• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Bergen WC ITT, 31km with hilltop finish

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The TT always has to be 50km or more for the same reason the road race always has to be about 250km. You can have some hills in the TT, you can have a very technical TT, but a 30km TT is just bloody ridiculous. It's like having a 150km RR.

Re:

carolina said:
I already have a problem with the WC in general, this makes it even worst.

The road race doesn't choose the best cyclist of the year, it just randomly atributes the WC to the cyclist that wins a 1 day race. While Sagan is a guy that really deserves the jersey, guys like Costa or Gilbert were not the best during the year they won.
WC (or any other race) would be boring as hell if the best cyclist of the year was always to win it. For me it's the whole point of watching the sport- you don't know who's gonna win and there is always someone who can upset the favourites.

Unless you mean that WC should not be a signle race but the title should be awarded based on results all throughout the season. Well, I haven't made my mind on that.

Re: Re:

Anderis said:
carolina said:

The road race doesn't choose the best cyclist of the year, it just randomly atributes the WC to the cyclist that wins a 1 day race. While Sagan is a guy that really deserves the jersey, guys like Costa or Gilbert were not the best during the year they won.
WC (or any other race) would be boring as hell if the best cyclist of the year was always to win it. For me it's the whole point of watching the sport- you don't know who's gonna win and there is always someone who can upset the favourites.

Unless you mean that WC should not be a signle race but the title should be awarded based on results all throughout the season. Well, I haven't made my mind on that.

The title of world champion implies that the cyclist in question was the best in the world that season. So yes, I think it should be a points based system and the cyclist that finishes the season with the most points should be the world champion. Of course the current UCI point system would need to completely change.

Just as an example, I'm portuguese and when Costa won the WC I had a lot of friends asking me when was he going to win the TdF, since he was the best. It was hard to make them understand that the world champion is not the best cyclist. He just won a 1 day race that gave him that title.

The WC time-trial, on the other hand, wouldn't need to change, since it already correctly chooses the best time-trialist. Changing the course to give advantage to guys that are not really the best time-trialists seems unfair.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
carolina said:

Maybe we should have something like the overall world cup in Alpine or Nordic Skiing, similar to the old UCI Road World Cup with a special jersey for the rider who's leading ATM, the problem would be that it would probably only include WT races and you'd need some time to create a decent points system that would actually work.
Back to the WC ITT, the combination of it being so short and having a hard hill at the end is the problem, just one of those things to spice things up would be ok.
I'd also like to see a really long technical WC ITT, a bit like the long one in the 2013 Giro, having something like that would also be interesting.