone like Alaphilippe, or maybe Rui Costa, Majka, Gesink. The stage should be so easy before hand, and everyone is still so fresh despite it being stage 3, that it could be more punchy riders that can get the gap / or win a reduced sprint on the flatter section.

Either that or Quintana will just go early and treat it like a ITT again riding everyone off his wheel.

Re:

Jspear said:
Cav said that he thought Ewan was the strongest.
Agree. I only saw the sprint as per tradition with these shitty races, but Ewan held the front for more time than I've ever seen against top sprinters. I never thought he would be able to win the classic, boulevard way just overpowering people long way out. He put out some very high wattage there and should be a good signs for those rooting for Ewan. Dirkprovin, not so much.

Ulissi and Alaphil could surprise if the tempo is weak, but I see a top climber winning, its hard enough of a mountain.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Alaphilippe for the win today.
That's a decent posibility. I also suspect that a second or even third tier climber could win here. Someone like Alaphilippe, or maybe Rui Costa, Majka, Gesink. The stage should be so easy before hand, and everyone is still so fresh despite it being stage 3, that it could be more punchy riders that can get the gap / or win a reduced sprint on the flatter section.

Either that or Quintana will just go early and treat it like a ITT again riding everyone off his wheel.

The caliber of this field prohibits that. He won't be riding everyone off his wheel if he goes early, make the selection, yes, but drop everyone and solo the whole way, no way this time.

Aaah... Eurosport logic:
"We'll show two hours of the - quite honestly somewhat boring - sprint stages, but we'll only show 45 minutes of the queen stage."
Sure, it's been neutralized, but they - ES - can't have known that when they planned the schedule. For all they knew it could've become a total sidewind echelon-party.
Eeeh... officially neutralized, or just people-not-going-very-fast neutralized?

TRENDING THREADS