• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Giro d'Italia, Stage 3 - Tortoli - Cagliari 148km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Reckon Haas made a tactical error with 1.3km to go. He was the only rider on Jungel's wheel when the lead group split - Haas needed to put the hammer down and it's possible the others may not have come back - Haas is a tactically naive rider.
But then Jungels would have not worked with him alone. And the others would have, sooner or later, catch them anyway.

Re: Re:

Vroome.exe said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Vroome.exe said:
Gaviria was the last one to bridge to the front group and immediately started pulling. It doesn't look like he's on a bad form, maybe just unlucky in the first two stages.

I believe that was Richeze, no?

I think they were both, probably Richeze pulling for Gav. It didn't look particularly hard for them to bridge, i don't know how others didn't manage it.

Just watched again, looked like it was Daniele Bennati and Quintana from Movistar right behind thme but Quintana couldn't hold his wheel so they let a gap go

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Kangert, Grosschartner, Rolland and Foli caught out. Kangert didn't lose that much time tho.

Surprisingly, all of the bigger GC-rider avoided timeless. Impressive I must say.

EDIT: Rohan Dennis lost +5 minutes. Game over.

But Dennis wasn't riding for the GC :confused: Well, he isn't the BMC GC leader in this Giro - yet. :rolleyes:

Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
Reckon Haas made a tactical error with 1.3km to go. He was the only rider on Jungel's wheel when the lead group split - Haas needed to put the hammer down and it's possible the others may not have come back - Haas is a tactically naive rider.
But then Jungels would have not worked with him alone. And the other would have, sooner or later, catch them anyway.

Haas didn't need Jungels to work with him - Ride Jungels off your wheel and then Jungels is given a chance.

yaco said:
Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
But then Jungels would have not worked with him alone. And the other would have, sooner or later, catch them anyway.

Haas didn't need Jungels to work with him - Ride Jungels off your wheel and then Jungels is given a chance.
And Jungels was looking back for Gavira at that point too but it was only a brief opportunity

Anyway if Haas sat on and got taken to the line he'd be accused of being "another Gerro" so he's dammed either way

Just watched again, looked like it was Daniele Bennati and Quintana from Movistar right behind thme but Quintana couldn't hold his wheel so they let a gap go[/quote]

I haven't watched it a second time but that was what I thought when I saw it live.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Kangert, Grosschartner, Rolland and Foli caught out. Kangert didn't lose that much time tho.

Surprisingly, all of the bigger GC-rider avoided timeless. Impressive I must say.

BMC said at the start that they only wanted Dennis to finish the race so five minutes lost is meaningless. He's there as a domestique anyway.

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

BMC said at the start that they only wanted Dennis to finish the race so five minutes lost is meaningless. He's there as a domestique anyway.
Dennis was trying himself out as a GC-contender, so I don't really know where you are going. I think it was pretty relevant to note he lost 5 minutes, you could also tell he was very disappointed with that very fact.

Valv.Piti said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:

Dennis was trying himself out as a GC-contender, so I don't really know where you are going. I think it was pretty relevant to note he lost 5 minutes, you could also tell he was very disappointed with that very fact.
Sure, he was disappointed but it really means nothing. He wasn't ever going to finish on the podium. The differences in the end are going to be so substantial that 5 minutes won't be all that important in his case, since this race is a test for him to see how he holds up riding for GC. He's not going to change the way he rides the race. If he finishes 13th and would have finished 10th without the time loss it doesn't really change much.

Yingge said:
Valv.Piti said:

But Dennis wasn't riding for the GC :confused: Well, he isn't the BMC GC leader in this Giro - yet. :rolleyes:

Maybe he was - slightly secondary - co-leader with Van Garderen. However, now he's not any kind of leader.

mariposa said:
Just watched again, looked like it was Daniele Bennati and Quintana from Movistar right behind thme but Quintana couldn't hold his wheel so they let a gap go

I haven't watched it a second time but that was what I thought when I saw it live.
I saw it again and it looks like it was Quintana who created the separation. Just couldn't go with the Quick Step riders. Bennati slowed down immediately. Then 2 others Quick Step riders jumped out of the group. It is possible that if had Quintana gone on the front group the chase would have been a lot harder and the front runners would have been caught.

Gigs_98 said:
spiritualride said:
Nairo is the one who caused the gap? Nice catch. Not a good sign for a rider looking to win a GT ...
Then again nairo is a lightweight climber, so it's not exactly suprising that he has problems in crosswinds. I'd be surprised if the same hadn't happened to a guy like yates.
Happened to Contador as well and he obliterated people in 2009 where he lost time in the echelons when he couldn't hold the wheel, Miburo reminded me of that yesterday (he should also on paper be better in crosswinds than Nairo as he has a few extra kgs).